Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
Maybe PaCkFan_n_MD is right, we shouldn't retire his number................or anyone else's in the future. I thought I heard/read somewhere that the league frowns on that now. Enshrining him in the Packer HOF should suffice and we wouldn't find the need to rehash this again for the umpteenth time.
Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
Sorry but 'again', we're talking Brett Favre here:

Brett Favre's NO. 4 will 'in fact' be retired as his service, dedication and outstanding play as a 'GREAT' Green Bay Packer 'only' deserves 'special 'recognition.

SPECIAL recognition set apart from most other Packers; by 'the fact of his number being retired'.
I've never been a big fan of the whole number retirement thing. To me, if done at all, it should be an extremely rare occurrence, reserved for individuals who show a commitment and dedication to the team that goes far beyond their athletic performance. It should be awarded to those who truly became Packers for life, and aided the organization beyond their performances on the field. I recognize that in today's "it's all about business" environment for pro sports it will be hard to develop that relationship, but so be it, in my opinion.

I went on record here as disagreeing with the retirement of #92.

Considering his venomous attack on the organization, his attempts to undermine the organization, his continued cold shoulder toward the organization and the exposure of the person he was while a player, I am no more interested in the retirement of #4 than I was #92.