Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Draft Day 3

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I'm assuming that the Packers knew more about Dean Lowry than the profile that I just on NFL.com, which made him sound like a 7th rounder. Their board said differently, I guess.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    Two down run stuffer is the same thing some scouts said of Kenny Clark.
    Not really--since Clark had 6 sacks last year and many think he has more pass rush potential than other NTs in this draft.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I'm assuming that the Packers knew more about Dean Lowry than the profile that I just on NFL.com, which made him sound like a 7th rounder. Their board said differently, I guess.
    He was a late riser, and NFL.com generally doesn't update their reports during the draft process. I'm not on my PC, but there were some glowing reports late that had me projecting Lowry to the Packers in the draft contest.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

39(137) Packers (Compensatory Selection) Lowry, Dean DE 6'6" 296 Northwestern 5.2

DE ...Dean Lowry ...Northwestern Big Ten .....Grade 5.2

Isn't he a REACH !?

Draft Projection Round 7 or priority free agent

Bottom Line Try-hard player with good size who is always active. While he won’t be considered a pass rushing threat, Lowry’s production was a function of effort and flashes of power and the aforementioned traits and qualities give him a good shot at being drafted and becoming an NFL backup.

OK sorry I just got it :

Weaknesses ** Short arms and small hands prevent him from posting higher win percentage at point of attack

** ' short arms ' makes him a Ted Thompson Guy !

The final picks:

40(138) Browns (Compensatory Selection) Devalve, Seth TE 6'4" 245 Princeton 4.9

41(139) Bills (Compensatory Selection) Jones, Cardale QB 6'5" 253 Ohio St. 5.4

End of ROUND FOUR.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-30-2016 at 01:21 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Unfortunately, I really like the Bears draft.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
    Good article. I like the read. Packer guy

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawild...e54f9ea11.html
    After reading this article, I'm on the Martinez fan club!
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Now TT trades down to add another 6 and bring back our 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Mike Mayock says Andrew Billings slide has nothing to do with character or injury concerns just that he's predominantly a 2-down run stuffer
    Good Christ, Billings has more shake than Clark... you can see it on the tape.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Unfortunately, I really like the Bears draft.

So does everybody watching this process.

Da Bears are killing it.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/tracke...team-input:chi
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-30-2016 at 01:29 PM.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Not really--since Clark had 6 sacks last year and many think he has more pass rush potential than other NTs in this draft.
    Right, but some scouts do not feel he's a three down player. I hope to hell they're wrong.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...377539121.html

AFC scout: "Strong at the point of attack. Stout. I see him as a two-down player. I don't see him as a third-down player. He's a bull rusher. Most of the guys that play nose tackle are bull rushers."

On Thursday afternoon, a scout for an AFC team was asked how he saw a possible decision between Clark and Butler.

"I put a lot of value in versatility and pass rush," the executive said. "You're in nickel 60% of the time. Why are you drafting for 40% of the time? When the game's on the line you're in nickel, not base. "On the other hand, you can't stop the run if you don't have a nose tackle. With Clark, they'll be better in their run defense but they still haven't addressed the 60% issue.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Good Christ, Billings has more shake than Clark... you can see it on the tape.
    You just have to watch this entire process unfold before it becomes obvious you could draft better than Ted Thompson.

It's rather comical.....but too damn familiar. Ted gives you a little smell of something good then hammers you with a sack of shit.

Soon he'll hopefully be gone.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    A more flattering report on Lowry: http://www.insidenu.com/2016/4/25/11...ombine-40-time
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Good article on Lowry: http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/04/07/nfl...y-northwestern

I'm on board big time.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

The Boston Herald wrote a piece on Martinez last Sunday saying he would be a great pick for New England . Opening quote from the story: "The more you get to know Stanford’s Blake Martinez, the more there is to like, especially if you’re an NFL team with a need at linebacker." http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/p..._patriots_mold
    Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another.
    Vince Lombardi

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Did Dahl go kinda early?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerinmaine View Post
    The Boston Herald wrote a piece on Martinez last Sunday saying he would be a great pick for New England . Opening quote from the story: "The more you get to know Stanford’s Blake Martinez, the more there is to like, especially if you’re an NFL team with a need at linebacker." http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/p..._patriots_mold
    LB? That's one big LB.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Did Dahl go kinda early?
    Not really. Guys are being picked all over the map now. But it's about the right spot for Dahl.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Sure.

Story on Lowry from his home town paper, the Rockford Register-Star http://www.rrstar.com/article/20160427/SPORTS/160429547
    Quotes: "Lowry has been projected as anywhere from a fifth- to seventh-round pick"

"Always known as the “smart” defensive end in his four years at Northwestern, the 6-foot-6, 296-pound Boylan grad has been showing NFL teams he is far more athletic than his reputation would suggest. Lowry ran a 4.87-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine, tied for the fastest time of any player weighing at least 290 pounds, and bench pressed 225 pounds 30 times, finishing in the top 10 of all players at the Combine.
    “That was my plan, to show teams I’m not just an academic guy, that I am athletic too,” Lowry said. “Teams were impressed by my Combine performance. I showed I have the explosive traits to play in the NFL."

"The biggest knocks on Lowry, who had a Northwestern-record six tackles for loss against Nebraska, are that his arms measured only 31 inches at the Combine, tied for the shortest of any defensive lineman, and that he isn’t a great pass rusher. He is strongest against the run."
    Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another.
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    You just have to watch this entire process unfold before it becomes obvious you could draft better than Ted Thompson.

It's rather comical.....but too damn familiar. Ted gives you a little smell of something good then hammers you with a sack of shit.

Soon he'll hopefully be gone.
    If by soon you mean "several years" then yes...it will be "soon".

I love the instant draft grades from the chicken littles.