View Poll Results: Is friction building between McCarthy and Thompson?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. 2 published reports, its officially a thing.

0 0%
  • Nope. Single report, one source, that could have been mere speculation.

17 100.00%

Thread: Mike McCarthy Is On The Hot Seat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Sitton is a "very good" pass blocker - which is all the Packers really care about - while he is just an average, probably below average run blocker.

No, that does not cut the mustard to being an overall "very good" player. He is a good player.

Lang is a notch below Sitton, maybe a slightly better run blocker...
    Sitton is more than "very good" as a pass blocker. He didn't give up a sack in 37 consecutive games until this year and typically yields about 10 pressures per year. What more do you expect? As a run blocker, he typically is credited by McGinn with only about 10-12 bad runs in a year. Is he a road grader clearing paths for ball carrier? No, but I'm not sure anyone would be in the Packers offense. Sitton has been generally mentioned as one of the best five guards in any list you see. How is that not an impact player when the league has 64 starters at guard?

If Sitton was on another team, you would call him a great pick, and criticize TT for having passed on him while taking Joe Schmoe. But, since he actually is a Packer, he naturally isn't that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Sitton is more than "very good" as a pass blocker. He didn't give up a sack in 37 consecutive games until this year and typically yields about 10 pressures per year. What more do you expect? As a run blocker, he typically is credited by McGinn with only about 10-12 bad runs in a year. Is he a road grader clearing paths for ball carrier? No, but I'm not sure anyone would be in the Packers offense. Sitton has been generally mentioned as one of the best five guards in any list you see. How is that not an impact player when the league has 64 starters at guard?

If Sitton was on another team, you would call him a great pick, and criticize TT for having passed on him while taking Joe Schmoe. But, since he actually is a Packer, he naturally isn't that good.

If only Thompson and McCarthy didn't enjoy having soft teams so much!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

How many turnovers does he have? Passes broken up? Touchdowns?

Only skill position players who are the top 2 in the league are good enough picks. Anything less is average at best.

I consider Sitton a "great" pick... just not an elite player.

Get over it you guys, lol... you're such homers - if someone doesn't agree with every greatness green and gold utterance you guys make - it's blasphemy, and the sinner who uttered the offending words is a heretic!!!
    wist

Get over it you guys, lol... you're such homers - if someone doesn't agree with every greatness green and gold utterance you guys make - it's blasphemy, and the sinner who uttered the offending words is a heretic!!!
    This discussion has lost focus and definition. You started out discussing "impact players". That changed to "elite players". I think they are different, with elite being a higher category. You see Sitton as neither, which I may disagree with, but can understand. The part I find astonishing is that you said Sitton does not even earn "very good" status, just "good". I think that is absurd.

This discussion has lost focus and definition. You started out discussing "impact players". That changed to "elite players". I think they are different, with elite being a higher category. You see Sitton as neither, which I may disagree with, but can understand. The part I find astonishing is that you said Sitton does not even earn "very good" status, just "good". I think that is absurd.
    How many levels of goodness are there?? lol...

If having a turnstile at G is getting Rodgers killed on a regular basis - and Sitton stepping in and solidifying the position makes life cozy for Rodgers?? Then okay, he's an "impact player"...

That said, how often is Rodgers running for his life?? Seems like all the time. Granted some of that is due to holding the ball, which in turn may be a function of receivers not getting open...

Which leads us back to - what's wrong with the picture?? If receivers are not getting open - then do we have "elite" receivers?? No, of course we don't - Nelson is close to that though. And if Rodgers is constantly running for his life - which he is a good amount of the time - you can't blame it all on receivers not getting open - bacteria is a turnstile, but it isn't all on bacteria. Rodgers gets pressure from all over the place - I don't know who is doing the grading, or counting pressures, but that can be a pretty subjective walk around the church.

Something is pretty wrong with the picture - if all these players are "elite", or "impact", or "very good", or "good"... no?? If the worst player we had in our starting lineup was "good" - why are we not winning more championships?? M3 wearing panties on game day??

We're likely a 2nd tier contender again this year... right off the top Seattle, Arizona, and Carolina are all better than we are - and that is only in the NFC. Again, if we have the best player in the league, why are we not a top-tier contender?? We're in the conversation b/c of Rodgers, but I think most people would admit that all of those teams I mentioned are better than the Packers.
    wist

Blog Entries
    How many levels of goodness are there?? lol...

If having a turnstile at G is getting Rodgers killed on a regular basis - and Sitton stepping in and solidifying the position makes life cozy for Rodgers?? Then okay, he's an "impact player"...

That said, how often is Rodgers running for his life?? Seems like all the time. Granted some of that is due to holding the ball, which in turn may be a function of receivers not getting open...

Which leads us back to - what's wrong with the picture?? If receivers are not getting open - then do we have "elite" receivers?? No, of course we don't - Nelson is close to that though. And if Rodgers is constantly running for his life - which he is a good amount of the time - you can't blame it all on receivers not getting open - bacteria is a turnstile, but it isn't all on bacteria. Rodgers gets pressure from all over the place - I don't know who is doing the grading, or counting pressures, but that can be a pretty subjective walk around the church.

Something is pretty wrong with the picture - if all these players are "elite", or "impact", or "very good", or "good"... no?? If the worst player we had in our starting lineup was "good" - why are we not winning more championships?? M3 wearing panties on game day??

We're likely a 2nd tier contender again this year... right off the top Seattle, Arizona, and Carolina are all better than we are - and that is only in the NFC. Again, if we have the best player in the league, why are we not a top-tier contender?? We're in the conversation b/c of Rodgers, but I think most people would admit that all of those teams I mentioned are better than the Packers.

pretty much agree with this; AZ seems ready to make a run
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    pretty much agree with this; AZ seems ready to make a run
    They better hope Carson Palmer doesn't start to show his age and actually performs well in the playoffs.

If someone doesn't agree with you, they are homers.