Thread: Official Packers Saints Game Day Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Shame of these last two games is they are games Green Bay undoubtedly wins with Rodgers and weren't even competitive in either game without him, though they did actually manage a lead against the Saints at halftime.
    At halftime? They lead in the 4th quarter until 10:21 left in the game.
    The game was there to be won, if the defense could have made a stop sometime in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    The game was there to be won, if the defense could have scored sometime in the second half.
    Fixed it for you.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    It didn't need to be fixed. The offense did move the ball, albeit inconsistently, hut had few 2nd half opportunities because the defense couldn't get off the field. You can't expect the offense to routinely put up 30 points, and score on almost every possession.The simple fact, which everyone wants to overlook, is that they had a lead with 10 minutes left in the game even though the defense hadn't stopped a drive and didn't, the entire second half.

A stop here or there by the defense would have given the offense another opportunity or two, maybe another Fg or TD, and a different game at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    It didn't need to be fixed. The offense did move the ball, albeit inconsistently, hut had few 2nd half opportunities because the defense couldn't get off the field. You can't expect the offense to routinely put up 30 points, and score on almost every possession.The simple fact, which everyone wants to overlook, is that they had a lead with 10 minutes left in the game even though the defense hadn't stopped a drive and didn't, the entire second half.

A stop here or there by the defense would have given the offense another opportunity or two, maybe another Fg or TD, and a different game at the end.
    Starting position wasn't good. New Orleans average the 30 yard line. Packers averaged the 18 (this was hurt by the penalty on the big Davis return).

But the second half offense looked like this:

GB 25 yard line, 5 plays, 18 yards. Punt
    GB 19 yard line, 10 plays, 38 yards (plus 15 on penalty). FG
    GB 10 yard line. 3 plays, 6 yards. Punt
    GB 25 yard line.3 plays, 4 yards. Int.

I don't think that can be defined as moving the ball. McCarthy was mad as he gets publicly over the second half and this was the main reason. Whatever they cooked up at half time backfired. In the first half (with one huge Jones run) they had 195 net yards. In the second half, they had 65.

C'mon. Defense wasn't good. But the second half offense was putrid.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Starting position wasn't good. New Orleans average the 30 yard line. Packers averaged the 18 (this was hurt by the penalty on the big Davis return).

But the second half offense looked like this:

GB 25 yard line, 5 plays, 18 yards. Punt
    GB 19 yard line, 10 plays, 38 yards (plus 15 on penalty). FG
    GB 10 yard line. 3 plays, 6 yards. Punt
    GB 25 yard line.3 plays, 4 yards. Int.

I don't think that can be defined as moving the ball. McCarthy was mad as he gets publicly over the second half and this was the main reason. Whatever they cooked up at half time backfired. In the first half (with one huge Jones run) they had 195 net yards. In the second half, they had 65.

C'mon. Defense wasn't good. But the second half offense was putrid.
    Stubby was also pissed about the defense. He specifically said if they could have made some stops the offense would have had more chances. Four series - really three - in one half is not good. And that's not on the offense (in fact, you could say the offense gave itself more opportunities for possessions by making some of them so short!)

But Stubby even told the sideline reporter that they were going to run and then do play action. But they never really did. Virtually all passes cam from gun/pistol formation. The only 'play action' they really did was the reverse type - inside run handoffs from pistol (and the QB/RB option if you want to count that). But they never really got the LBs to bite on a play action pass.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck