Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
FROM MIKE GREENBERG (A JETS LOVER)

I have heard that Rodgers has sent signals to the Jets that there is no reason to rush, that he's not coming til May anyway so there is no reason to rush
I have wondered if Arod, who is not a dumb guy, has been "helping" the Jets negotiate. Surely he'd have known that the "90% sure" he was going to retire thing would lower his trade value, as it indicated he's more likely to be one-and-done than he is to play two or more years.

And if he wants that SB ring now, or at least to have another MVP year, it behooves him - and the Jets - to have them keep as many of this year's picks as possible. Signaling publicly you were thisclose to retiring would slow the process down and help the Jets by giving them a bit of public cover for pulling back on the (supposed) earlier offer. And if Greenberg is correct, Rodgers is signaling to his not-yet-new-team that they should hold fast and wait the Packers out - thus keeping all of this year's picks, which is in Rodgers's best interests.

As to Dan and his claim about trading valuable assets and all that, and saying this isn't like some old coffee table - well, that's how Dan is treating this. Not that Rodgers is a human being who is employed by a monopoly known as the NFL and is seeking a good employment situation for himself - but is, like a coffee table, something to be bartered at the best price possible. I get it, that point of view, but it certainly treats Rodgers more like a coffee table than a human being who is trying to put himself in what he thinks is his best employment situation.