Thread: Official Randall Cobb FA Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Let's say Cobb is worth $9M/year, that doesn't automatically mean the Packers should give it to him. No team can afford to have top paid guys at every position. Without Nelson, they might be happy to pay that to Cobb. If both were FAs, I wonder which would be their priority?

Some sya slot receivers are not being paid that much, but Cobb is more than just a slot receiver. His versatility allowed MM to be more creative.

The next couple weeks will be interesting.
    Some of that creativity is because Cobb doesn't escape press man coverage well. In the backfield, he is more likely to get a linebacker. He isn't in the backfield to run, though they do need to run him on occasion to keep the defense honest with that linebacker.

He is an odd slot receiver. He is better at getting open after the play has broken down. The Packers would certainly miss him, but I am not convinced he is worth Nelson money. That would be a signing down out of lack of depth. Someone mentioned the last three draft picks need to pay off, but while Adams would seem ready to step in, Abbredaris, Boykin and Janis are uncertainties.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Some of that creativity is because Cobb doesn't escape press man coverage well. In the backfield, he is more likely to get a linebacker. He isn't in the backfield to run, though they do need to run him on occasion to keep the defense honest with that linebacker.

He is an odd slot receiver. He is better at getting open after the play has broken down. The Packers would certainly miss him, but I am not convinced he is worth Nelson money. That would be a signing down out of lack of depth. Someone mentioned the last three draft picks need to pay off, but while Adams would seem ready to step in, Abbredaris, Boykin and Janis are uncertainties.
    I'd say Boykin's a certainty
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

At times I think NFL front offices need to be concerned about the perception that they are willing to re-sign their very top talent. The Packers being primarily a draft and develop team, it is important for them to retain the best of the developed talent, and that would be Cobb among the skill position guys. It might be tougher to retain that talent if the perception by the players ever becomes, "I get drafted by the Packers, I play at a high, productive level, and they let me walk before my second contract." That would not be a good trend. I understand that you also shouldn't do FA signings as PR moves, but to me, if you are not going to sign your best, who are you going to sign? As many have noted here, TT usually gets a second contract done with highly productive players. I see them getting something done with Cobb.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    At times I think NFL front offices need to be concerned about the perception that they are willing to re-sign their very top talent. The Packers being primarily a draft and develop team, it is important for them to retain the best of the developed talent, and that would be Cobb among the skill position guys. It might be tougher to retain that talent if the perception by the players ever becomes, "I get drafted by the Packers, I play at a high, productive level, and they let me walk before my second contract." That would not be a good trend. I understand that you also shouldn't do FA signings as PR moves, but to me, if you are not going to sign your best, who are you going to sign? As many have noted here, TT usually gets a second contract done with highly productive players. I see them getting something done with Cobb.
    Common sense dictates that YOU ARE 100% correct !!

If the packers lose COB the Packers advertising of Draft and develop and it's all about the family will be seriously left in ill repute.

TT must get this done and retain Randall Cobb.

TT's failed in the obvious before.....Randy Moss..and that cost the Packers another Super Bowl berth and likely win. I can 'only' hope that lack of focus and all the scapegoating I read here on that ....took Ted Thompson 'to school'.

The reputation of Ted Thompson and the 'Green Bay Packer FAMILY' is seriously on the line and Randall Cobb.

GO Ted Thompson GO !! >>> GO PACK GO !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau