Thread: The Defense - Again, the Defense :(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Good post, it was interesting to see what the NY Jets did on D. They stayed in base with 3 WR and shut Lacy down. They also allowed Jordy to go for over 200 yards. If you have a real good QB/RB combo defenses are going to have trouble defending you.
    I've seen that argument but I think that's the wrong way to look at it. Jordy was getting his yards no matter what, their boundary corners are just not good enough to stop him. The guy who had the most to gain from the Jets sitting in base was Cobb and he only gained 39 yards while being mostly covered by linebackers and safeties. Also our tight ends did nothing. They shut down a lot more than just Lacy.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I've seen that argument but I think that's the wrong way to look at it. Jordy was getting his yards no matter what, their boundary corners are just not good enough to stop him. The guy who had the most to gain from the Jets sitting in base was Cobb and he only gained 39 yards while being mostly covered by linebackers and safeties. Also our tight ends did nothing. They shut down a lot more than just Lacy.
    31, in some respects, would you agree that MM shut it down by not showing it? They can't defense what you don't throw at them. Only MM can explain why.

As for Cobb, it may have been you, possibly someone else, but I agree regardless, that he needs more YAC if he has a more favorable coverage matchup. I imagined that they would get even more imaginative with Cobb's touches, but so far have played it fairly straight, save for the running play I recall. How about a Percy Harvin-like jet sweet Cobb style?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    31, in some respects, would you agree that MM shut it down by not showing it? They can't defense what you don't throw at them. Only MM can explain why.

As for Cobb, it may have been you, possibly someone else, but I agree regardless, that he needs more YAC if he has a more favorable coverage matchup. I imagined that they would get even more imaginative with Cobb's touches, but so far have played it fairly straight, save for the running play I recall. How about a Percy Harvin-like jet sweet Cobb style?
    I'm not sure Cobb is fast enough to run sweeps. Harvin ran a 4.41 and Cobb a 4.46 but Harvin looks a hell of a lot faster. Cobb has me concerned a little bit. It feels like he has lost a bit of speed coming off his injury.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    I'm not sure Cobb is fast enough to run sweeps. Harvin ran a 4.41 and Cobb a 4.46 but Harvin looks a hell of a lot faster. Cobb has me concerned a little bit. It feels like he has lost a bit of speed coming off his injury.
    He looks jacked, like he might have overdone it a little bit in the weight room. But then rehab was all he had to really focus on for several months. It's not a surprise he bulked up some.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post

I've got no issues with how MM refused to run against a stacked front. A stacked front vs Aaron Rodgers is the kind of thing we've dreamed of ever since we got Lacy. But the fact that we still couldn't get much going, especially with Cobb in what would appear to be a great matchup for him shows the merit of a 1-gap defense perfectly IMO.

I think Cobb is way too slow to pull of the Harvin sweep type plays. I'd like to see Cobb outrun a linebacker before I ask him to outrun an entire defense.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Single high safety helped his touchdown.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.