Thread: WR Routes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Went into this season thinking that Rodgers made the wide receivers better than they actually are. I mistakenly thought that the loss of Nelson would be easily covered by Rodgers' accuracy and the emergence of Adams. Defenses have pretty quickly learned that double covering Cobb and man coverage on the rest of the receivers is a formula to victory. Rodgers refuses to throw to a covered receiver in order to avoid the interception and, whether it's mental or physical, his accuracy has been ordinary---better than Newton, much worse than Brady. Until the last couple of games, I thought the OL was part of the problem. I've changed my opinion on that, they held up and gave a very clean pocket and the results have been the same. Around 50% completions, no YAC, no deep balls with any chance of completion, every accurate throw contested, and almost every drive stalling after a couple of first downs.

I remember the biggest complaint in past seasons being the attempted long pass on 3rd and short. Our staple play of a 5 yard pass with a 10 yard YAC has been replaced with a 1 yard pass and immediate tackle to R Rodgers, or a throw away pass out of bounds. If not for screen passes, I don't think Rodgers would have had 100 yards. It would have been Denver all over again.

The offense SEEMS to have fixed the problem with the run game, but for 7 games, they have not come up with a fix for our passing game. I'm really beginning to believe they will not come up with a fix. Adams is what he is, a receiver with average hands, little speed, below average route running ability, no ability to cause separation from the defender. Jones has good hands, below average speed, below average route running ability, and cannot separate from the defender. Cobb is a good slot receiver with good quickness but below average deep speed, He's never been a route runner, and his hands are average to below average. Single covered he can generate YAC, double covered, he's no factor. R Rodgers has good hands, poor speed, actually can get open on short routes, but has the least YAC ability of anyone on the team. He's a master of the 0 to 3 yard pass. The bench of Montgomery, Abbredaris, and Janis, either are too raw or too injury prone to make much difference in the passing attack. We focus on Janis because of his speed, but it's pretty telling that he can't get on the field given the collection of inferior talent that's ahead of him on the depth chart.

Announcers say our offense is out of sync. I think the problem is the players, not the plays. Rodgers has lost accuracy and may have lost confidence in his very pedestrian corps of receivers. Really no easy fix. We can scheme a guy open once in a while, but the defense will counter that scheme and stop it pretty quickly. The players have to beat their man and that just isn't happening. Think of it this way. Nelson took a double team and was able to make plays. Cobb was single covered and could free lance. He usually had the #3 corner on him and he could beat him. Adams had either the #1 corner who took him out of the game or the #2 corner whom he sometimes could beat. This team has Adams facing the #1 corner whom he can't beat. Cobb facing the #3 corner with safety help and he doesn't get open. Jones facing the #2 corner and sometimes he gets 100 yards and sometimes he gets nothing. I just don't see a magic fix for our problems.

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    Went into this season thinking that Rodgers made the wide receivers better than they actually are. I mistakenly thought that the loss of Nelson would be easily covered by Rodgers' accuracy and the emergence of Adams. Defenses have pretty quickly learned that double covering Cobb and man coverage on the rest of the receivers is a formula to victory. Rodgers refuses to throw to a covered receiver in order to avoid the interception and, whether it's mental or physical, his accuracy has been ordinary---better than Newton, much worse than Brady. Until the last couple of games, I thought the OL was part of the problem. I've changed my opinion on that, they held up and gave a very clean pocket and the results have been the same. Around 50% completions, no YAC, no deep balls with any chance of completion, every accurate throw contested, and almost every drive stalling after a couple of first downs.

I remember the biggest complaint in past seasons being the attempted long pass on 3rd and short. Our staple play of a 5 yard pass with a 10 yard YAC has been replaced with a 1 yard pass and immediate tackle to R Rodgers, or a throw away pass out of bounds. If not for screen passes, I don't think Rodgers would have had 100 yards. It would have been Denver all over again.

The offense SEEMS to have fixed the problem with the run game, but for 7 games, they have not come up with a fix for our passing game. I'm really beginning to believe they will not come up with a fix. Adams is what he is, a receiver with average hands, little speed, below average route running ability, no ability to cause separation from the defender. Jones has good hands, below average speed, below average route running ability, and cannot separate from the defender. Cobb is a good slot receiver with good quickness but below average deep speed, He's never been a route runner, and his hands are average to below average. Single covered he can generate YAC, double covered, he's no factor. R Rodgers has good hands, poor speed, actually can get open on short routes, but has the least YAC ability of anyone on the team. He's a master of the 0 to 3 yard pass. The bench of Montgomery, Abbredaris, and Janis, either are too raw or too injury prone to make much difference in the passing attack. We focus on Janis because of his speed, but it's pretty telling that he can't get on the field given the collection of inferior talent that's ahead of him on the depth chart.

Announcers say our offense is out of sync. I think the problem is the players, not the plays. Rodgers has lost accuracy and may have lost confidence in his very pedestrian corps of receivers. Really no easy fix. We can scheme a guy open once in a while, but the defense will counter that scheme and stop it pretty quickly. The players have to beat their man and that just isn't happening. Think of it this way. Nelson took a double team and was able to make plays. Cobb was single covered and could free lance. He usually had the #3 corner on him and he could beat him. Adams had either the #1 corner who took him out of the game or the #2 corner whom he sometimes could beat. This team has Adams facing the #1 corner whom he can't beat. Cobb facing the #3 corner with safety help and he doesn't get open. Jones facing the #2 corner and sometimes he gets 100 yards and sometimes he gets nothing. I just don't see a magic fix for our problems.
    Yep, good analysis of the WR's. I just wish they would use bunch formations or motion, something. Think of how often we see the opposition bunch WR's and how often a guy comes open due to somebody blowing coverage (i.e. the TD to Miller last night). We rarely do that, and when we have it has worked. Montgomery scored TD against Rams when he and Cobb lined up next to each other and both DB's followed Cobb. Montgomery had the entire middle of the field to himself.
    Go PACK