Thread: official 2014 nfl draft thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    why? because his big board doesn't match all the others who are getting their info from the same sources?

i believe he just did his rantings for his big board in the last week, so its up to date based on his opinions

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    why? because his big board doesn't match all the others who are getting their info from the same sources?

i believe he just did his rantings for his big board in the last week, so its up to date based on his opinions
    I'd be curious to see what his rankings of safeties from previous years look like -- it would be a decent gauge of whether he's accurate or not.
    I thought last year was supposed to be a bad year for safety, and IIRC the year before wasn't touted as that great either. My sense is that it's a little better than last year, probably about how it was 2 years ago.

To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure what a good draft for safety does look like. Usually there are 2-3 that get taken in the top 50 picks, and that will be the case again this year IMO.

Pretty sure Tahj Boyd was the guy who a GB scout was quoted as calling more or less undraftable, but I think that was based on Senior Bowl practices and game where he struggled (7-16 31 yds 1 Int) and the fact that he's under 6'1". Had good WRs at Clemson (Watkins, Bryant, DeAndre Hopkins) who could beat most secondaries. I think Boyd is rated about a R5 or R6 pick and if you're looking for a backup with mobility and good character he's your guy. I don't think he's accurate enough to come in the middle of the 3Q of a game and rally a team to win in the pros. I'd rather spend a R5/6 pick on another player.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I'd be curious to see what his rankings of safeties from previous years look like -- it would be a decent gauge of whether he's accurate or not.
    I thought last year was supposed to be a bad year for safety, and IIRC the year before wasn't touted as that great either. My sense is that it's a little better than last year, probably about how it was 2 years ago.

To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure what a good draft for safety does look like. Usually there are 2-3 that get taken in the top 50 picks, and that will be the case again this year IMO.

Pretty sure Tahj Boyd was the guy who a GB scout was quoted as calling more or less undraftable, but I think that was based on Senior Bowl practices and game where he struggled (7-16 31 yds 1 Int) and the fact that he's under 6'1". Had good WRs at Clemson (Watkins, Bryant, DeAndre Hopkins) who could beat most secondaries. I think Boyd is rated about a R5 or R6 pick and if you're looking for a backup with mobility and good character he's your guy. I don't think he's accurate enough to come in the middle of the 3Q of a game and rally a team to win in the pros. I'd rather spend a R5/6 pick on another player.
    http://www.draftace.com/player-ranki...13-rankings-2/

elam- 87
    cyprien- 86
    Shamarko Thomas- 84
    D.J. Swearinger- 87
    Kenny Vaccaro- 84
    Eric Reid- 84

so he has both clinton dix and pryor ranked higher then all the safeties last year and he has jimmy ward rated just as highly as anyone last year

the link for the 2012 ratings are broken or something, but the 2011 ratings work and he only had one guy with a rating above 80

http://www.draftace.com/player-ranki...13-rankings-2/

elam- 87
    cyprien- 86
    Shamarko Thomas- 84
    D.J. Swearinger- 87
    Kenny Vaccaro- 84
    Eric Reid- 84

so he has both clinton dix and pryor ranked higher then all the safeties last year and he has jimmy ward rated just as highly as anyone last year

the link for the 2012 ratings are broken or something, but the 2011 ratings work and he only had one guy with a rating above 80

2011:
    Rk Player School Rating
    1. Rahim Moore UCLA 87
    2. Quinton Carter Oklahoma 78
    3. DeAndre McDaniel Clemson 76
    4. Tyler Sash Iowa 75
    5. Deunta Williams North Carolina 72
    6. Jaiquawn Jarrett Temple 69
    7. Robert Sands West Virginia 68
    8. Joe Lefeged Rutgers 67
    9. Eugene Clifford Tennessee State 64
    10. Chris Conte California 63

2012:
    1. Mark Barron Alabama 93 –
    2. Harrison Smith Notre Dame 85 –
    3. Antonio Allen South Carolina 66 –
    4. Trenton Robinson Michigan State 65 –
    5. George Iloka Boise State 65 –
    6. Brandon Taylor LSU 63 –
    7. Janzen Jackson McNeese State 62 –
    8. Christian Thompson South Carolina St 61 –
    9. Markelle Martin Oklahoma State 60 –
    10. Aaron Henry Wisconsin 57 –

Yuck. Yeah, maybe this class is better than the last few for safeties

Mainly because he has Jared Abbrederis as the 6th best WR in the draft. If Jared Abbrederis is the 6th best WR in this draft, then the talent in this year's WR class has been vastly overrated.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson