Thread: More Banjo: Week 3 vs. Cincinnati

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Most teams are gonna suffer if 5 starters are in street clothes like ours were yesterday.
    And none of the 5 injured players were a HOF'er named Aaron Rodgers - this ain't my first rodeo! AR threw a rare pick six yesterday and he had to be perfect for the rest of the game for this Packers team to win. Fortunately there's a lot of talent and help on offense but we don't get those 9-0 wins (versus NY Jets 2010) where the Packers defense just won games for us. Green Bay Packers is a solidly built football club with a HOF QB. Only one or two QBs in the league could carry this franchise to be the contender that they are now with AR.

In modern football you actually win SBs without a top 5 QB...IF you have a great defense. Ravens, Seahawks, Broncos (Peyton was done) and to some extend the two Giants SB wins but Eli Manning was a HOF in those games. My point is; with a great defense and a well balanced built team, you don't need a HOF QB to play hero ball. Packers need a Greek god-like QB to win the SB and that's becoming a rarer thing to win in that fashion - Brady is a HOF QB but he's had much better teams. Packers won their last SB with a much better roster that overcame injuries, had a great defense and had an emerging HOF QB. Rodgers has actually played better since the SB win with only some minor slumps. To me, Aaron Rodgers is the best QB I've ever seen play but I can't truely judge any QB from before the 1980'ties. I want AR to win the 14th and even the 15th NFL championship for Green Bay. I just don't like the odds.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    And none of the 5 injured players were a HOF'er named Aaron Rodgers - this ain't my first rodeo! AR threw a rare pick six yesterday and he had to be perfect for the rest of the game for this Packers team to win. Fortunately there's a lot of talent and help on offense but we don't get those 9-0 wins (versus NY Jets 2010) where the Packers defense just won games for us. Green Bay Packers is a solidly built football club with a HOF QB. Only one or two QBs in the league could carry this franchise to be the contender that they are now with AR.

In modern football you actually win SBs without a top 5 QB...IF you have a great defense. Ravens, Seahawks, Broncos (Peyton was done) and to some extend the two Giants SB wins but Eli Manning was a HOF in those games. My point is; with a great defense and a well balanced built team, you don't need a HOF QB to play hero ball. Packers need a Greek god-like QB to win the SB and that's becoming a rarer thing to win in that fashion - Brady is a HOF QB but he's had much better teams. Packers won their last SB with a much better roster that overcame injuries, had a great defense and had an emerging HOF QB. Rodgers has actually played better since the SB win with only some minor slumps. To me, Aaron Rodgers is the best QB I've ever seen play but I can't truely judge any QB from before the 1980'ties. I want AR to win the 14th and even the 15th NFL championship for Green Bay. I just don't like the odds.
    Good post and I agree. You just need a QB who manages the game well and occasionally makes a terrific play.

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    Good post and I agree. You just need a QB who manages the game well and occasionally makes a terrific play.
    No one has won a Superbowl without a good QB the last ten years with possibly the only exception being Manning, who still had a good year.
    You don't have to be a HOF QB, but the way the game is evolving with rule changes, etc., you won't be sniffing a SB anytime soon without a great QB.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post

I don't know about all that. All I know is that a terrific Defense ALWAYS shows up on Sunday, whereas a terrific Offense sometimes doesn't. So if you are depending on a super Offense to carry your team, be prepared for occasional disappointments, especially in big games and especially in the playoffs.

In the old days Starr and company were terrific and won many games for the Pack, but that Offense occasionally was stymied. It was the Packers great defense of that era that kept them in games and won them championships.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    All I know is that a terrific Defense ALWAYS shows up on Sunday, whereas a terrific Offense sometimes doesn't.
    Wonder how the Ravens feel about this.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Wonder how the Ravens feel about this.
    Well you can't just have defense. lol
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I don't know about all that. All I know is that a terrific Defense ALWAYS shows up on Sunday, whereas a terrific Offense sometimes doesn't. So if you are depending on a super Offense to carry your team, be prepared for occasional disappointments, especially in big games and especially in the playoffs.

In the old days Starr and company were terrific and won many games for the Pack, but that Offense occasionally was stymied. It was the Packers great defense of that era that kept them in games and won them championships.
    I think we are in total agreement.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.