Thread: Official Packers vs. Falcons NFC Title Game Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Clutch Coaching Rankings:

McCarthy at #4. Of those left in playoffs.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-2016-playoffs

The kicker:

That is something I have failed to mention. If you run twice at the 35 and are OK with a 58 yard field goal, why throw on 3rd down?

I think being aggressive on all three downs is better (even if its, run-play action pass-run), but if you are going to be conservative, be conservative and burn that 3rd TO of the Cowboys.
    I thought that article was pretty garbage because it failed to take into account historic body of work and instead focused on second guessing play calls, the things you can only guess at regarding intent.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I thought that article was pretty garbage because it failed to take into account historic body of work and instead focused on second guessing play calls, the things you can only guess at regarding intent.
    Its one article and covers four coach's history, you aren't going to get details on all decisions. But they do explicitly cover what did work for McCarthy in Dallas as well as what failed in Seattle and Arizona.

However, I think that 3rd down throw is critical to understanding his thought process and goal. He wanted a first down, he wanted to burn clock and he did not want a 58 yard FG rather than a 50-55 yarder.

If that is the case, then run from run formation, run from heavy and 3rd and long pass is not ideal. He has done this before too, including this season. It telegraphs each play.

If you are willing to pass (and I think its a better idea NOT to), then run-run-pass telegraphed by formation is harmful to your chances.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.