Thread: 2024 Black Monday Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Try reading the sentence again.
    Its a joke Dan. Try saying "You should thank my father as well as his boss Donna Shalala for the Pat Richter hire."
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Its a joke Dan. Try saying "You should thank my father as well as his boss Donna Shalala for the Pat Richter hire."
    Actually not, that would mean my father was more important than Donna Shalala in the hiring process.

Notice that the phrase ‘ as well as’ is not equivalent to ‘ and’ because ‘ and’ connects two components of equal importance while as well as focuses more on one of the elements. A s well as may be termed as similar to the correlative ‘ not only…but also’, however, the emphasis is put on the component that comes before as well as.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Actually not, that would mean my father was more important than Donna Shalala in the hiring process.

Notice that the phrase ‘ as well as’ is not equivalent to ‘ and’ because ‘ and’ connects two components of equal importance while as well as focuses more on one of the elements. A s well as may be termed as similar to the correlative ‘ not only…but also’, however, the emphasis is put on the component that comes before as well as.
    Ok dan, you win. You take humor less well than Tex. Now try explaining how AND can't be interpreted the way I made the joke about.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Ok dan, you win. You take humor less well than Tex. Now try explaining how AND can't be interpreted the way I made the joke about.
    Sorry, my mother was an English teacher. Can't tell you how many times I was corrected as a kid.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Sorry, my mother was an English teacher. Can't tell you how many times I was corrected as a kid.
    Funny,.,,as was mine. Which is probably why I identify things like misplaced modifiers so well. I once got an "incorrect" on a question in finance 101 in college where the professor insisted that "as much as" meant the same amount. i.e. Investor A (who ended with $990) has as much as investor B (who ended with $910). I said True. He insisted it was false. So I asked him. So you are claiming that you are NOT as tall as me (he was 6'6"). He eventually gave me credit because I had done the math in the margins and knew exactly what each investor had, but never would agree that the term "as much as" would include someone who had more. i.e. Brad Pitt has as much hair as I do. (he does...and then some to spare).