Thread: Xavier McKinney

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That’s my feeling also. Rasul fanboys like Bretsky and Bobble just like the instant gratification of the TOs. Me too but not at the expense of constantly giving up big plays.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    That’s my feeling also. Rasul fanboys like Bretsky and Bobble just like the instant gratification of the TOs. Me too but not at the expense of constantly giving up big plays.
    I looked it up, and he has 9 career total - ranging anywhere from a couple of seasons where he had 0, to 5 in 2021 (including a pick six). The "5" tells me he has the ability, but the variance suggests that it may have to do with how he is being used. 6 of his 9 came in his first 2 seasons, when I do know he was being experimented with trying to find the best way to get maximum overall production. Their defensive coordinator those 2 seasons was Pat Graham, who was replaced by Wink Martindale in 2022 as part of a massive overhaul of the defensive staff.

That 2022 season was the first year McKinney had 0 picks, and their defense had a rocky year. But he came back last year with a respectable 3 picks, which again isn't a lot but enough to make most quarterbacks careful about what they throw at him.

So who knows what we'll get out of him. He's a young player, and it's hard to get a clear read on his longterm potential from just a few seasons with an overall uncertain defense. If he defends his man well, there may not be many balls thrown to his part of the field anyway.