Thread: New NFL Kickoff Rule Adopted

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    I’ve kinda studied it and believe I’ve got a grasp.
    Looking around the thing I can’t find is, on a declared onside kick, from where is the ball kicked?

Only other thing is the kicker will need to have a bit of free safety in him. If the returner breaks the initial scrum, the kicker is the last line of defense. Unless one of the forward players drops back??

This could actually be fun.
    The kicker as a tackler?

Hmm. That sounds dangerous. Kickers are not used to tackling. We'll have to add subsection 3-0012 to rule 442A, declaring that, in the event the returner breaks past the first line of defense post-thirty-five yard line, he can only advance the ball at a forty-five degree angle when the kicker approaches to make the tackle. Stiff-arming by the returner is illegal, and once the kicker touches, with both hands, simultaneously, the area between the returner's shoulders and knees, the returner is declared down and the play dead.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    The kicker as a tackler?

Hmm. That sounds dangerous. Kickers are not used to tackling. We'll have to add subsection 3-0012 to rule 442A, declaring that, in the event the returner breaks past the first line of defense post-thirty-five yard line, he can only advance the ball at a forty-five degree angle when the kicker approaches to make the tackle. Stiff-arming by the returner is illegal, and once the kicker touches, with both hands, simultaneously, the area between the returner's shoulders and knees, the returner is declared down and the play dead.
    Unnecessary protection. Kickers aren't people.