Thread: McGinn- Packers DL Failing to Step Up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    How can anyone tell how good or bad this defense is gonna be after the starters have played snippets in 2 preseason games? Capers in notorious for having his defenders play vanilla in the preseason too. I think we need to see more evidence before making any declaration here. The defense will be better if only because they couldn't have played much worse last year besides getting turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    How can anyone tell how good or bad this defense is gonna be after the starters have played snippets in 2 preseason games? Capers in notorious for having his defenders play vanilla in the preseason too. I think we need to see more evidence before making any declaration here. The defense will be better if only because they couldn't have played much worse last year besides getting turnovers.
    Capers is also notorious for his defenses dropping off in effectiveness after his first year as DC. In GB, that happened to be their best year, but it's a trend. I hope the D gets back to good though and stays there.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Capers is also notorious for his defenses dropping off in effectiveness after his first year as DC. In GB, that happened to be their best year, but it's a trend. I hope the D gets back to good though and stays there.
    They had their best year in his second year as DC with Green Bay. Which had been his worst year in other towns. A change in scheme is going to result in weird first year results as no one has film on that team playing that defense.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    They had their best year in his second year as DC with Green Bay. Which had been his worst year in other towns. A change in scheme is going to result in weird first year results as no one has film on that team playing that defense.
    So was year 3 DC's year 2 at other stops? Has he ever had a defense that's perpetually in the Top 10?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    So was year 3 DC's year 2 at other stops? Has he ever had a defense that's perpetually in the Top 10?
    Don't remember, but Dom has been in charge of some rebuilding projects so he was in Miami and Jacksonville when they blew up the structure and put up a new building. Tough to judge the long term success of a plan that changes after 2 years.

Harv did some yeoman's work on this theory either when he was hired or preseason of Year 2, but I don't see the thread.

I think his longest turn of success was Pitt followed by Carolina, but even Carolina got blown up due to the cap and FA.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Don't remember, but Dom has been in charge of some rebuilding projects so he was in Miami and Jacksonville when they blew up the structure and put up a new building. Tough to judge the long term success of a plan that changes after 2 years.

Harv did some yeoman's work on this theory either when he was hired or preseason of Year 2, but I don't see the thread.

I think his longest turn of success was Pitt followed by Carolina, but even Carolina got blown up due to the cap and FA.
    Okay. So hopefully the stability of talent from TT and the coaching of Trgo, Whitt, Perry, and Greene keep the defense good. My personal jury is still out on Moss.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    ...but it's still a lot of vanilla!
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.