Thread: Official 2023 Bury Joe Barry Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    They haven't given up a big lead, unless you count the ATL loss.
    Hey, the Dolphins were up 14 with 3 minutes to go and lost. Imagine if Barry's D did that.

Barry likes to play 2 DL nickel, he likes to play zone coverage, usually soft or off coverage. He needs players who can quickly rally and tackle, and nobody seems to practice tackling. (Also, what is considered a legal tackle might change again, based on Troy Vincent's recent comments. Make it flag football, already.) He has improved at adapting in-game, but I wouldn't say it's a strong suit. Mostly his game plans are ok-to-good but sometimes poorly executed. He's not innovative. He's pretty locked in to what he wants to run, often without any situational awareness.

I don't think he customizes his system to the players he has, which is a bad move IMO.

He has a poor track record, and is aided by MLF running a slow paced offense which limits possessions and thus scoring.

There are lots of things I don't like about Barry's performance, and the defensive performance overall. This year they've been reflective of what they are: a team with a record just below .500. I don't think that's necessarily grounds to keep a coach, especially when they are consistently bad at certain metrics (run defense). I don't think they can reach the SB much less win one with him at DC. It's nothing personal, I just think he's probably best as a position coach than as a DC.

Speaking of underperforming, how about Bisaccia? Whoo, his ST units haven't exactly taken a step forward in Year 2, have they?

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    They haven't given up a big lead, unless you count the ATL loss.
    Hey, the Dolphins were up 14 with 3 minutes to go and lost. Imagine if Barry's D did that.

Barry likes to play 2 DL nickel, he likes to play zone coverage, usually soft or off coverage. He needs players who can quickly rally and tackle, and nobody seems to practice tackling. (Also, what is considered a legal tackle might change again, based on Troy Vincent's recent comments. Make it flag football, already.) He has improved at adapting in-game, but I wouldn't say it's a strong suit. Mostly his game plans are ok-to-good but sometimes poorly executed. He's not innovative. He's pretty locked in to what he wants to run, often without any situational awareness.

I don't think he customizes his system to the players he has, which is a bad move IMO.

He has a poor track record, and is aided by MLF running a slow paced offense which limits possessions and thus scoring.

There are lots of things I don't like about Barry's performance, and the defensive performance overall. This year they've been reflective of what they are: a team with a record just below .500. I don't think that's necessarily grounds to keep a coach, especially when they are consistently bad at certain metrics (run defense). I don't think they can reach the SB much less win one with him at DC. It's nothing personal, I just think he's probably best as a position coach than as a DC.

Speaking of underperforming, how about Bisaccia? Whoo, his ST units haven't exactly taken a step forward in Year 2, have they?
    I was going to bold-face all the parts of your post with which I agreed, but there were so many there was no point. No, he hasn't given up a two-touchdown lead, but can his defenses be trusted not to do so?

If the NFL is supposed to be the pinnacle of football, then you'd think your coaches would be at the pinnacles of their profession. But as you say, Barry might be a victim/beneficiary of the Peter Principle.

His situational awareness seems . . . underdeveloped.

And no, he does not build a defense based upon players' strengths, I don't think. Exhibit A was not matching Alexander with the M inny WR (Jeffries?) in their first game last year, and the Packers getting toasted.

And yes, Bisaccia's special teams have been underwhelming. Disregard the new kicker and punter; the rest of them are not playing very well.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack