Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
So I went through the play calls in the 2nd half for the Packers. We ran 28 total plays. 3 were punts and field goals and the last 3 were kneel downs by ARod.

That leaves 22 "real" plays in the 2nd half. We ran 12 times and passed 10 if you count ARod's scrambles as pass plays. So we had 55/45 run/pass mix not as unbalanced as many here felt.
Not sure on anyone else, but I'm not really talking about the run/pass mix. I'm talking about the aggressiveness of the play calling. You can call 100% pass plays and still be a conservative offense. You can run the ball 75% of the time and still be an aggressive offense.

You don't want to become PREDICTABLE. Out of 10 first down plays in the 2nd half, we ran on 7 of them. 2 of the 3 passes were out of the shotgun formation. So, in general, the defense knew that if we weren't in shotgun, we were running it. That is too predictable for me in a game that had not yet been decided. McCarthy seemed to call the offense in the second half as if it were decided...something he has done before, occasionally to the detriment of the team.

I'm fine with 7 of 10 plays being run plays...if the pass plays look the same at the line of scrimmage and are keeping the defense honest. Run a couple play action plays and go for the dagger, if you will. But the Packer offense mostly went in to a shell, hoping to run off enough time to hold on for the win.