Thread: Randall & Rollins; or Rollins & Randall ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I trust my own eye as much as anyone else's in most instances - you have to remember, that for the guys making these calls, batting .500 is a pretty good average. A lot of these players will bust - and GM's and scouts will be fired. It's how the business works.
    This begs the question. Do you think your rate would be higher than .500?

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    This begs the question. Do you think your rate would be higher than .500?
    Probably about the same in terms of percentage - just like the armchair pickers that write the predraft magazines. Their mock drafts are taking from the same pool of guys that get drafted... so out of 256 or so guys, what number are going to be that much different than the actual players that get drafted?? 50-60?? And of those 50-60, the real draft may have some of those guys are signable FA's and vise versa. It's not as if there is an infinite number of players to choose from.

So that being the case, beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and especially in the case of the Packers, b/c they tend to draft finesse players... physicality and tackling are secondary concerns to other traits.
    wist

Wist, it sounds like you are not happy because you think the Packer's do not use tackling as a primary consideration for evaluating a CB. Do you think that tackling should be a primary consideration for a CB?

Regardless, you have not convinced me that Rollins is "terrible, terrible" at tackling, especially for a CB. I just don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Wist, it sounds like you are not happy because you think the Packer's do not use tackling as a primary consideration for evaluating a CB. Do you think that tackling should be a primary consideration for a CB?

Regardless, you have not convinced me that Rollins is "terrible, terrible" at tackling, especially for a CB. I just don't see it.
    Rollins isn't a terrible tackler - Randall is

As for CB traits - no, tackling is not #1 on my list, coverage ability is; but Randall played predominately at Safety, facing the LOS, and didn't have to demonstrate CB skills.

Coverage ability encompasses a few critical traits that a player either has to have, or he has to find a way to work around that shortcoming.

Backpedal, hips, speed, recovery speed, overall technique (pressing the sideline, etc), playing the ball, anticipation and instincts... I'd put all those traits above tackling - BUT...

I think Randall has a very average backpedal and average hips; he has decent speed, but he looks like a one-gear runner; he shows decent technique when he's in position downfield, but he got into that position from deep safety, not CB; when I did see him take a guy off the LOS, he was slow to react, slow to flip his hips, etc (look at that footage that someone posted of him covering Montgomery - which I can find, lol... )

Throw in those things with his poor tackling, and general lack of physicality - and I don't think he's a 1st rounder.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Rollins isn't a terrible tackler - Randall is

As for CB traits - no, tackling is not #1 on my list, coverage ability is; but Randall played predominately at Safety, facing the LOS, and didn't have to demonstrate CB skills.

Coverage ability encompasses a few critical traits that a player either has to have, or he has to find a way to work around that shortcoming.

Backpedal, hips, speed, recovery speed, overall technique (pressing the sideline, etc), playing the ball, anticipation and instincts... I'd put all those traits above tackling - BUT...

I think Randall has a very average backpedal and average hips; he has decent speed, but he looks like a one-gear runner; he shows decent technique when he's in position downfield, but he got into that position from deep safety, not CB; when I did see him take a guy off the LOS, he was slow to react, slow to flip his hips, etc (look at that footage that someone posted of him covering Montgomery - which I can find, lol... )

Throw in those things with his poor tackling, and general lack of physicality - and I don't think he's a 1st rounder.
    I just fell victim to the Patler confusion factor (TM) on their names! I think this is a much more reasonable analysis than where the conversation started. He hasn't played CB in awhile, but I bet the Packers dug up some video on him from the last time he did. The stuff I watched on him, he seemed good at making adjustments anytime the ball was thrown in his area. I think could make some plays, so long as his negatives aren't so bad they keep him off the field.