Thread: 2022 Second Round Pick, #34, Christian Watson Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Moss is one of the greatest players to ever play the game. I don’t even know if speed was his top trait. His top trait might have been how unstoppable he was at adjusting, getting position and then snagging the 50/50 ball. Watson will NEVER be even a poor man’s Randy Moss. That’s not who he is. It’s not.
    Moss was the fastest player in the league most years he played.

That said, Mike Evans is the best comp for Watson. Faster than Evans, but similar. I see a slew of 1k to 1200 yard seasons in his future, but never 90 catches.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post

That said, Mike Evans is the best comp for Watson. Faster than Evans, but similar. I see a slew of 1k to 1200 yard seasons in his future, but never 90 catches.
    I’m going to go hard against this comp. Evans is surprisingly effective at getting early separation for a big guy. And he snags tight contested throws at a very high rate.

I see a body type comp. I could see Watson being about 215, maybe even 220 in his prime. But that’s where that comp ends. Watson is horrible on contested balls. And average to below at getting early separation.

With Watsons weaknesses, I don’t see him going over 1,100 EVER. He looks like a #2, #3 sort of splash guy who disappoints a lot of the time.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    I’m going to go hard against this comp. Evans is surprisingly effective at getting early separation for a big guy. And he snags tight contested throws at a very high rate.

I see a body type comp. I could see Watson being about 215, maybe even 220 in his prime. But that’s where that comp ends. Watson is horrible on contested balls. And average to below at getting early separation.

With Watsons weaknesses, I don’t see him going over 1,100 EVER. He looks like a #2, #3 sort of splash guy who disappoints a lot of the time.
    I just can't get on board with your assessment unless injuries continue to derail him. He is CONSTANTLY behind the defense. As fast as Tyrique Hill. You can improve on contested catches (he already has), and Evans isn't as good at them as you seem to think. They are very similar players. Evans grinds out 1k seasons without getting 80 catches. He uses his height a little better in the corner endzone routes, but Watson may get better there. Watson has great separation on his routes quite often.

Here is the deal about comping guys. I don't care what the watch says on the 40, Watson is about the fastest player I can recall. He outruns angles in the NFL....no one does that. He is ALWAYS behind the D. Love needs to muscle up and throw it earlier as far as he fricking can.

The kind of speed Watson brings is unicorn speed. Its just goofy. He was green coming in being from a small school. He is improving. Love is getting to understand him more. When he learns to snap off a route he will be uncoverable. Maybe that never happens, but he has the potential to do it, and very few do.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post

This must be your acorn for the day hahahaha. Yes, I agree with the Mike Evans comparison - for now. Going forward, I'd say that's about the low end for Watson - not a bad low end. I guess Moss may have been the fastest in the league. How many faster than Watson are there now? Not many I suspect, and probably none of them 6'5" or so.

As I said, with all those other really good receivers, Watson may not need to catch 90 or more.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?