Thread: Everything you need to know about TT's Third Round Pick... OLB Kyler Fackrell.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I don't get the lack of athleticism argument against Fackrell. He looks athletic enough on tape (fluid and natural), and the measurables validate this. There are only three guys on my OLBs list who tested as appreciably better overall athletes than Fackrell. Leonard Floyd (who is even more thin than Fackrell), Jatavis Brown (the midget), and Travis Feeney (who is a bit light at 230 pounds). Mind you, Myles Jack and Jaylon Smith would have blown all of these guys out of the water. However, when you stack Fackrell against Lawson, Correa, Spence, Calhoun, Jenkins, Schobert, Nicolas, etc. the measurables overall are almost identical. Fackrell generally ranks slightly lower in 3 cone but slightly higher in broad jump. No doubt he will need to get stronger, and he's far from a perfect prospect, but I wouldn't nail him for a lack of athleticism.

Fackrell = 6'5" 245, 4.72 40, (4.31 shuttle), (7.24 3 cone), 34.5" vertical, 121" broad
    Lawson = 6'3" 269, 4.70 40, 4.21 shuttle, 7.16 3 cone, 33" vertical, 120" broad
    Correa = 6'3" 243, 4.69 40, (4.18 shuttle), (6.96 3 cone), 33" vertical, 108" broad
    Spence = 6'2" 251, 4.80 40, 4.35 shuttle, 7.21 3 cone, 35" vertical, 121" broad
    Calhoun = 6'4" 251, 4.82 40, 4.25 shuttle, 6.97 3 cone, 35" vertical, 115" broad
    Cravens = 6'1" 226, (4.71 40), 4.41 shuttle, 6.92 3 cone, 27" vertical, 114" broad
    Jenkins = 6'3" 259, 4.80 40, (4.32 shuttle), (7.41 3 cone), 36.5" vertical, 123" broad
    Ngakoue = 6'2" 252, 4.75 40, 4.50 shuttle, 7.35 3 cone, 34.5" vertical, 118" broad
    Schobert = 6'1" 244, 4.76 40, 4.30 shuttle, 7.11 3 cone, 33.5" vertical, 111" broad

Of the four OLBs that I had ranked just ahead and the five OLBs ranked just behind him, he's tested as slightly above average overall as an athlete. He's in the top half amongst these 10 in four of the five athletic measurables (3 cone being the outlier)
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I don't get the lack of athleticism argument against Fackrell. He looks athletic enough on tape (fluid and natural), and the measurables validate this. There are only three guys on my OLBs list who tested as appreciably better overall athletes than Fackrell. Leonard Floyd (who is even more thin than Fackrell), Jatavis Brown (the midget), and Travis Feeney (who is a bit light at 230 pounds). Mind you, Myles Jack and Jaylon Smith would have blown all of these guys out of the water. However, when you stack Fackrell against Lawson, Correa, Spence, Calhoun, Jenkins, Schobert, Nicolas, etc. the measurables overall are almost identical. Fackrell generally ranks slightly lower in 3 cone but slightly higher in broad jump. No doubt he will need to get stronger, and he's far from a perfect prospect, but I wouldn't nail him for a lack of athleticism.
    McGinn mentioned that some scouts felt Fackrell hasn't been as athletic since his knee injury. TT didn't see a discernible difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    McGinn mentioned that some scouts felt Fackrell hasn't been as athletic since his knee injury. TT didn't see a discernible difference.
    He did say that, but listening to it, I felt like he was more question dodging than he was being forthright. He also said that the normal trajectory for a 25 year old coming off of that type of knee surgery was to be stronger in year 2 than in year 1, so it sounded to me like they were expecting some improvement.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    He did say that, but listening to it, I felt like he was more question dodging than he was being forthright. He also said that the normal trajectory for a 25 year old coming off of that type of knee surgery was to be stronger in year 2 than in year 1, so it sounded to me like they were expecting some improvement.

Reading the JSO this morning, the writer was VERY "meh" about this guy. Described him like he's the classic "just a guy." Didn't get me very excited.

Maybe they'll move him inside and try to develop him there? Sounds like he can cover a little bit.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Reading the JSO this morning, the writer was VERY "meh" about this guy. Described him like he's the classic "just a guy." Didn't get me very excited.

Maybe they'll move him inside and try to develop him there? Sounds like he can cover a little bit.
    He was #5 on McGinn's list of outside linebackers. By the time you get around to late 3rd round picks, there will be seemingly strong negatives or at least a lack of superlatives for every player. If there weren't, they would be first or high second round picks. You just hope that added maturity, coaching and development wins out.

GB needs more depth at LB, both inside and outside. This guy seems to be one of the better prospects at those positions in this draft. TT can pick only from the players available. For those reasons, I don't mind the pick. He might be another Abdul Hodge, Aaron Rouse or Alex Green. On the other hand, he could turn out to be a James Jones, Jermichael Finley or Morgan Burnette. He's a third round pick. He might be a contributor, or he might not.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    He was #5 on McGinn's list of outside linebackers. By the time you get around to late 3rd round picks, there will be seemingly strong negatives or at least a lack of superlatives for every player. If there weren't, they would be first or high second round picks. You just hope that added maturity, coaching and development wins out.

GB needs more depth at LB, both inside and outside. This guy seems to be one of the better prospects at those positions in this draft. TT can pick only from the players available. For those reasons, I don't mind the pick. He might be another Abdul Hodge, Aaron Rouse or Alex Green. On the other hand, he could turn out to be a James Jones, Jermichael Finley or Morgan Burnette. He's a third round pick. He might be a contributor, or he might not.
    +1

Fackrell was not a first tier edge rusher, but they were all gone. He was the last of the 2nd tier.

TT could have selected a better edge rusher like Noah Spence or Kamalei Correa with his first pick and then "settled" for Javon Hargrave, Hassan Ridgeway, Willie Henry, Matt Ioannidis or even Billings in the 3rd.

It's pure judgement based on his internal scouting. I think the trade up to get Spriggs was brilliant, so IMO Ted's doing just fine.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

True, but at the time the consensus was that Finley had great upside. This guy is more like Richard Rodgers. He'll play but he's not a big consistent playmaker.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    True, but at the time the consensus was that Finley had great upside. This guy is more like Richard Rodgers. He'll play but he's not a big consistent playmaker.
    That seems to be the standard for this draft - good, try-hard football players, fundamentally sound, just never going to set the world on fire.

It seems like the only one that has the potential to exceed average is Spriggs.
    wist

Some scouts, as well as some people here, felt he was just as white, or maybe even a little whiter since his knee injury. Because they're racists.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

That smacks of the kind of criticism you can never be marked down for. Because if he later demonstrates you as wrong, you can say it took X months to recover.

After thinking about this pick last night (I really need a new hobby) I kinda doubt that speed in the 4.62-4.72 range is going to make in it man coverage. Maybe all but the most TEs over the middle. He's tall enough to negate one aspect of their advantage.

What is the normal speed range you want for an ILB in coverage? Probably more like 4.5-4.6, right?

If he has played safety, maybe his anticipation is better than most. But knowing just the basics (and not having watched the tape), I kinda get a SAM backer feeling about his measurables, like Poppinga. Similar underwear or not.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    That smacks of the kind of criticism you can never be marked down for. Because if he later demonstrates you as wrong, you can say it took X months to recover.

After thinking about this pick last night (I really need a new hobby) I kinda doubt that speed in the 4.62-4.72 range is going to make in it man coverage. Maybe all but the most TEs over the middle. He's tall enough to negate one aspect of their advantage.

What is the normal speed range you want for an ILB in coverage? Probably more like 4.5-4.6, right?

If he has played safety, maybe his anticipation is better than most. But knowing just the basics, I kinda get a SAM backer feeling about him, like Poppinga. Similar underwear or not.
    I'd take a 3-cone under 7 over a 4.5 40 from a coverage ILB all day long. Fackrell has neither in shorts but if he's one of those mythical 'football steps' guys whose speed translates well to the field he's plenty fast. His length can hide some sins too; he looks and moves like a giant long safety. Poppinga was much thicker and physical and for all his coverage faults he could really excel playing a gap. Fackrell doesn't look like he'd last long trying to be Poppinga.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

If he has played safety, maybe his anticipation is better than most. But knowing just the basics (and not having watched the tape), I kinda get a SAM backer feeling about his measurables, like Poppinga. Similar underwear or not.
    4.5-4.6 at ILB? Outside of Darron Jones (who is an athletic freak like a Ryan Shazier) and Deion Jones at 222 pounds, there were none of those guys in this draft. Joshua Perry actually had the best 40 time outside of those two, and he ran 4.68. Then, you have B.J. Goodson at 4.69 and Blake Martinez at 4.71. Fackrell, Nick Vigil, and Reggie Ragland would be next at 4.72. The other 18 ILBs that I evaluated ran worse. Fackrell is a better overall athlete than Ragland. Much better in the 3 cone, vertical, and broad jump. Plus, he's 4 inches taller.

I'm not totally enamored with the pick because I did have some other guys ranked higher (although I had Fackrell on my short list). Fackrell is old for a rookie and he needs to get stronger, so there are concerns, but I don't think athleticism is one of the concerns. He's a solid athlete for both an OLB and ILB. Not sure he can play ILB though because of the lack of strength. My reports say he's better than you'd think (not great, but not bad) taking on blocks and tackling, despite the lack of strength.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson