Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2017 NFL draft thread

The pick will be an edge rusher. TT favors pass rush, and he just spent 2 high picks on CB. He is going to give randall and rollins every chance to improve before he spends a 1 on another CB. I'm not saying its right or wrong, just what it is. Honestly I think what we need is ONE bonafide shutdown corner, and we aint' drafting that at 29 or whatever.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Relax Red. There's probably only 1 TE going in 1st round, and he'll be long gone.

If Sidney Jones' injury is serious though, that does reduce the pool of 1st CB's by 1. Still think the pick will be CB or OLB.
    If it is the ACL how long does he wait to get drafted? Late 2nd? Late 3rd? I'd take him in the 3rd and stash him away.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Jones tore his Achilles and it sounds as though the injury is pretty significant.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Well that fucking sucks for him. Didn't he do the full gamut at the combine? Why bother with a pro day?

Especially because he has a good Combine. He didn't really have anything to gain.

Hmmm. TT doesn't typically take medical risks if they're obvious ones. I doubt he'd bite. But I wonder what the overall history of players coming back at a young age from an achilles problem looks like.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    If it is the ACL how long does he wait to get drafted? Late 2nd? Late 3rd? I'd take him in the 3rd and stash him away.
    No way we should waste a 3rd round pick (maybe a 6 or a 7) on a serious injury. We have way too many needs to waste a high round draft pick.

A team like Cleveland that has picks to burn should consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Hmmm. TT doesn't typically take medical risks if they're obvious ones. I doubt he'd bite. But I wonder what the overall history of players coming back at a young age from an achilles problem looks like.
    We need help at CB now and this poor kid will be out for a year so I doubt Ted will take him. TT passed on Jaylon Smith last year who if healthy would have been at least a top 5 pick.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    No way we should waste a 3rd round pick (maybe a 6 or a 7) on a serious injury. We have way too many needs to waste a high round draft pick.

A team like Cleveland that has picks to burn should consider it.
    Yeah, achilles is different than the ACL. I was wrong about that. Not sure I agree 100% about it wasting a pick though. I'm not saying throw away a 1st or 2nd on him like Dallas did with Jaylon last year. Who looks like he will have to play with a brace and drop foot for the rest of his career, if i'm remembering reports correctly. But GB is certainly the type of team that could get away with using a 3rd on a player to stash away if they were going to be out a year. Idk about an achilles however, so i'm not advocating that in this situation anymore. But a solid signing or two and a good 1,2, 4-7 draft and this team can contend for a Super Bowl this year while allowing said draft pick to get healthy and hopefully regain his first round form. And a player with the talent of a Sidney Jones, I think would be worth the gamble. Again, if it was the acl or something players come back all the time from. I'm not as familiar with the achilles so thats different. If he'd even be available when we draft in the 3rd. Teams like you suggest the Browns could take him well before. Or even the Cowboys in the 2nd, they like risky 2nd rounders. Haha
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    We need help at CB now and this poor kid will be out for a year so I doubt Ted will take him. TT passed on Jaylon Smith last year who if healthy would have been at least a top 5 pick.
    he'll lose speed and ups from this injury. skinny kid. he might be too skinny to bulk up and try safety.

if jabrill peppers fell to us would tt take him?

I think we would at least consider Peppers. Jones, with an Achilles injury? Depends on the severity of it, but that's almost a death knell for a corner. Remember Bryant Westbrook? Never the same after his Achilles injury. A simple ACL would have been preferable, gotta say. Would probably be drafted in the 3rd or 4th with a knee injury.

plus we need a cb for NEXT SEASON

a guy with a shot achilies is not that guy

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    if jabrill peppers fell to us would tt take him?
    If he fell to us he might be the BPA on Ted's board so he just might. The question is will Peppers fall that far?

I think he will go in the 20-25 range.

29: R1P29
    EDGE DEREK BARNETT
    TENNESSEE
    61: R2P29
    CB KEVIN KING
    WASHINGTON
    93: R3P29
    WR COOPER KUPP
    EASTERN WASHINGTON
    134: R4P27
    TE JAKE BUTT
    MICHIGAN
    172: R5P28
    RB JOE MIXON
    OKLAHOMA
    182: R5P38
    CB BRENDAN LANGLEY
    LAMAR
    212: R6P28
    LB BEN GEDEON
    MICHIGAN
    247: R7P29
    CB EZRA ROBINSON
    TENNESSEE STATE

Quick mock before bed. I doubt Barnett will be there in the real world, but this draft touches on all of our weaknesses, except the hole left by Lang.
    Last edited by smuggler; 03-13-2017 at 12:08 AM.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I reposted some of this from the Combine thread and decided to add to it and move it over to the Draft Thread

Holy Balls! Looking at the combine numbers on some of these cornerbacks and they are very intriguing to say the least. There is speed and size throughout this draft class. The Packers or any other team that is in need of a outside coverage should have some spittle at the edge of their mouths, you Ted already does.

Guys that stand out per their numbers at the combine

Jaylen Myrick minnesota
    5'10" 200lbs
    4.28 40
    37.5 vert
    If the Packers don't want to spend a first round pick on a corner he might be available late in the second round but he probably isn't going to last to the end of the third round. He excels in man coverage and his knock is his lack of height. He might fit well as a inside cover guy. his 3 cone was a bit average just over 7 seconds. He is also a return guy. Not a big impact in the run game, sort of got man handled by bigger receivers but he plays alot of man coverage

Fabian Moreau UCLA
    6'0" 206lbs
    4.35 40
    38" vert
    He is a man on man defender, he looks good covering the outside receiver. Not much in terms of run support. I think he is a better football player than Myrick. Reads routes really well, good instincts. Packers would probably have to take him in the first round

Kevin King Washington
    6-3 200
    4.43 40
    39.5 vert
    Great speed and jump, under 4 seconds on his shuttle. His numbers and height are the first thing you notice and you really want to like him. He doesn't have the greatest instincts, and he is pretty grabby with his hands. he seems unsure of himself when in zone, and his instincts hinder him at times when he is man coverage.

Ahkello Witherspoon Colorado
    6-3 198
    4.45 40
    40.5" vert
    This guy on film can run with John Ross. He is a crap tackler and doesn't want to partake in the run game, but he has the height, speed, and jumping ability to play the outside and match up against bigger wide receiver in the NFL. Witherspoon could fit nicely in Green Bay but the Packers would have to use a 1st round pick to solidify him coming to Green Bay. Some team could scoop him up in the second round because of his size and jumping ability. That type of combination doesn't last long in drafts, teams are willing to take a risk to protect against the jump ball down field.

Brian Allen Utah
    6-3 215
    4.48 40
    34.5" vert
    Can't find a highlight or game film on him on youtube, but I am intrigued with his size and speed. His vertical jump is about average or below but the height helps out

Gareon Conley Ohio St.
    6'0" 195
    4.44 40
    37" vert
    On film he does a nice job anticipating routes. Has a smart feel to him on the field. If he gets taken on one play he has a good memory and won't get fooled again. He is a smooth player, but he looks skinny on film. Well coached and he would be worth a 2nd round pick. Packers might not even have a chance on him in the second so if they fell in love with him they would have to take him in the first or god forbid move up in the second round to grab him. CBS has him ranked as the 9th best corner

Adoree Jackson USC
    5'10" 185
    4.42 40
    36 vert
    He probably is a better prospect as a returner than a true lock down corner due to his lack of size but he is one of the better athletes in this crop of corners. He is a risk taker and allows for his athleticism to correct mistakes at the college level. Dual threat player for the Trojans, very quick and very aggressive player. With NFL caliber coaching he could be molded into a man coverage cyborg!
    He won the Thorpe trophy for the nations best defensive. He is a quality player that could be taken with a 2nd round pick. Size is the biggest question mark for Jackson in a draft full of tall corners.

Chidobe Awuzie Colorado
    6'0" 202
    4.43 40
    34.5" vert
    Awuzie has a very solid build and is all of the 202 pounds. Off the top of my head when I watch him on film I see Mike McKenzie the former cornerback in Green Bay. Nothing pops off the film but in a good way. he is smart capable football player that will be used on the outside, slot, and as a rusher off the edge. He is a willing tackler, but not a dynamic tackler. He is where he needs to be on the field. He is also a gunner on the punt team. He is projected as a late first rounder, early 2nd rounder, with so many corners in this draft The Packer could possibly land this guy in the second round based on the direction that other teams go.

Tre'Davis White LSU
    5'11" 195
    4.47 40
    32 vert
    White doesn't have any numbers that will blow you away but you know he has played against great talent in the SEC and the film demonstrates his ability as a football player. Some teams will let him drop in favor of taller, faster, and better jumpers but film wise he plays the game as well as any other corner in this draft. He was also the Tigers punt returner, White has the understanding of coverage whether it is zone, or man and you can tell by the way he plays he watches film. He would definitely be worth a first round selection. The negatives is that the college game allows defensive backs to use their hands and he takes full advantage and it will be something that if he continues in the pros he will be called for holding, also he is not a willing tackler.

Leo Musso baby ...

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

He's the Jeff Janis of defensive backs. Except slow. And short.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    He's the Jeff Janis of defensive backs. Except slow. And short.
    His grit and broad jump will get him there in time.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

With the signing of Lacy the Packers have no depth behind Montgomery who is apparently staying with the #88. I don't know if that means he will be splitting time at receiver and running back or he just thinks it is cool roaming the backfield with #88. The Packers could kick the tires on some veterans in free agency but I can't see Ted signing Adrian Peterson, or Jamal Charles. I simply don't trust the injury history of Charles and Peterson is also coming off a significant knee injury and he is going to cost some team more cash than he is probably worth at this point in his career.

So to the draft we go and lets break down some scenarios. Dallas taking Elliot high in the 2016 draft paid off and it went against the norm of teams waiting on running backs. Teams might not wait on Fournette, Cook, or McCaffrey this year they could be gone before the 30th selection. Which might not be the worst scenario considering the needs the Packers have on defense, but it would be hard to pass on either of those three with the thirtieth pick in the draft. Out of the three top guys I would prefer Cook, then Fournette, and finally McCaffrey. Cook is the most complete back, while Fournette is probably the best pure running back since Adrian Peterson. McCaffrey reminds me of a more well rounded Reggie Bush, but he isn't going to run the ball 300 times a season. Most likely situation is that Thompson will sign one or two 3rd tier free agents and also take a running back in the middle to late rounds of the draft.

What type of back would the Packers be looking at? Another big boned bruiser like they had in Lacy, or a smaller quicker back that could be effective catching balls out of the backfield? My guess is that the Packers would be looking at a bigger back that can go between the tackles and have Montgomery has the quicker change of pass back that would be relied on to catch the ball out of the backfield.

Alvin Kamara Tenn
    5'10" 215
    4.56 40
    39.5 vert
    This kid is fun to watch on film. He is very explosive and quick twitch. He plays faster than his forty time and he gets to top gear right away. There is no hesitation with him and he does a very good job catching the football. Fantastic in open space and can get the edge in the college game. The biggest issue with him is that he doesn't run behind his shoulder pads. He is more slippery than a tackle breaker. He runs tall at times. He looks skinny on film and could stand to gain 10 pounds in the NFL. Packers could see him in the second round.

Joe Williams Utah
    5'11" 210
    4.41 forty
    35" vert
    This kid has a smooth feel to him when he is on the field. Good vision and seems to glide through the holes and before you know it he has gained 8 yards. He does a nice job delivering a blow versus taking one. He is a willing blocker and does a nice job catching the ball out of the backfield. His measurables are there and his product on the field is worth the watch. He runs a lot bigger than he is. There is not a whole lot that I saw that I didn't like about him. He is rated a 7th round pick, I don't get it.

Brian Hill Wyoming
    6'1" 219
    4.51 40
    35" vert
    Nothing flashing about Brian Hill, but he does a nice job showing patients and gains yards. He isn't a game breaker and he seems to find his biggest runs out of the I formation but will run out of the shotgun. He is a willing blocker and plays hard nose football. His times and measurables are good enough to be a mid round pick.

Biegel had a nice twenty yard shuttle. I wouldn't sleep on Biegel

Clement shaved off a 10th or so on his forty, makes him a legit mid round selection. You can't have a 4.68 and expect to be draft before the 6th round