Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: So... Aaron Hernandez

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    He might. Somehow I doubt it though. I have a brother who's a psychopath. There's a difference between people who do bad things and people who have no soul who also do bad things. Psychopath's are rare. I don't know the number, but maybe half of murderers are psychopaths. There are plenty of really sick people who commit murder yet aren't psychopaths.

And this is all a hunch, but I have a psychopathic brother, a year and a half younger than me, and they are expressionless babies who don't want to be touched, held, soothed, smiled at, played with or anything. They grow up into expressionless children who don't want to be touched (and also exhibit extreme cruelty to other people and life in general) then they learn how to pretend to fit in (something they have become actors to accomplish, but not even good actors as people naturally assume the best. Psychopaths find this to be too easy, and almost funny that people assume good in others) then they commit horrible wrongs to society in one form or another, then they die, thank god. I look at pictures of Hernandez, and to be honest, this is just a gut instinct from someone who's looked into empty, soulless eyes, but he seems to be a person to me. A scared, back against the wall person more comparable to a wild animal trapped in a corner than a regular person, but a person none-the-less. I know what empty eyes look like. I know what a voice, completely void of soul sounds like. I don't get any of that impression from Hernandez. He comes off as a really sick person to me, and a person I wouldn't want to suffer, yet would want taken completely away from society. If he's going to die, I think he deserves a quick death, similar to a wild animal that needs to be taken out for protections sake. If he's going to prison, I think he deserves a chance to live there and grow as a person. What price can he pay that will brink anything back? There is no price. But maybe he can learn from his mistakes and be a positive influence on some other people who go to prison, but will get out some day. You never know. Everything is going to be taken from him. All he can do now is help the world, not hurt it.
    Just a guess on my part, too, but I read (or heard, can't remember which) a reporters comments that even the cops and court room personnel were surprised at his total lack of emotion. One described him as seemingly detached from what was going on.

We might just be scratching the surface on his inner workings.

Comments like this give me the impression that he is cold and detached:

...stood with his hands cuffed in front of him, wearing a white, V-neck T-shirt and a look mostly devoid of emotion. This was inside Attleboro District Court in Massachusetts on Wednesday afternoon, just feet away as a prosecutor read off a web of evidence that put him at the scene of Odin Lloyd's death 10 days ago and led to this most serious of charges:

Murder for the former New England Patriots tight end.

If Hernandez felt any fear over charges that could take him from the glory of the NFL to a life sentence, he didn't show it. If he felt any emotion over the death of his one-time friend, even as Lloyd's mother had to leave the courtroom, he didn't show it. If he was moved to anger about the judge denying him bail as he awaits trial, he didn't show it.

He was mostly calm and unmoved, eyes wide open ...(as)...prosecutor William McCauley went on and on for more than 20 minutes laying out a case where via text messages, cell phone tower contact and surveillance video showed Hernandez and Lloyd traveling together to North Attleboro, a bedroom community south of Boston where Hernandez lived on the day Lloyd was found dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Just a guess on my part, too, but I read (or heard, can't remember which) a reporters comments that even the cops and court room personnel were surprised at his total lack of emotion. One described him as seemingly detached from what was going on.

We might just be scratching the surface on his inner workings.
    Yeah, everyone knows what a sociopath is, at least people all people who cover court proceedings. I've seen that too. How would you be if your whole life was up in the air like that, let alone if you were a person with incredibly immature coping and life-management skills. He probably is detached. He could be a sociopath. I don't know for sure. I tend to think a sociopath would look at this more as a game and be intrigued by it, but that's just my impression. He'd probably be trying to show emotion, because he knows what he is and what he should appear like to make his situation better. I think my brother would find this interesting and fun. He wouldn't have committed such a careless murder either. It would have been far calmer and better planned. He'd call someone an idiot for committing murder this way. Just stupid, really. And emotion, after all, defies logic and can be very stupid. The murder just seems like a guy who's afraid to be caught, who's in a hurry. That's very non psychopathic in my experience. Murder would be much better planned, like getting ready for work or something like that.

Now, the person who did the boston marathon bombing. . . . Now that guy appears to be a sociopath. The randomness of it, literally not caring at all if innocent people died. . . . I can almost picture a person getting defensive enough, angry enough to kill someone else. I can't picture randomly bombing mothers, fathers and potentially children for no reason. That seems unhuman to me. Hernandez played a dangerous game, he played for keeps, and now he's lost everything. While it seems to make no sense at all, we haven't lived in his shoes. Maybe he has extreme trust and intimacy issues and he lives life carelessly and recklessly to avoid having to feel hurt, alone, lost, incapable and/or sad. Who knows, but his murder seemed to have a little more self-preservation aspect to it, something I think can happen to people if they're in a bad enough emotional/mental state. When someone lives life in that type of culture, with those types of attitudes, I tend to doubt psychopathy or sociopathy. It's more of a dog-eat-dog world. He could have gotten out of it, but maybe it's all he knew. Maybe he didn't know how to live differently. If I thought someone was going to kill me or end my life as I knew it and the rules of the game were death to the loser, I might be more willing to kill someone, ya know, same as soldiers or anyone else in a (him or me) environment. I might even kill the person before they had a chance if I felt threatened enough. Of course, I don't play life by those rules, so I'll never know how I'd act in that type of situation.
    Last edited by RashanGary; 06-28-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

What does a sniper think when he's shooting a 17 year old Iraqi boy in the face? Does he think about that 17 year old boy getting up feeding his little brother and baby sister before he went out to do what he had to do for the day, or is he trained not to think about those types of things, not to let them cross his mind. The military can condition normal people into cold-blooded killers. Why can't certain cultures and upbringings do the same?
    Last edited by RashanGary; 06-28-2013 at 01:06 PM.

I wouldn't try to read too much into second hand descriptions of how the guy looks during his hearing. If he is a sentient being with a soul, he (or it) is probably in shock right now.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I wouldn't try to read too much into second hand descriptions of how the guy looks during his hearing. If he is a sentient being with a soul, he (or it) is probably in shock right now.
    Probably detaching from the situation too. I know a guy who's baby daughter died in a horrible accident. He looked as empty and expressionless as a person can possibly look. Then he started badly abusing drugs and acting pretty much like a person who didn't care about anything, as he didn't. He left his family, moved a dozen states away and didn't talk to anyone for three years. He was shut off. People can shut off. If you're shut off long enough, people think that's who you are. It's sort of the way things work. But the reality, I don't think very many people are soulless sociopaths. More than likely, they're very detached from who they really are and living a horrible life. The shame he's going to live with might be more unbearable than the prison sentence. Even if he can shut off from it now, he won't be able to shut off from it forever. It's sad, to me, but also, these guys need to be taken out of society. You can't risk innocent people to help those who are running around hurting others.

There are people who grow up, their dad beats the shit out of their mom, introduces them to danger and violence at an early age, then just leaves the family. That's similar trauma to someone having their baby daughter die, and this is a little kid. Now this kid grows up scared, angry, empty and ashamed. Who knows what a person is capable of doing when they're in that state. Just look at the perfectly normal person who had a whole life to grow and learn to be a person when his daughter died. Hernandez might not have had a full life to grow and learn. His trauma may have happened before he was old enough to cope.

I give zero excuses for the guy. He deserves whatever he gets. I have a hard time not seeing the human being inside him though. For some reason, I don't hate the guy, and don't wish the worst on him. I can't figure out exactly why, but I don't.

There are people who grow up, their dad beats the shit out of their mom, introduces them to danger and violence at an early age, then just leaves the family. That's similar trauma to someone having their baby daughter die, and this is a little kid. Now this kid grows up scared, angry, empty and ashamed. Who knows what a person is capable of doing when they're in that state. Just look at the perfectly normal person who had a whole life to grow and learn to be a person when his daughter died. Hernandez might not have had a full life to grow and learn. His trauma may have happened before he was old enough to cope.

I give zero excuses for the guy. He deserves whatever he gets. I have a hard time not seeing the human being inside him though. For some reason, I don't hate the guy, and don't wish the worst on him. I can't figure out exactly why, but I don't.
    Because you are detached from this situation. If he wasn't an NFL player, none of us would even know his name or that he killed a person. We love a spectacle and we love to see the mighty fall. It's entertainment to us. If you were Lloyd's family member or friend, you'd probably feel different.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Because you are detached from this situation. If he wasn't an NFL player, none of us would even know his name or that he killed a person. We love a spectacle and we love to see the mighty fall. It's entertainment to us. If you were Lloyd's family member or friend, you'd probably feel different.
    If I was Lloyd's family member, I might be angry at him for being involved with people who tote death machines as a way to intimidate and threaten. I'd probably be angry at him for putting himself there, honestly. I probably would have tried to tell him several times to get out.

Judging by Lloyd's text, he knew he was in danger. Judging by his teammates comments, they knew Hernandez was a dangerous guy, a guy they wanted to stay away from.

I was detached from the Boston Marathon bombing too, and my first reaction was wanting to see that guy put to death. It's really hard for me to get in the mind of someone who does what that guy did. Maybe I'm fucked up, but it's not so hard for me to picture what Hernandez was trying to do. He seemed like a guy who was fulfilling a promise. He promised to live a certain way and he followed through. Most people were smart enough to stay away from him.

I don't blame Lloyd for getting shot, but I do blame him for not following his gut instincts and keeping himself safe. We all need to learn to follow our gut more. Facts this, rational that, but sometimes we just have to trust our instincts with people and Lloyd didn't do that. The people in the Boston Marathon bombing didn't even have the choice to stay away from that guy. It was so random, so unexpected. That, to me, is horrible. If I'm Lloyd, the last thing I'm thinking about when I die is how I should have never been there.

Low Profile Rat Starter
    What does a sniper think when he's shooting a 17 year old Iraqi boy in the face? Does he think about that 17 year old boy getting up feeding his little brother and baby sister before he went out to do what he had to do for the day, or is he trained not to think about those types of things, not to let them cross his mind. The military can condition normal people into cold-blooded killers. Why can't certain cultures and upbringings do the same?
    If you really believe all this, then you really are a clueless tool.

People who regularly cover the criminal courts get a lot of exposure to people in the same exact situation. To at least some of them, Hernandez apparently seemed to react differently than what they have come to expect. That was all I wanted to bring up.

I have no clue what kind of person he is, but if he killed Lloyd in the manner and for the reasons speculated, and/or if he killed the two others in 2012 that he is being investigated for, I doubt that I will lose much sleep worrying about how miserable his life will be in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    People who regularly cover the criminal courts get a lot of exposure to people in the same exact situation. To at least some of them, Hernandez apparently seemed to react differently than what they have come to expect. That was all I wanted to bring up.

I have no clue what kind of person he is, but if he killed Lloyd in the manner and for the reasons speculated, and/or if he killed the two others in 2012 that he is being investigated for, I doubt that I will lose much sleep worrying about how miserable his life will be in prison.
    Or maybe they're sensationalizing the trial, making Hernandez appear to be void of all human emotion.

I shared my hunch that he's not a sociopath and my opinion that it's sad to see people ruin their lives and other people's lives. I'll lose about the same amount of sleep worrying about whether you're on the same page as me as you lose worrying about the well being of Aaron Hernandez' soul.

Quote Originally Posted by LP View Post
    If you really believe all this, then you really are a clueless tool.
    Yeah, our military people are the good guys. The guys we kill are bad. Keep on believing that, idiot.

It's the realities of war, same as killing in certain parts of our country is realities of life. People do what they have to do and sometimes they do more than what they have to do when they feel pressured, desperate or maybe they just want to shock and awe somebody, you know, make a point to get out of the way, right. Intimidation is a power tool. It gets a point across. Death is the ultimate threat. It usually gets the point across. Not always, but usually.

On August 6, 1945, during World War II (1939-45), an American B-29 bomber dropped the world’s first deployed atomic bomb over the Japanese city of Hiroshima. The explosion wiped out 90 percent of the city and immediately killed 80,000 people; tens of thousands more would later die of radiation exposure. Three days later, a second B-29 dropped another A-bomb on Nagasaki, killing an estimated 40,000 people. Japan's Emperor Hirohito announced his country's unconditional surrender in World War II in a radio address on August 15, citing the devastating power of "a new and most cruel bomb."

I'm sure there were no babies, moms, dads, big brothers, little sisters, friends, family, grandparents in that 80,000 dead. Anyone who thinks the United States doesn't kill innocent lives to get their point across is diluted. We could have just as easily talked to Japan and given them whatever they wanted from us. That's not what happened. Innocent people died in retaliation. There are plenty of countries that stay completely out of war, stay neutral. We're not one of them. We're one of the extreme superpowers that fights to the death for what we have.

Maybe you can lose some sleep for the dead babies of Heroshema and Nagasaki, Patler? Probably not. They deserved it for crossing us. But I'll bet you celebrate every military holiday where the poor soldiers died for your cause. For fucks sake, get some perspective, people.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have to agree with JH, cuz it takes one to know one.

But I think JH is trying to say that hernandez isn't a stone cold killer. He is just a dumb, lost, little boy pretending to be a hardcore gangsta.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    JH - You're getting a bit riled up here. Perhaps just take a few hours away from the computer.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Fans who bought an Aaron Hernandez jersey at the Patriots Pro Shop will be allowed to exchange it for a jersey of comparable value free of charge.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ersey-exchange
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Fans who bought an Aaron Hernandez jersey at the Patriots Pro Shop will be allowed to exchange it for a jersey of comparable value free of charge.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ersey-exchange
    Comparable value then or now?

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I'm inclined to agree with JH here in terms of world perspective but I don't feel comfortable making a character judgement on Hernandez or what he deserves other than to lose his freedom if he's in fact guilty. This isn't a ghetto kid from the wire, he's had a network of coaches and teammates as a support group for years. He's had college and opportunity. He's had focus, meaning, things to look forward to, and professional success. Maybe he's got no social conscience, maybe he's just unfathomably stupid. I'm not even sure which is worse. Go directly to jail, do not collect $200.

Again though I suspect roid rage. I'm of the sort that believes or wants to believe that it takes a chemical imbalance to do this kind of thing. The kind of chemical imbalance that comes from a professional sport where in all reality PED's are probably near mandatory to play the game. I hope Goodell gets stuck holding this shit bomb.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.