Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: MVP debate: Who's most deserving? A.Rodgers - JJ Watt - T.Brady - P.Manning - D.Murray?

Blog Entries
    Here's a long but good read on your 2014 MVP.

The Toast of Titletown

A bunch of telling quotes in the article but I always like to hear Sitton's perspective on stuff for some reason.
    "You wanna know how competitive he is?" Sitton asked. "One day early this season, we have this play (in practice) where he basically has to launch the ball as far as he can out of bounds ... running time off the clock when there are six or seven seconds left and it's fourth down so there's no time left for another play. I told him, 'You don't have the arm for that anymore. You're too old.' He looked at me like, 'FU,' and launched that ball so f----- far, it was ridiculous. That's how he is."

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post

The Toast of Titletown

A bunch of telling quotes in the article but I always like to hear Sitton's perspective on stuff for some reason.
    Holy Cow.

I have to make a plate of sandwiches before reading that.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

The Toast of Titletown

A solid story by a good writer and hopefully a man that will support Aaron Rodgers for MVP.

What really struck me wasn't just this incredible season after a 1-2 start; but the fact Aaron Rodgers return last season got the Packers into the playoffs.

That's spelled MVP.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Blog Entries

The Toast of Titletown

Nice article, Vince.

I didn't know Silver could put something like that together.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Nice article, Vince.

I didn't know Silver could put something like that together.
    As reporters go, he's pretty close to Rodgers... they're both Golden Bear Alum.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    true. Still, I think people don't realize how poor the Cowboy receiving corpse (intentional) really is. Dallas relies on the running game because, with the exception of Bryant (sometimes, when he isn't melting down), their receivers struggle to get open unless there is the threat of the run. And Romo can't throw receivers open the way Rodgers can.
    But look at Rogers and the Pack. Just a few years ago without a serious running threat we had Jennings, Jordy, Cobb, Jones and Finley. Now with Lacy we can get away with Jordy and Cobb. ARod can do things that Romo can't but a running game can open up the pass.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Another article on Rodgers as the new Joe Cool (and the Packers new-age wco) from Chris Brown (smartfootball):

http://grantland.com/features/aaron-...coast-offense/

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Another article on Rodgers as the new Joe Cool (and the Packers new-age wco) from Chris Brown (smartfootball):

Can't recommend that one enough. Its not as long as many of smartfootball's more detailed X and O articles, so its an enjoyably short read. But it has a great sample of the new and old in the Packers offense. Plus, play explaining GIFs, the best thing to happen to football on the Internet in the last 5 years.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Can't recommend that one enough. Its not as long as many of smartfootball's more detailed X and O articles, so its an enjoyably short read. But it has a great sample of the new and old in the Packers offense. Plus, play explaining GIFs, the best thing to happen to football on the Internet in the last 5 years.
    I thought the comparison to Montana was interesting. Early on, Rodgers was usually compared to Steve Young because of his running ability.

I thought the comparison to Montana was interesting. Early on, Rodgers was usually compared to Steve Young because of his running ability.
    Yeah, people often forget how much a pocket QB Young became over time. Plus his accuracy was a step above Montana's high mark, albeit in slightly different eras.

Rodgers reminds me of Montana in part because he does not seem as physically robust as Young or Favre. Montana/Rodgers seem leaner. Which makes their survival all the more remarkable.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    But look at Rogers and the Pack. Just a few years ago without a serious running threat we had Jennings, Jordy, Cobb, Jones and Finley. Now with Lacy we can get away with Jordy and Cobb. ARod can do things that Romo can't but a running game can open up the pass.
    Sure, the ability to run is a great thing, esp. if you get cold and high winds (see Packers, 2007). But I'd still take the Packers receivers over the Cowboys every time. Just compare R.Rodgers and Witten against Detroit and you can see that one ascending and the other descending have met in the middle. Jordy>>Bryant, Adams>(slightly) Williams (I'd concede Williams slightly better if you pushed me), and Cobb>>Beasley Reece.

Packers d-backs are far superior relative to the Dallas WRs than Dallas DBs to Packer WRs. Without the PKD™, Dallas will struggle to get pressure on Rodgers and he should gut them, assuming the wind isn't ridiculous and his calf holds up.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Yeah, people often forget how much a pocket QB Young became over time. Plus his accuracy was a step above Montana's high mark, albeit in slightly different eras.

Rodgers reminds me of Montana in part because he does not seem as physically robust as Young or Favre. Montana/Rodgers seem leaner. Which makes their survival all the more remarkable.
    Montana was a squirrelly little guy for 6'2' Rodgers - same height - probably has 25 pounds on him. Helps when you get planted in the turf by Giant defenders.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Sure, the ability to run is a great thing, esp. if you get cold and high winds (see Packers, 2007). But I'd still take the Packers receivers over the Cowboys every time. Just compare R.Rodgers and Witten against Detroit and you can see that one ascending and the other descending have met in the middle. Jordy>>Bryant, Adams>(slightly) Williams (I'd concede Williams slightly better if you pushed me), and Cobb>>Beasley Reece.

Packers d-backs are far superior relative to the Dallas WRs than Dallas DBs to Packer WRs. Without the PKD™, Dallas will struggle to get pressure on Rodgers and he should gut them, assuming the wind isn't ridiculous and his calf holds up.
    I would take the Packer WRs also. But if you have a solid running game and a WR like Bryant you can make the O work. When you have a solid running game with Jordy, Cobb and a developing Adams along with ARod you can flourish on O.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Montana was a squirrelly little guy for 6'2' Rodgers - same height - probably has 25 pounds on him. Helps when you get planted in the turf by Giant defenders.
    Yeah, but Young was significantly shorter than Montana I think, and looked stouter. I get the same impression from looking at Favre and Rodgers side by side even if they are virtually the same height.

Young was 6'2" as well and about midway maybe between Montana and Rodgers.

Ya, Monatana - squirrelly; Young - built like a halfback. Just look at the difference in the thickness of the legs.

That picture looks straight out of 1988 (which it probably was) but Shanahan looks right out of 1974. Or '64. Would be '54 too but not sure about color football photography in those days. Probably reserved for game days.

That picture looks straight out of 1988 (which it probably was) but Shanahan looks right out of 1974. Or '64. Would be '54 too but not sure about color football photography in those days. Probably reserved for game days.
    That photo was taken in 1992.

In 1992 Mike Shanahan was hired as OC for the San Francisco 49ers or the last season that Joe Montana was a 49er.

Just came here to link to that article. The GIF's are great. About the only thing I disagree with is that the Packers complete 5-10 slants a game.

Also, for as much shit as MM has taken around here I think this quote describes his offenses perfectly...

Football is a cycle. You’re going to see things in this league or out of this league and in college football.’ It’s very important to stay on the front side of that cycle.
    Go PACK