Thread: Duds and Studs, Bears Edition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson, Marty B (in addition to Geronimo! Allison).

My gut says it was schematic concepts too, but I don't know enough to point it out. I remember the offense scoring so quickly and easily the defense was on the field a lot and often gassed. Did defenses catch up?
    I don't know much about schemes either. I do think that Packer fans tend to undervalue Jennings. We've got no one like him now, even Jordy. I compare him to Antonio Brown. And I'd take Finley in a heartbeat over Marty. Ditto Driver over Allison. Cobb I'll give you.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I don't know much about schemes either. I do think that Packer fans tend to undervalue Jennings. We've got no one like him now, even Jordy. I compare him to Antonio Brown. And I'd take Finley in a heartbeat over Marty. Ditto Driver over Allison. Cobb I'll give you.
    I agree with you here. For the space of what, about three years, I believe he was one of the very best receivers in the entire NFL. He was smooth as glass running routes - he could get more open than a New York hooker. And he had the hands, plus the moves to get lots of YAC. Loved him. But he didn't last for a long time.

The other Packer wide receiver that I don't think really got his due was Robert Brooks. He could run over the middle, make tough catches, get open, score touchdowns. I think he got hurt just as he was coming into his prime, and was never the same. But for a brief period, he was incredible. Far better than Antonio Freeman, in my estimation.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack