Thread: Tell me again how the Packers have faith in Ty Montgomery.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Understood that it's easier to coordinate a run game vs. a defensive backfield. The communication has to be at another level. I'm not directly comparing, but recall the mistake of last year of having nothing but youth for depth at DB. Also, in 2013, the major issue was being prepared at backup QB. I understand that if the starting QB goes down, you're going to have issues anyway, and they did. Part of those issues was caused by lack of proper planning for the backups. In final roster cut down, they finally decide that Graham Harrell can't play backup and pulled the plug on the Vince Young experiment. TT all but admitted that he should have signed someone like that at the start of the off-season to give him more time to learn the offense. Then he basically scrambled to get two new backups...not good. I know, QB, it's a whole other level of challenge, but you should properly plan each position group and not leave things to chance.

I hope that Monty never gets hurt, has an awesome season and that all the new backs are studs. If you are TT, have you done enough for the position at this point? I think if he stands pat at the position, he is taking a bit of a risk. Don't get me wrong, they all look good and bring different things to the table, but they are all rookies and as of right now and they are the backups. Is that enough?
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 05-02-2017 at 05:45 AM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post

I hope that Monty never gets hurt, has an awesome season and that all the new backs are studs. If you are TT, have you done enough for the position at this point? I think if he stands pat at the position, he is taking a bit of a risk. Don't get me wrong, they all look good and bring different things to the table, but they are all rookies and as of right now and they are the backups. Is that enough?
    Runningback is one position where rookies can contribute right away. Williams might not be the most dynamic prospect out there, but he seems pretty solid overall. I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing as much or More than Monty by the end of the year. Packers have had recent success with rookie runningbacks (Lacy, Starks in the playoffs, Brandon Jackson). If it appears at the end of training camp that the rookies aren't ready, there will be veterans available to be picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Runningback is one position where rookies can contribute right away. Williams might not be the most dynamic prospect out there, but he seems pretty solid overall. I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing as much or More than Monty by the end of the year. Packers have had recent success with rookie runningbacks (Lacy, Starks in the playoffs, Brandon Jackson). If it appears at the end of training camp that the rookies aren't ready, there will be veterans available to be picked up.
    The most critical thing Packers RB's have to learn to be able to contribute is blitz pick-up. If they can do that, they have a shot at playing. Otherwise the Packers will be limited to Monty and Rip for passing plays, and it will be harder to disguise what play they are planning to run.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!