Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: wow. lots of talk about the running games

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Atlanta was supposed to win because of their run game, too.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Atlanta was supposed to win because of their run game, too.
    They also had the best WR in the league, a Hall of Fame TE, a pro-bowl kick returner, and a pro-bowl quarterback. Bears have a 1000 yard wide receiver, a tight-end, the best punt returner ever, and a risk taking, strong armed, solid quarterback.

Supposely Forte has averaged 5.0 yards per carry the last 7 games. He also had 8 catches in the last game of the season. Hopefully having Jenkins play this time will help the run defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Supposely Forte has averaged 5.0 yards per carry the last 7 games. He also had 8 catches in the last game of the season. Hopefully having Jenkins play this time will help the run defense.
    Jenkins was getting shoved around versus Atlanta. Hopefully, he is still getting his sea legs back.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Who cares.

When GB tries to stop the run, they stuff it. Dom plays nickel even against run personnel. They aren't actually trying to run, they are trying to "keep the defense honest" to set up PA. Dom is dishonest. GB played more nickel in '10 than any other team, by a huge margin. And GB was the best team against PA passing. By a huge margin. Runs don't gash GB for explosive plays that set up scores. They make 2nd/3rd down manageable, that about it. Dom runs the ultimate white elephant D. GB is one of the best in the league at stuffing short yardage runs (#2), one of the best in the league at not allowing TD's, and well above average at not allowing first downs via the run. Odd for a team that is one of the league's worst at YPA. LOL.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    Who cares.

When GB tries to stop the run, they stuff it. Dom plays nickel even against run personnel. They aren't actually trying to run, they are trying to "keep the defense honest" to set up PA. Dom is dishonest. GB played more nickel in '10 than any other team, by a huge margin. And GB was the best team against PA passing. By a huge margin. Runs don't gash GB for explosive plays that set up scores. They make 2nd/3rd down manageable, that about it. Dom runs the ultimate white elephant D. GB is one of the best in the league at stuffing short yardage runs (#2), one of the best in the league at not allowing TD's, and well above average at not allowing first downs via the run. Odd for a team that is one of the league's worst at YPA. LOL.
    Damn I never thought about that. DCap is a ruthless mofo.

The #2 ranking is cool but not surprising cuz it does seem like the opposing offenses on 3rd & short gets stopped most of the time. Gives the kind of confidence that make you wanna bet your life savings on the game. I think I will have to do a lil something like that.

Who cares.

Sure you show up now with this Waldo! But two months ago when I was trying to sort it out, everyone wanted to blame injuries. Sometime in the month after that thread, McGinn finally coughed up a number like 16%: as in, the Packers had played base D 16% of snaps in the entire season.

But do you think he is doing it because he has that much faith in nickel run D OR because he knows Woodson in the slot and Shields outside is a far better matchup than any 3rd lineman?

Or is McGinn right that he is protecting Wood from playing outside?
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-20-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Sure you show up now with this Waldo! But two months ago when I was trying to sort it out, everyone wanted to blame injuries. Sometime in the month after that thread, McGinn finally coughed up a number like 16%: as in, the Packers had played base D 16% of snaps in the entire season.

But do you think he is doing it because he has that much faith in nickel run D OR because he knows Woodson in the slot and Shields outside is a far better matchup than any 3rd lineman?

I just thought they were hip to the Kovash/Leavitt paper "Professionals don't play Minimax" and are going pass-heavy and pass-defense heavy as a result.

because he knows Woodson in the slot and Shields outside is a far better matchup than any 3rd lineman?
    My guess is this is closest to the right answer. Capers just wants to have Shields on the field taking away that deep threat and allowing Woodson to move all over the place. The rookie is just too talented to not have out there consistently. Without a 3rd corner, Woodson has to play outside, which, he can do, but isn't as much of a strength at this point in his career.

I think they really like Woodson inside because it opens up a lot of his playbook. Woodson was the DPOY last year. I really don't think he stinks all of a sudden on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I think they really like Woodson inside because it opens up a lot of his playbook. Woodson was the DPOY last year. I really don't think he stinks all of a sudden on the outside.
    Outside his no longer his strength, but besides Bob Sanders, I can't think of a DB I've EVER watched who supports the run D like Wood does. Move him to safety already, not that it matters the way we use him.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

PB, you and I had this conversation at that time. I said that the packers weren't making stopping the run a priority this year and were playing a D with the attitude of: Go ahead and run the ball enough to keep up with Aaron...I dare you.

Its not about the faith in the nickel so much as its having so much faith in the Offense that you are willing to sacrifice the run D to not give up anything in the passing game.

I love the stat waldo posted about 2nd in short yardage run D. It speaks volumes of what happens when this unit prioritizes anything. And welcome back Waldo. Even if I disagree with you about Kampman, I still like your posts.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    PB, you and I had this conversation at that time. I said that the packers weren't making stopping the run a priority this year and were playing a D with the attitude of: Go ahead and run the ball enough to keep up with Aaron...I dare you.

Its not about the faith in the nickel so much as its having so much faith in the Offense that you are willing to sacrifice the run D to not give up anything in the passing game.

I love the stat waldo posted about 2nd in short yardage run D. It speaks volumes of what happens when this unit prioritizes anything. And welcome back Waldo. Even if I disagree with you about Kampman, I still like your posts.
    Perhaps that is the reason, but it would be strange to continue to do it with the offense struggling for a good stretch in the middle of the season. I think it has to do with refusing to give up big pass plays like last year. This personnel and its cousins are a response to Arizona and Pittsburgh in my mind.

Who cares.

Waldo!
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Waldo!
    +1

Love Waldo's takes, always have, always will.

Who cares.

Those are some good stats but that still doesnt change the fact that Matt Forte had a great game against us in week 17. We must contain him on Sunday and force Cutler to beat us.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Those are some good stats but that still doesnt change the fact that Matt Forte had a great game against us in week 17. We must contain him on Sunday and force Cutler to beat us.
    I'll be OK if Forte is their top receiver again, but I'd like to see less than 80 yards
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I think really, compared to the week 17 game, what we need to beat the Bears this time is a better showing by the offense. Considering how well they've played in the last couple weeks (2nd half against Philly notwithstanding) I'm reasonably confident that they can do that.
    </delurk>

Quote Originally Posted by OS PA View Post
    They also had the best WR in the league, a Hall of Fame TE, a pro-bowl kick returner, and a pro-bowl quarterback. Bears have a 1000 yard wide receiver, a tight-end, the best punt returner ever, and a risk taking, strong armed, solid quarterback.
    Who is the 1000 yard receiver on the Bears?

Hey Waldo,

I hadn't noticed it too much, but another poster mentioned Dom playing a lot of 3-3 nickle instead of the 2-4 nickle we're used to. Have you observed that or have stats to show that?