Thread: Grade the 2016 draft

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    The interesting thing about Ted Thompson is he always says he take the top value on his draft board and doesn't necessarily draft for need, but he is full of shit. He always drafts for need. The only pick I can remember that wasn't a need pick was Aaron Rodgers. So it was a no brainer that he was going defense front seven in the first round and it wasn't a real shocker that he took a defensive tackle. I have also learned over the years that it is really hard to figure out the draft two days after it is completed. Talent is really hard to sort out. I don't think you need three years to judge a draft, but you need a season or two.

Kenny Clark:
    As far as the defensive tackles go he was by far one of the more underrated top tier guys. I thought the Packers were interested but in the second round of the draft. He probably wouldn't have made it that far. After watching tape on some of the other guys he had more of impact for his team at the position. If Raji would have signed his contract maybe Thompson would have gone a different direction, but I think as the draft played out on day 1 this was the guy that Thompson wanted. He offered no medical risk and Thompson isn't the type to get stuck behind the 8 ball with injuries out of the gate. Justin Harrell taught him that lesson. Clark is a strong kid that seems to be pretty dedicated. I love the fact that he was an elite wrestler in high school. He offers a bit more pass rush than the other top tier guys.

Jason Spriggs:
    Not a bad pick, seems to be a finesse guy instead of a mauler and that isn't exactly a bad thing as a tackle. Offensive linemen have to be able to move their feet in the NFL and this guy is probably the most athletic tackle in the draft outside of Tunsil. He was the last of the Top Tier guys on my list and the Packers made the right move to go up and get him. He is tackle, but you know the Packers are going to try and work him all over the place. If he has a good camp he could probably push Baktiari.

Kyler Frackrell:
    Big kid that times good. After watching some film on him I think he lacks that instinct that will allow him to play aggressively. His play sort of reminds me of AJ Hawk. Assignment sure and can make plays when he is in position but lacks dynamic instincts. He will struggle to be a play maker in the NFL.

Blake Martinez
    Sorry Blake for forgetting you. I am sure on some thread months back I mentioned this guy. He is built for the position and has solid workout numbers along with solid statistics. He was a tackling machine in college and he likes to work out and take care of his body. Other than that I couldn't find any meaningful film on him so I apologize.

Dean Lowry:
    He holds the point of attack really well as long as his technique holds and he doesn't get high. He has a really quick first step and if he is shooting gaps he is in the backfield. He moves well for a man his size, really well. Issue with him is his short arms, he usually beats the offensive linemen off the ball but he can't disengage, in one on one pass rushing situations he gets stood up because the offensive linemen can extend his arms. I love his movement off the snap. He has a great stance, powerful I just really worry that he is going to constantly get hung up at the next level. In terms of value of the pick he could surprise some people and be a mainstay on the defensive line.

Trevor Davis:
    This kid can fly, his highlight tape looks like a video game. I just question his route running if he is not running bubble screens, and go routes. I think his kick returning abilities have something to do with his selection here and his workout numbers are hard to deny, but he was drafted because his numbers say he has potential and this late in the draft Thompson was willing to gamble a little bit. I don't love the pick and think he will be more comparable to David Clowney than a receiver that is going to contribute to this roster. He is going to frustrate coaches because he flashes big time, he makes ridiculous catches, but then he will disappear and struggle with the route tree.

Kyle Murphy: I think this kid offers some great value and has been coached up at Stanford. He isn't a great athlete, He could probably play guard or right tackle but he doesn't really move well enough as left tackle to protect in pass pro. He is pretty sound with foot work and technique but he just isn't a great athlete. He gets a good jump on the snap count and that is what saves him in pass pro.
    Last edited by Deputy Nutz; 05-02-2016 at 10:47 AM.