Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Gameday Thread 8-16-14, against some other team in a game that doesn't matter

Gamblin' Rat
    Ya - I think the NFL is forgetting that the fans really don't want to see refs dominating the game and TV time. WTF!!!

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 23s
    Heading up from the locker room now. Jeff Janis has the best nickname I've heard in a while: "V12."

I like the nickname but its not going to catch on. Should switch it to "Lambo".
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Looks like the Packers have a total of 5 offensive lineman that can play.

Well, maybe one of the other guys would get better by playing if he had to.

Sherrod had 3 very bad plays. That's too many.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post

I missed most of the game. Are you saying Sherrod can't play, or one of the starters?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Sherrod had 3 very bad plays. That's too many.
    No, it was two. That illegal procedure was the fault of the center or QB. From the wire camera behind the QB, the RT, RG and Sherrod all went on the same count. But the ball stayed put.

Still, those two pass protection failures were pretty brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I missed most of the game. Are you saying Sherrod can't play, or one of the starters?
    He has a lot to learn. He had a bad positional setup early and was getting punched and had no time or space to recover against Ram #97. He was setting up WAY too inside. Rest of game was better including a few decent run blocks, but he has got an issue in protection on the Left that must be fixed.

I forgot about the penalty. I saw Sherry lose it on three plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    The five starters look excellent.

Both the backup tackles had breakdowns. Perhaps I am overstating the dung smell.

Tolzien has a good throwing arm.

I might watch the game again, it was so boring that I was distracted by a fly circling the room.

sherrod was also about to get beat bad around the outside but luckily the DE stopped his rush for some reason and decided to cut back underneath. if the pass rusher would have continued his initial rush, tolzien (or maybe it was flynn at that point) would have gotten destroyed for the 3rd time

The five starters look excellent.

Both the backup tackles had breakdowns. Perhaps I am overstating the dung smell.
    no, you're not

we need to pray to god none of our starters get hurt, or else, we're fucked

Linsley looked OK. Not sure if there is a backup Guard on the roster even though Taylor has gotten some praise in camp.

The second line blocked the run OK against the #2 defense. It looks better than last year.

Can we wait to write Sherrod off? Barely played in 2-3 years and had a good game last week. Even a good OL has a bad game.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Can we wait to write Sherrod off? Barely played in 2-3 years and had a good game last week. Even a good OL has a bad game.
    He should be able to block 2nd stringers.

He came back at the end of last season, he has had plenty of time to get timing down. No mulligans.

Whatever. Janis owns.

That #97 was Eugene Jones. A four year veteran with five career sacks. Drafted in the sixth round of the 2010 draft. Jones is a Texas A&M product. Er... actually that's West Texas A&M (not kidding).

Look, Derrick Sherrod has the lineage and physical gifts to dominate a JAG such as E. Jones. Can he, will he, get it together in time for the regular season? Long shot. If he looked like that against Just A Jag Jones (sorry Bretsky), how will he look against the elite edge rushers that line up week after week when the real bullets fly?

LT is a trust position, especially when the QB is one Aaron Rodgers. Sherrod will never smell the field without gaining some trust in protecting the blind side. Just like pass targets need to earn trust by running correct routes and making proper reads, just like a RB needs to have trust that they can pass protect, LT needs that basic trust as well.

The NFL is a ruthless business.

Go back and look at #16 get buried on that first sack. Then envision it's the regular season and it's #12 taking that hit. Can't have it. No "on the job training" allowed when the real games start.

Rams are ridiculously deep at DE, so it's not like the guy is a street FA.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/7/...roster-preview

The St. Louis Rams have one of the deepest defensive lines in the NFL. Almost every defensive line player could play for any team and a majority of them could start. Eugene Sims is a player who might not start for every team in the league but he would get his fair share of snaps.

Yes, the Rams have solid depth on the defensive line and Sims is a big part of that.
    I haven't watched the game yet, but I won't write the guy off for one bad series or bad game. He played good last week. There aren't too many guys who are great every week. Bahktiari struggled against the Rams last preaseason and people were ready to write off the season. I'll wait to see how he does the next couple of weeks.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I'll wait to see how he does the next couple of weeks.
    It's not a question of writing him off. The Packers don't have a better option, so all you can do is praise his good feet and hope for the best - like we did with Newhouse last year.

It's more that fear is in the air, the fear of great suckiness. With Barclay gone, the stakes are high. The herd is nervous.

So, a blogger from a homer site called "turfshowtimes.com" says Jones "could play for any team and on a majority of them could start." LMAO. Entering his 5th year if he had this type of play he would have hit free agent market by now or maybe he just has a bad agent, seeing as how he could start for most teams.

Dude's started two games in four years. Rams have a solid line now but hasn't always been the case since Jones came in to the league.

Sherrod just needs to step it up, now. His time is running out and getting run over by Jag E. Jones will not help.