Thread: More Banjo: Week 6 @ Minnesota

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    What is this kind of hit? Are we going to make tackling the QB illegal? Maybe I saw it differently than others, but there was nothing particularly violent about the tackle, wide receivers are brought down like that every play. I think Rodgers was mad that it was a late hit, but looking at replay, it wasn't late. Close - if the guy had another half second and extra step it woulda been a flag.

There is no rule change that can fix this other than eliminating tackling the QB. Maybe that will happen - seriously. It could be two-hand-touch for the passer.
    QBs are typically tackled by linemen and LBs. WRs are typically tackled by defensive backs. WR are typically moving faster and aren't usually landed on like QBs standing in the pocket or looking downfield. Even so you may have noticed Packer WR still get hurt with lighter hit than Rodgers took.

The tackle wasn't all the violent it was just a hard hit with a full body landing on Rodgers with extended arm.

Of course we wouldn't be making that big of deal if he hadn't got hurt. But every time a QB - or anyone else - takes a hit like that there's a chance for injury.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    QBs are typically tackled by linemen and LBs. WRs are typically tackled by defensive backs. WR are typically moving faster and aren't usually landed on like QBs standing in the pocket or looking downfield. Even so you may have noticed Packer WR still get hurt with lighter hit than Rodgers took.

The tackle wasn't all the violent it was just a hard hit with a full body landing on Rodgers with extended arm.

Of course we wouldn't be making that big of deal if he hadn't got hurt. But every time a QB - or anyone else - takes a hit like that there's a chance for injury.
    I don't think it was an illegal hit but my beef is it was unnecessary. Barr didn't need to tackle him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I don't think it was an illegal hit but my beef is it was unnecessary. Barr didn't need to tackle him.
    His job is to tackle the QB - hard. He has to sense when it is too late, and he made the right choice.

Of course on every play when the ball is gone there is no "need" to tackle the QB. But a defender is not supposed to turn off/on instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Agreed. The only reason to hit a QB who has already thrown a ball is to hurt him. It's time for the Packers to start hitting people back like that. Old school baseball rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Agreed. The only reason to hit a QB who has already thrown a ball is to hurt him. It's time for the Packers to start hitting people back like that. Old school baseball rules.
    It was a brilliant move. If you can KO arguably the best player in the league and not even get a penalty, you're money. Probably the best tackle Barr will ever make. Packer should train their defense off that video.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Yup, Barr was going for the kill shot. Taking out #12 now has improved their chances to win the division. Don't be surprised if our defenders get a little more aggressive the next time we play MN.

If anybody else is still confused, we can step outside and have a demonstration.

The only reason to hit a QB who has already thrown a ball is to hurt him.
    No, the goal is to keep the QB nervous and his feet happy. Pressure. If you shake him up- good. But the idea is not to break his collar bone, that is just a delightful possibility.

I remember in high school football, when we played an option team, the defensive end was instructed to tackle the QB hard every play, whether he pitched the ball or not. The goal was to wear the QB down, as well as remove one option. Idea is not to create an injury. (OK, maybe 1970s high school football is a little different than 2017 NFL.)

No, the goal is to keep the QB nervous and his feet happy. Pressure. If you shake him up- good. But the idea is not to break his collar bone, that is just a delightful possibility.

I remember in high school football, when we played an option team, the defensive end was instructed to tackle the QB hard every play, whether he pitched the ball or not. The goal was to wear the QB down, as well as remove one option. Idea is not to create an injury. (OK, maybe 1970s high school football is a little different than 2017 NFL.)
    I feel like you are artificially increasing the distance between causing fear/nervousness and causing injury in your explication.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I feel like you are artificially increasing the distance between causing fear/nervousness and causing injury in your explication.
    What is the point of any hard tackling in football?

It's a game of emotion and aggression and domination, snowflake.

you want to rattle the opponent, make them hesitant.

What is the point of any hard tackling in football?

It's a game of emotion and aggression and domination, snowflake.

you want to rattle the opponent, make them hesitant.
    Of course, but that renders the space between fear/intimidation and trying to hurt them very small. Saying players aren't trying to hurt them is not true.

Most are probably not trying to end their year though.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.