Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is McCarthy the problem?

Is McCarthy the problem?

Recently Greg Jennings points to MM's conservatism as something that has cost the team championships.

http://www.packersnews.com/videos/sp...lem/103668734/

Yes you could say that Jennings is a douche and he's just trying to bring attention to himself, but I've heard such a criticism for years now. In my opinion, McCarthy has demonstrated over and over again that he can't put teams away and hangs on for dear life at the end of big games.

Perhaps Jennings brings up a legitimate beef, what do you think?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    In my opinion, McCarthy has demonstrated over and over again that he can't put teams away and hangs on for dear life at the end of big games.
    I think this is demonstrably true. The circumstances of each bungle however are uniquely different, suggesting the answer is more often Packers teams playing right up to their skill limit and leaving no room for error. Plus Stubby could turn coal into diamonds in that tight *** of his.

In the case of 2011, part of the blame rested squarely on Jennings. Football is a total team game. When guys point fingers, I'm 10 times more likely to blame the finger pointer than anyone else, especially when you have a team with such long term success as McCarthy's. Sour bitter grapes aired like Jennings is more a reflection of his character than anything else.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

we've all said this about him. when the defense can't be counted on to get a stop the o has to keep the pedal down. he doesn't do it for whatever reason.

maybe mm will call games with a little more urgency this season with Rodgers' "all-in" decree and his lastest "i'm on the back 9" now. ted needs to take note too. that's two warnings that aren't to be ignored before nuclear winter sets in.
    Last edited by gbgary; 07-15-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    This is bs and we all know it. Smuggler or someone did an analysis of end of games and MM won more than anyone in the NFL but Billacheat.

Look at the ARI/GB playoff game to see an attacking end of the game strategy backfire.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    This is bs and we all know it. Smuggler or someone did an analysis of end of games and MM won more than anyone in the NFL but Billacheat.

Look at the ARI/GB playoff game to see an attacking end of the game strategy backfire.

We're only talking about 'big games' that they blew down the stretch. If you include all games, you won't have a biased sample.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Sure, but in games, as in life, you never get to do the control. What if Stubby goes all conservative at the end and runs Grant instead of Rodgers overthrowing Jennings on the deep bomb? Do they win then? No one will ever know. We also don't know that they get back in that game without an all out aerial bombardment. .....But we have a pretty good idea.

I think it was vince who took exception and did some nice work to refute the point (which was my complaint, if I remember correctly).

I still think that does happen, though vince's work makes it clear its not Marvin Lewis like struggle we are talking about here.

It sort of shrank the complaint down to the level of goal to go personnel sets. Why limit your options and make the job of the defense easier when you have a lead and the greatest non interception machine ever?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Why limit your options and make the job of the defense easier when you have a lead and the greatest non interception machine ever?
    this!

M3 is a part of the problem, insomuch as he is partially resposible for the main problem - which is dunderdummy.

TT is equally to blame with McCarthy though as neither one of them has the guts to fire DD.

2017 will be another wasted year.
    wist

Blog Entries
    EPPN 1070 had a hayday with Jennings. There was an overwhelming consensus. There is Hoody Genius and the other 31 coaches. And it's not even close. Hello Captain Obvious....IMO

But they noted that the conservative route often chosen by MM is the same one Tomlin and every other coach in the NFL takes except Hoody Genius.

Some went on to further say that MM's calls are obviously worse because TT has did an amazing job stacking our offense and a sad job stacking our defense.

Obviously Wist didn't call in; nobody mentioned anything about Dom Capers and the defensive coaches besides the obvious references that they don't have enough to work with to rely on for key 3rd down stops
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    EPPN 1070 had a hayday with Jennings. There was an overwhelming consensus. There is Hoody Genius and the other 31 coaches. And it's not even close.
    If that's really what they said, they're a bunch of idiots. Ya, Cheat is the best, but Stubby and few others are a clearly superior second group.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    If that's really what they said, they're a bunch of idiots. Ya, Cheat is the best, but Stubby and few others are a clearly superior second group.
    They didn't really attempt to tier coaches, but I'd agree with you Stubb is in the second tier in a group of the next 8 or so coaches

Their comments were as I stated....on this topic and the rest...there is Hoody and the rest of the pack

And Hoody is the one coach that will keep stomping on you while you are down because he knows his offense is superior. The rest...the last 31....just play the odds and call the game based on the score..etc.......
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Last 5 Years Run Rate by Down in 4th Q with a Lead

.............1........2........3......4.......Win % in Those Games
    NE........52.0...32.3...14.6...1.1.........95.2
    GB........51.1...33.9...13.6...1.4.........92.0
    League..50.1...33.8...15.0...1.1.........82.1

Not a lot of difference in approach across the league in reality but the notion that Bellichick acts differently with a lead in the 4th is incorrect.

NE and GB have historically (last decade or so) been the 2 best teams in the league in successfully closing games with 4th Q lead. Widely-held misperceptions about this have to be based on 1 or 2 memorable anomalies.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Widely-held misperceptions about this have to be based on 1 or 2 memorable anomalies.
    More like 3 or 4. A lot of pain is contained in 3.2%

Blog Entries
    This is kind of interesting.

Last 5 Years Run Rate by Down in 4th Q close games (when leading by 7 or less)

..............1st........2nd......3rd.......4th... .......Win % in Those Game
    NE..........53.8......29.7.....14.5......2.1...... ......90.0
    GB..........49.4......33.3.....15.6......1.7...... ......89.5
    League....53.2......32.4.....13.5......0.9........ ....68.8

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    M3 is a part of the problem, insomuch as he is partially resposible for the main problem - which is dunderdummy.

TT is equally to blame with McCarthy though as neither one of them has the guts to fire DD.

2017 will be another wasted year.
    I don't think TT hires or fires Mike's assistant coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Last 5 Years Run Rate by Down in 4th Q with a Lead

.............1........2........3......4.......Win % in Those Games
    NE........52.0...32.3...14.6...1.1.........95.2
    GB........51.1...33.9...13.6...1.4.........92.0
    League..50.1...33.8...15.0...1.1.........82.1

Not a lot of difference in approach across the league in reality but the notion that Bellichick acts differently with a lead in the 4th is incorrect.

NE and GB have historically (last decade or so) been the 2 best teams in the league in successfully closing games with 4th Q lead. Widely-held misperceptions about this have to be based on 1 or 2 memorable anomalies.
    Seriously, welcome back to the fray. But I have to set some time (probably during fantasy football prep) to dig in further to their records. The stuff you have dug up make it obvious the differences are not huge.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Except stubby has been saved by Rodgers. BB would still be a great coach without Brady. Rodgers should be paid 10 times what he is as he has made stubby and TT look great as opposed to the mediocre they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Except stubby has been saved by Rodgers.
    *SIGH*

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    *SIGH*
    Koolaid Drinker