View Poll Results: What do you think of MM's comments about our OLB Depth ??

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree with MM; our depth at OLB is as deep as it's ever been

1 6.67%
  • MM was either drunk, off his rocker, or this is more Fluff

7 46.67%
  • I'm not sure, but I think we might be fine with our depth at OLB. Wait and See

7 46.67%

Thread: COMMETNS BY MM ABOUT EARLY CAMP ON OUTSIDE LINEBACKER

Blog Entries

COMMETNS BY MM ABOUT EARLY CAMP ON OUTSIDE LINEBACKER

Stealing another topic from ESPN 1070---MM was quoted by Packer beat writers as saying this seems to be more depth at OLB then he has had since he's been here.

Anybody agree with this.............or..............is this an example of why you just don't believe anything the coaches say at this point because it's all fluff ??
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Deep, yes, lots of average players there

Blog Entries
    To me this is training camp fluff..just like how we have all these great looking secondary guys. It feeds the fans.

We lost Julius Peppers and Datone Jones. We picked up the Beigle and still have Eliott and Fackrell.....I don't see the depth improving from last yr
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I see it has as defiance in relation to what some see as a negative situation. He's publicly showing confidence in the guys who need to step up this year. (Fackrell, Biegel, Elliott). Back in 2010 the Packers were heading in to New England without Rodgers and Matthews. When asked about being an underdog, he said "We're nobody's underdog." Of course, they were a huge underdog but went in there and played better than just about anybody thought they would.

Is it fluff? Maybe. But no more than Aaron Rodgers saying last year "I think we can run the table."

It could be true, as I think all three, Elliott, Fackrell, and Biegel have the potential to be a LOT better than Datone Jones and a little better than late career Julius Peppers. They still have to prove it on the field, though.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I see it has as defiance in relation to what some see as a negative situation. He's publicly showing confidence in the guys who need to step up this year. (Fackrell, Biegel, Elliott). Back in 2010 the Packers were heading in to New England without Rodgers and Matthews. When asked about being an underdog, he said "We're nobody's underdog." Of course, they were a huge underdog but went in there and played better than just about anybody thought they would.

Is it fluff? Maybe. But no more than Aaron Rodgers saying last year "I think we can run the table."
    This. McCarthy's doing the right thing by believing in his guys but this is the biggest area of uncertainty on the team I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    This. McCarthy's doing the right thing by believing in his guys but this is the biggest area of uncertainty on the team I'd say.
    I think the biggest question on this defense: When Matthews and Perry get slowed or knocked out of the lineup by injuries (and you know they will), will the young guys provide enough pass rush so that the secondary isn't hung out to dry? The young guys have talent, but it's all pretty untested at this point.

Yes, what else is McCoach supposed to say publicly, our linebackers suck?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Yes, what else is McCoach supposed to say publicly, our linebackers suck?
    If the stories about M3 and Ted being at odds with each other were true, then I would expect something more like that.

But since they are pretty harmonious, I agree he is just coaching here as he prefers when its public.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    If the stories about M3 and Ted being at odds with each other were true, then I would expect something more like that.

But since they are pretty harmonious, I agree he is just coaching here as he prefers when its public.
    That's not exactly a murder's row of outside linebackers. Is there a UDFA OLB that may surprise?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

There are only two people MM can reasonably complain to about talent levels are TT and Murphy, and going to Murphy is basically going to war against TT. In public the only thing he can say that is critical of players is to make comments about actual on-field performances, which haven't happened yet.

Negative comments by coaches about player talent levels, especially during the off season, are not given at press conferences, they are delivered by unicorns.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    That's not exactly a murder's row of outside linebackers. Is there a UDFA OLB that may surprise?
    Jonathan Calvin from Miss St. He had a productive senior season but wasn't invited to the combine. He sounds reasonably athletic, but is probably a project at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I've stopped getting my hopes up about UDFA OLB's. Since 2009 the list includes:
    Cyril Obiozor
    Frank Zombo
    Rob Francois
    Vic So'oto
    Dezman Moses
    Andy Mulumba
    Jayrone Elliott

I've stopped getting my hopes up about UDFA OLB's. Since 2009 the list includes:
    Cyril Obiozor
    Frank Zombo
    Rob Francois
    Vic So'oto
    Dezman Moses
    Andy Mulumba
    Jayrone Elliott
    Still kinda disappointed by Obiozor and So'oto. Looked good for a while. Zombo still getting paid. Not really a starter though.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    any OLB with pass rushing ability gets overdrafted

Tough to find an undrafted dude who can rush the passer.

Conner Barwin anybody ??

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Remember when Erik Walden had 11 sacks last year?
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Rob Francois was an inside linebacker. But your point remains.

And The Biegel starts, appropriate to his name, on the PUP list.

I say the guy's gonna be a dud.Or maybe a JAG, at best.

Jayrone Elliot will be ahead of him on the depth chart, even once The Biegel is healthy.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    And The Biegel starts, appropriate to his name, on the PUP list.

I say the guy's gonna be a dud.Or maybe a JAG, at best.

Jayrone Elliot will be ahead of him on the depth chart, even once The Biegel is healthy.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Remember when Erik Walden had 11 sacks last year?
    Erik Walden was drafted.