Its like coaches don't read press coverage of other coaches that get fired quickly, and then go out and make the same mistakes. Let's say that the Kaepernick comparison is valid (he got VERY few snaps - 5 attempt rookie year, 9 in 2nd year prior to Alex Smith getting hurt versus the Rams), it still makes it on of the VERY few instances of this dumb idea working.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ialty-package/

“That’s how Colin Kaepernick got his start in the NFL, as a package quarterback,” Pettine said of the former 49ers backup. “On the other side of the ball, I’ve seen that give defenses some trouble. I think there’s positives and negatives to it. You’re taking your starter off the field. You have his rhythm and continuity to take into account, but at the same time defensively you’re now forcing a team to basically come up with two game plans. I mean, there are pluses and minuses to it and it’s something I’m sure will be discussed at some point.”
This is a defensive coaches mindset, one who has not adjusted to thinking about building an actual functional offense. He might as well just change his name to Ryan.