Thread: Official Free Agency/Offseason Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Ravens place non-exclusive franchise tag on Lamar Jackson. His salary will be at 32.4 million. Other teams can negotiate with him. If a team signs him to an offer sheet, Ravens have 5 days to decide whether to match the offer and keep him. If they don't, they get 2 1st round picks from the team signing him.
    I think they’d be able to trade him for more, but clearly they did their homework or they’d have used the exclusive tag. I like the idea of letting the market set a rate. Lamar can’t be happy about this because the two first rounders will lower his salary I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I think they’d be able to trade him for more, but clearly they did their homework or they’d have used the exclusive tag. I like the idea of letting the market set a rate. Lamar can’t be happy about this because the two first rounders will lower his salary I believe.
    I think a big part of it is teams don't want to give out fully guaranteed contracts. Some owners were pissed when Cousins and especially last year Watson got them. For guaranteed money you have to put the same amount in an escrow, that's a ton of money doing nothing for you. You could argue there's collusion going on with teams publicly saying Nope to Lamar so fast. That, plus the injuries and lack of agent. 26 year old former MVP QBs don't become available unless there's something else going on.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I think a big part of it is teams don't want to give out fully guaranteed contracts. Some owners were pissed when Cousins and especially last year Watson got them. For guaranteed money you have to put the same amount in an escrow, that's a ton of money doing nothing for you. You could argue there's collusion going on with teams publicly saying Nope to Lamar so fast. That, plus the injuries and lack of agent. 26 year old former MVP QBs don't become available unless there's something else going on.
    Whats going on is that he gets hurt, and he hasn't done squat in the playoffs. Combine those things and his value isn't what he believe it to be. However, I am shocked, that given the ludicrous contracts being signed, no one has offered him something to his liking.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.