Thread: The Defense - Again, the Defense :(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You can run a 4-3 without four DOWN lineman. One of them can be an elephant position in a two point stance. But their depth, gap and assignment will tell you whether its a 4-3, 3-4 or hybrid (doing some of each from same alignment).

I have to rewatch to see it. But from Thompson, McCarthy and Capers comments, they are running a 4-3 with an Elephant end and substituting Neal/Peppers for Guion in nickel and dime from what little I have interpolated.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    You can run a 4-3 without four DOWN lineman. One of them can be an elephant position in a two point stance. But their depth, gap and assignment will tell you whether its a 4-3, 3-4 or hybrid (doing some of each from same alignment).

I have to rewatch to see it. But from Thompson, McCarthy and Capers comments, they are running a 4-3 with an Elephant end and substituting Neal/Peppers for Guion in nickel and dime from what little I have interpolated.
    Well, if we're going to say that 3 down linemen is a 4-3, then why have any designation at all?? Just call it a bunch of guys on defense - defense!!

They haven't created a 4-3, or a 3-4, or a hybrid anything... they've simply created a huge mess.

If you think what Capers and the brain trust are doing is viable - then they are certainly your guys. The players are miscast for what the coaching staff is asking of them, they looked confused and out of sync, and they sounded completely demoralized after the game - predictably so.

That is not coaching - that is throwing a bunch of eggs on the floor and calling it an omelet.
    wist