Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
honest to god I don't know who stole your account. I don't have time to unpack all that's wrong here, but just for examples: Goode was actually hurt - and I believe he did get paid an injury settlement. He knows, and the Packers know that he's not quire valuable enough to stash on IR to return. Their method - legal, with in the rules - gave him a way to come back when healthy. And get paid.

Sure, tell me Bennett is hurting - sorry I don't believe you, I believe my lying eyes, that saw him pretty much perfectly fine before and after his 'retirement' announcement. The system has some rules and people play by them and a lot of guys make a lot of money. Bennett signed a contract, and unlike some coaches, who put a clause in to go to another team if that job opens, Marty didn't negotiate a clause to quit (get waived) if Rodgers got hurt. He gamed the system, perhaps in a way that will draw a fine or some sort of reprimand (did his agent lie to clear waivers?). The Packers signed him with expectations of having him for one year. Had he really been hurt, they would have IRed him and paid him, wouldn't they? But he wasn't hurt and he found a slimy way to get out of his contract - basically by threatening to become a locker room cancer.

From your description, there's no reason any player - including Rodgers - shouldn't try this if they want to maneuver themselves onto a team capable of winning a championship.

But you know teams actually sign contracts so they have some certainty about their roster. But 'ol Marty's just doing what teams do, right? wrong.
Bennett has a torn labrum, I don't think there is any doubt about that. His side said they have tests to prove it and the Packers would have known this if they reviewed his medical file. I suspect they did know because they seem competent and thorough, especially around FAs. Though the torn ACL for the new Browns WR a while back means they can make mistakes. McCarthy said they were talking about surgery dates. Unless you think Mike was taking time to bluff Marty, the coach thinks he has an injury and that means the Doc does too.

Can he play through it? Apparently so.

Is there a risk if you continue to play? McKenzie is very cautious so the risk is probably very low. But risk of a worse injury does exist and the player gets to decide what is worth playing through, not the team. If he does need surgery to fix, then playing for anyone delays the surgery. He might prefer to be healthy for the offseason if he has any doubts about the Packers hanging on to him.

Does this mean that Martellus Bennett is a me first player uninterested in team success over his own career? Probably.

Does this mean Bennett is useless to a successful football team? Apparently not to the Patriots.

Could other football players do this? Of course. This isn't the first time a team and player have disagreed about WHEN to have surgery and if you can play through it. This happens all the time. Its happened with Packers before.

It becomes an issue with very good players because there is demand for their services even if their mental make-up isn't all team first. What is different here than a contract hold out? If the player is good enough, they get away with it.

Did the Patriots and Bennett's rep orchestrate this? Probably.