Thread: More Banjo: Week 3 vs Lions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Those numbers, like his overall numbers, are very, very good.

However, as high as those percentages are, shouldn't they even be higher for the 4th quarter lead?

And don't the virtually identical numbers suggest that the team is not increasing its chance for success in the 4th Quarter? They go from 2nd most successful (lead at half) to 9th most successful (lead to start the 4th).

As with his job, I don't think McCarthy should be replaced based on these career numbers, but I think it does point to an ineffectual strategy late. Those 14 losses seem to be the indicator that gives you the 15th most failures (a number that is influenced by his long tenure and many leads). But the success rate does drop between halftime and the fourth quarter.
    I wonder if we as fans are paranoid because of what happened in that playoff game in Seattle in 2014? Whenever we have a nice lead and our opponent begins to creep back in the game we have visions of that nightmare happening again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I wonder if we as fans are paranoid because of what happened in that playoff game in Seattle in 2014? Whenever we have a nice lead and our opponent begins to creep back in the game we have visions of that nightmare happening again.
    Probably in part. But fans, by definition, are unreasonable so our expectations are often out of line with reality.

Something to keep in mind is this: the Packer's last Super Bowl season, do you remember the close calls? Win or loss? Probably not. What matters is they got the win over Detroit. Should they win the whole enchilada, none of us will remember this game by the end of 2017.....

This is exactly the case.

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    This is exactly the case.
    More paranoid? Yes.

But concerns about the 4 minute offense starting too early came well before that. Rand was on the case by 2011.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    More paranoid? Yes.

But concerns about the 4 minute offense starting too early came well before that. Rand was on the case by 2011.
    Those concerns are unfounded - assuming your criteria is finish success rate and not style points.

McCarthy was 86% successful from 2006-2011 closing out 4th Q leads so he's improved his overall success rate 1% in the last 4 years.

He's 90% (37-4) since 2012 in 41 opportunities.

When you're talking about a pretty consistent average of 10ish chances a year, he's been 9 of 10 throughout.
    Last edited by vince; 09-29-2016 at 07:22 PM.