Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Official Packers vs. Seahawks Discussion Thread

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    The main reason most are picking the seachickens is because they all think our defense will be the same mess we had last year. It is inconceivable to them that our D could get any better. On other forums with fans of all teams only Packer fans give us much of a chance and when we do we're called hopeless homers. I hope we surprise a few people tonight.
    Even most Packer fans have a selective memory about our defenses. In 2011 the defense was a turnover machine, gave up a million yards but still wasn't a bottom 10 in points despite an elite offense forcing teams into desperate passing situations all season. 2012 we were actually the 11th best defense in spite of injuries which is overshadowed by the spanking they took in the 49ers game. Even last year the defense started out excellent which just gave them further to fall once the wheels came off.

If the law-of-averages is real and curses are not, a top 10 defense is a reasonable prediction. They have the talent to be top 5, and the history where nobody would be surprised by bottom 5. The thing with these Capers D's has been that once they break, they BREAK.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

The main reason most are picking the seachickens is because they all think our defense will be the same mess we had last year. It is inconceivable to them that our D could get any better. On other forums with fans of all teams only Packer fans give us much of a chance and when we do we're called hopeless homers. I hope we surprise a few people tonight.
    Until about the 5th game, most people make their predictions based on what a team was the previous year. There's always a 4 game burn-in for a team due to many factors -- new players, new plays, injuries, etc.

I like the spot the Packers are in right now... they're the dangerous underdogs, always mentioned as "in the conversation" but not the big sexy pick. The popular choices this year seem to be Philly and New Orleans so far.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    That's kind of the way I see it too...

A victory for us would be keeping the score from getting out of hand, and getting out of the game healthy.

We have 15 more games after this one to try and build up toward the playoffs... my hope is that the players will mature and gel over the course of the season, so that come playoff time we will be a legitimate contender.

On a selfish note - I need Harvin to go off... I benched Nelson and put Harvin in my starting lineup in one of my money leagues
    Shit.

I have to play Harvin, too.

Pack 24 Sea dipshits 21 on last second Crosby goal kick.

I'm rootin' for my money fantasy team to lose.

Man, I'm getting nervous already.

Cookin Brats for the sausagly challenged in my neighborhood.

Never forget

A short, but good article about the game 2 years ago, especially the atrocious first half. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...oss-in-seattle

By the way, someone who picked the Packers to win tonight should probably start the Game Day Thread.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Lots of talk on the waves that the Center Position will be the Packers downfall tonight. I'm not buying it.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Lots of talk on the waves that the Center Position will be the Packers downfall tonight. I'm not buying it.
    And literally not a word of concern about their rookie RT. I hope Clay and Peppers has that kid's head spinning by halftime.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    A short, but good article about the game 2 years ago, especially the atrocious first half. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...oss-in-seattle

By the way, someone who picked the Packers to win tonight should probably start the Game Day Thread.
    Isn't this also the Game Day Thread? Or does there have to be an official separate one?
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Isn't this also the Game Day Thread? Or does there have to be an official separate one?
    There needs to be a separate one.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    There needs to be a separate one.
    Never started one before, but will be happy to do so, unless someone else is supposed to do it.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Even most Packer fans have a selective memory about our defenses. In 2011 the defense was a turnover machine, gave up a million yards but still wasn't a bottom 10 in points despite an elite offense forcing teams into desperate passing situations all season. 2012 we were actually the 11th best defense in spite of injuries which is overshadowed by the spanking they took in the 49ers game. Even last year the defense started out excellent which just gave them further to fall once the wheels came off.

If the law-of-averages is real and curses are not, a top 10 defense is a reasonable prediction. They have the talent to be top 5, and the history where nobody would be surprised by bottom 5. The thing with these Capers D's has been that once they break, they BREAK.
    Talent to be top 5? They have the worst (or at least most unproven) DL in the NFL. They have the worst pair of ILBs in the league. Boy, I don't know about that one... There safety position is very unsettled. At DB I agree they have a top 5 staff.

I would rate the position groups like this:

DL - Bottom 5
    ILB - Bottom 5
    OLB - Top 5
    CB - Top 5
    S - 15-20

I don't see a top 10 D there unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Never started one before, but will be happy to do so, unless someone else is supposed to do it.
    Go for it! Just don't forget to use the word official.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Talent to be top 5? They have the worst (or at least most unproven) DL in the NFL. They have the worst pair of ILBs in the league. Boy, I don't know about that one... There safety position is very unsettled. At DB I agree they have a top 5 staff.

I would rate the position groups like this:

DL - Bottom 5
    ILB - Bottom 5
    OLB - Top 5
    CB - Top 5
    S - 15-20

I don't see a top 10 D there unfortunately.
    I see a team built to stop the pass exceptionally well combined with an offense that's going to demand shootouts to beat. That should make them better than the sum of their parts. Look at New Orleans last year, they sucked against the run but were still a top 4 defense following the same recipe.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I see a team built to stop the pass exceptionally well combined with an offense that's going to demand shootouts to beat. That should make them better than the sum of their parts. Look at New Orleans last year, they sucked against the run but were still a top 4 defense following the same recipe.
    Exactly

Run D is a huge unknown at this point but I think we have a nice stable of pass rushers and secondary talent.

Regarding the official game thread, do preseason wins carry over to the regular season? If so, shouldn't the topic starter of the KC game start the thread?
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Regarding the official game thread, do preseason wins carry over to the regular season? If so, shouldn't the topic starter of the KC game start the thread?
    I believe the preseason carries over, but I'm not 100%. Mad started the KC game thread and I have made a separate thread calling him out. Will he see it in time? Will we buck protocol to get it started so Cap'n can get his post in? Anyone have Mad's phone number?

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    I believe the preseason carries over, but I'm not 100%. Mad started the KC game thread and I have made a separate thread calling him out. Will he see it in time? Will we buck protocol to get it started so Cap'n can get his post in? Anyone have Mad's phone number?
    We do have a dilemma though. Red Started the St. Louis and Oakland game threads and Packers won. Mad started the KC game thread and Packers won. We're already out of whack, so I don't think it'll matter who starts this one.

I've not started one ever and that string has been going pretty well for me. Someone should step in and take the initiative.

And literally not a word of concern about their rookie RT. I hope Clay and Peppers has that kid's head spinning by halftime.
    I'd imagine that Pete Carroll is smart enough to give the guy some help... whereas MM will just throw a guy to the wolves without consideration for the fact that the guy might be overmatched (Newhouse comes to mind).

My guess is you'll see the TE lined up over there most of the time, and a lot of chipping by the TE and RB.
    wist

Seattle cops will be in the stands dressed as Packer fans... they're pretty obvious though

wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I'd imagine that Pete Carroll is smart enough to give the guy some help... whereas MM will just throw a guy to the wolves without consideration for the fact that the guy might be overmatched (Newhouse comes to mind).

My guess is you'll see the TE lined up over there most of the time, and a lot of chipping by the TE and RB.

Just a reminder, Wist, that life is good.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack