Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread: Off-season 2023 Banjo

I'd really like to see the Packers sign John Johnson at safety and I wouldn't hate a vet WR

Mims has talent, but no production. 11 receptions last year. 42 rec for his 3 year career. Move along.

I'd rather give the snaps to Dontayvion Wicks than Mims, I'm better Gute would too.
    GB is going to roll with the youngsters this year and make decisions/take action in early 2024.

They don't really have much cap space to kick tires on guys and keep enough cap space for emergency signings.

Quote Originally Posted by jklowan View Post
    I'd really like to see the Packers sign John Johnson at safety and I wouldn't hate a vet WR
    I was a 'sign John Johnson' guy too, he was good in the Staley/Fangio defense for the LAR. I believe he's still unsigned, so he's either holding out for money or has some kind of medical scaring off teams.
    At this point I'm skeptical they will bring in another safety or WR, they are full up with bodies at both positions and I think will let the competition next week in camp sort out the roster.

You have to think a few players will emerge out of Savage, Ford, Owens, Moore, Johnson at S and Watson, Doubs, Toure, Reed, Wicks, Dubose, Heath etc. at WR.

Mims, if released, will go on waivers.

Edit: Jets are trading Mims to the Lions.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 07-19-2023 at 10:04 PM.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Mims had a lot of traits and talent at Baylor and was our #1 WR as a starter. He got a hamstring injury as a rookie (like Christian Watson) and was in Coach Saleh's doghouse for a while. Some guys have all the playmaking chops in college and just don't grow up or pick up the nuances in the pros. He also got into some press spats about his role on the Jets, which is par for the course with the NY sports media.

I hope he does all right. He's not young enough to be a rookie; not old or experienced enough to be a veteran, and not worth his draft slot so far. I hope he hasn't become complacent after watching other talent get on the gameday 52 over him. Maybe a second team and a good coaching relationship will get him to put up some keeper numbers.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Lions give up a R6, get back a R7 if Mims makes the 53, else they give up nothing. Not bad.

I was watching some highlights of the infamous Cowboys game when Rodgers came in.

Is it just me, or are football players way smaller now? Even Rodgers looks a lot smaller. Is it just the size of the pads that shrunk, or did the players themselves shrink?

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I was watching some highlights of the infamous Cowboys game when Rodgers came in.

Is it just me, or are football players way smaller now? Even Rodgers looks a lot smaller. Is it just the size of the pads that shrunk, or did the players themselves shrink?
    Pads have gotten smaller. But I also think IDL and LB's have gotten smaller. IDL's because they need enough quickness to rush the passer, LB's because they need enough quickness for pass coverage.

Vikings drafted a really fast player in the first round:
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Vikings drafted a really fast player in the first round:
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial
    I see in the article that Addison also missed the majority of their pre-training camp activities because he was "dealing with an injury." Not an auspicious start for your first-round pick. As a Packers fan, ya gotta love it.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Pads have gotten smaller. But I also think IDL and LB's have gotten smaller. IDL's because they need enough quickness to rush the passer, LB's because they need enough quickness for pass coverage.
    I think the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys popularized the concept of "take a linebacker. make him a fast DL. Take a safety; make him a fast linebacker." A little after that era, there was a trend to "take a slow TE; make him a left tackle." On the other hand, I think WRs have become beefier and height gets recruited more in college than it used to be.

I rewatched the '98 Baylor/ND game recently, and while I couldn't find myself in any shots, I was amazed that we still had mesh jerseys and Singletary-sized shoulder pads. Everyone looked like little tanks.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I see in the article that Addison also missed the majority of their pre-training camp activities because he was "dealing with an injury." Not an auspicious start for your first-round pick. As a Packers fan, ya gotta love it.
    Not a great way to start out as a rookie; teams hold their breath in July that the news wire stays quiet regarding their players.
    I thought it was funny how people would say Addison is as fast (on a football field) as Lukas Van Ness, only 80 pounds lighter.

Seriously, Addison was a great college receiver, and can run routes, but he's pretty small for a NFL WR. I wonder how he'll handle press coverage or a hard hit over the middle from a safety that outweighs him by 25 pounds.
    If Barry were smart (which he isn't) he could have Jaire press Jefferson and Rasul press Addison and you might see both WRs throwing their helmets in frustration.

I wonder how Addison will handle press coverage when they start asking him about his driving habits.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Isaiah Simmons traded to NYG for a 2024 R7 pick. What is Arizona doing?

Oh, and Denzel Mims got waived.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Not a great way to start out as a rookie; teams hold their breath in July that the news wire stays quiet regarding their players.
    I thought it was funny how people would say Addison is as fast (on a football field) as Lukas Van Ness, only 80 pounds lighter.

Seriously, Addison was a great college receiver, and can run routes, but he's pretty small for a NFL WR. I wonder how he'll handle press coverage or a hard hit over the middle from a safety that outweighs him by 25 pounds.
    If Barry were smart (which he isn't) he could have Jaire press Jefferson and Rasul press Addison and you might see both WRs throwing their helmets in frustration.
    Jefferson would ragdoll Jaire and run free. Douglas might have a shot at pressing him. Jaire has to use his speed. Jefferson is a solid 6-1". No one man can cover him iso. You just have to accept that.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Jefferson would ragdoll Jaire and run free. Douglas might have a shot at pressing him. Jaire has to use his speed. Jefferson is a solid 6-1". No one man can cover him iso. You just have to accept that.
    Generally I'd agree, except Jaire was the one shocking Jefferson with jabs and two handed shoves at the line in their last game. I think Jefferson is bigger but IDK if he's necessary more physical.
    Jefferson is the best WR in the league right now, you have to make the QB look elsewhere to throw...agree that probably means changing up the coverages to keep them guessing and I'm not sure Barry is that clever.

What are the Vikings doing? It's Cousins last year, he has void money on the books in 2024, when Jefferson will be on his fifth-year option trying to cash in big (he will). With that, they give Hockenson elite TE money and you could argue he's barely in the top 10. Detroit was happy to give him away, and he had some injuries so you have to wonder.
    They also gave Danielle Hunter a big pay bump just for this year. Not sure about their supposedly analytics-econ genius GM.

Next year they could have a nobody QB throwing to JJ, it would be like Spurgeon Wynn throwing incompletions to Cris Carter and Randy Moss all over again.

I'm tempted to be really critical because they're a NFCN rival, but I really don't understand their direction.

Do they have a rookie backup QB they like?

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Do they have a rookie backup QB they like?
    I gotta think their plan is to bring Cousins back. They didn't draft a QB last year until the 5th round, and there won't be much in free agency. Cousins and Tannehill are about it.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    What are the Vikings doing? It's Cousins last year, he has void money on the books in 2024, when Jefferson will be on his fifth-year option trying to cash in big (he will). With that, they give Hockenson elite TE money and you could argue he's barely in the top 10. Detroit was happy to give him away, and he had some injuries so you have to wonder.
    They also gave Danielle Hunter a big pay bump just for this year. Not sure about their supposedly analytics-econ genius GM.

Next year they could have a nobody QB throwing to JJ, it would be like Spurgeon Wynn throwing incompletions to Cris Carter and Randy Moss all over again.

I'm tempted to be really critical because they're a NFCN rival, but I really don't understand their direction.
    In their own way, the Vikings still suck just like the Bears. They had one of the top RBs in the league, and they just shitted him away, that after paying big money for mediocre Cousins. Didn't they lose "whatshisface" - that other pretty good WR too?

The Packers are fortunate to be in a division with loser mentalities like that along with perennial losers like the Lions and of course that team that still sucks.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?