Thread: Shazier

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Is $200,000 what practice squad guys get? That's a LOT for regular people, a damn lot, and upward steeply from there. True, it's not enough to get messed up for life, but figuring in the very small likelihood of anything serious enough to do that, it's easily a risk worth taking - and if somebody thinks it's not, I say again, he can quit and get a real job - a lot less fun in virtually all cases, and a tiny fraction of the money.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Is $200,000 what practice squad guys get? That's a LOT for regular people, a damn lot, and upward steeply from there. True, it's not enough to get messed up for life, but figuring in the very small likelihood of anything serious enough to do that, it's easily a risk worth taking - and if somebody thinks it's not, I say again, he can quit and get a real job - a lot less fun in virtually all cases, and a tiny fraction of the money.
    If you have a contract in the offseason, you can approach $200,000 for the years before veteran minimums kick in. But PS players get $7,200 per week. I don't know what undrafted rookies get in the offseason though. Problem with being young and injured though is that your odds of getting cut and not reaching the minimum are much higher.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    If you have a contract in the offseason, you can approach $200,000 for the years before veteran minimums kick in. But PS players get $7,200 per week. I don't know what undrafted rookies get in the offseason though. Problem with being young and injured though is that your odds of getting cut and not reaching the minimum are much higher.
    i think that is for the week, just during the season. i don't think they get paid during the offseason

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i think that is for the week, just during the season. i don't think they get paid during the offseason
    I think it varies. Some PS guys do sign as UDFAs and get bonuses plus the minimum contract. Some are FAs signed near or in camp.

Each has the minimum contract, but I am not sure what the schedule of payments is. So Rand might be right about the absolute minimum being 200K, but if payments are made August through January/February, then you won't see a dime beyond that $5,000 signing bonus until camp.

You get hurt and that is 5 months on $5,000 plus one weekly check.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I think it varies. Some PS guys do sign as UDFAs and get bonuses plus the minimum contract. Some are FAs signed near or in camp.

Each has the minimum contract, but I am not sure what the schedule of payments is. So Rand might be right about the absolute minimum being 200K, but if payments are made August through January/February, then you won't see a dime beyond that $5,000 signing bonus until camp.

You get hurt and that is 5 months on $5,000 plus one weekly check.
    no, he's not right

PS players get at minimum 7,200 dollars per week, for 17 weeks, and only 17 weeks. so the average PS players makes 122,400 a year. nfl players get paid 17 weeks out of the year, not weekly like everyone else. however players do get a little cash during training camp and preseason, which is about $1,000 a week for first year players and less then $2,000 a week for vets

if an undrafted free agent signs a 300,000 deal after the draft, but ends up on the PS, he's only going to make 122,400, NOT 300,000. PS guys are released, and then re signed. if they get called back up to the real roster, then he signs a new contract

no packer PS player was making more then 7,200 a week this year, so no, PS players don't often get paid more then the minimum

and to tex's point, thats still damn good money for most of us
    Last edited by red; 12-08-2017 at 07:02 PM.