Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers 2016 Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    James Jones, I don't know about. He's not a special teams guy, and he's not an ascending player. Assuming Jordy, Cobb, Adams, Monty are all locks, then you have two remaining spots and you'd have to figure Janis and Abby will fill those spots because they can both play special teams. Also, they may draft another WR and bring in a few UDFA's like they did last year, and those guys would be competing for the 5th and 6th WR spots. I don't think Jones will have a place on the roster, more so about roster flexibility and youth/development and not cap concern.
    Pretty much a whole thread on this topic...
    http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...ing*-next-year
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...goes/79417808/

Pete Dougherty picks who stays and who leaves

Stays
    Crosby
    Raji
    Neal
    Starks

Leaves
    Guion
    Perry
    Kuhn
    Hayward
    Jones
    Barclay
    Tolzien
    Quarless
    Goode
    Richardson (retires)
    So I scanned and re-scanned the list, and feel the need to point out a missing name on the Leaves list.
    Mathsay!!!!!

In other news, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kuhn around another year, and I'd also like to see Perry stay.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Edited From:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-playoff-teams

2016 NFL DRAFT and Green Bay Packer Needs.... The Packers to pick in the NO. 27 spot this year::

Top need: Pass rusher

Other needs: TE, DT, OT and ILB

Top prospects at positional needs:

Note: In brackets You'll find the number where an NFL Draft Site Ranks that player. For this post the site I've chosen is DRAFTTEK and as of Friday 29 Jan. 2016.:

http://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-...pects-2016.asp

Pass rusher: ( 8 ) DeForest Buckner (Oregon), ( 2) Joey Bosa (Ohio State), ( 41) Leonard Floyd (Georgia);

TE: ( 75 ) Hunter Henry (Arkansas), (104) Nick Vannett (Ohio State), (95) Austin Hooper (Stanford);

DT: (37) Andrew Billings (Baylor), (17) A'Shawn Robinson (Alabama), (91) Jarran Reed (Alabama);

OT: (14) Laremy Tunsil (Ole Miss), (2) Ronnie Stanley (Notre Dame), (36 ) Jack Conklin (Michigan State);

ILB: (23 ) Reggie Ragland (Alabama), (27) Scooby Wright III (Arizona), (169)Antonio Morrison (Florida).

Analysis:

Green Bay has tried to play Clay Matthews all over the field, but he's only one man and another one like him is needed whether it is at inside or outside linebacker.

The Packers appear to be set along the offensive line, but will need to find a swing tackle who can play on the left or right side.

B.J. Raji might not be re-signed, so adding a defensive tackle with mass is likely.

The Packers are always looking for a quality combo tight end and this year should be no different.

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !!

so ILB, R/LT, DT, TE. got it.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I think they'll only keep Neal and Guion. Something tells me Raji will get a fat offer from someone like the Bears and Guion is kind of a knucklehead and won't get as much interest. I still think TT goes DL early in the draft though....he likes younger players, and Raji has an injury history.
    Can Pennel play NT? They don't play many snaps of base 3-4; with Daniels, Boyd, Ringo, possibly Datone they have bodies.

I think they go with Neal over Perry, based on injury history and production. Neal played a lot of OLB snaps this year, plus has played DL in passing downs. I like Perry, but when has he ever been healthy? I think he'd be happy to stay in GB and play OLB, but I could easily see him playing DE in a 4-3. The guess here is they platoon Neal, CMIII, Elliott, Datone, and a draft pick or Mulumba, and Peppers at OLB. If Peppers retires, then things obviously change. Glad to hear they are committed to putting CMIII back at OLB. He's better there. To me that means they will draft a ILB, and the draft crop looks decent this year.

Crosby is a priority.

I didn't think Masthay's contract was up?

Starks is a good backup; I think they'll make him a modest offer. He's 29 but has low miles, relatively speaking. They need a safety net in case Lacy shows up as big as Raji. They will definitely bring in some new RB's into camp, I don't know if they'll be UDFA's or a draft pick. I like that Kenneth Dixon kid -- shifty and good receiving skills.

I think they sign Kuhn to a vet minimum contract. If Ripkowski was ready, I'd think he would've taken some snaps in the offense.

Hayward will get money elsewhere. Good for him. He's a good player, but I doubt they would invest a ton of additional money in the secondary with Burnett and Shields on significant contracts, and with how the rookies played. Maybe they draft a guy who can play in the slot.

The rest are meh to me. The sub shop guy probably took Brett Goode's job.

Did Neal really play much better than Perry? I'm not sure that's why I'm asking...

Perry had more impact than Neal but Perry was banged up again with a shoulder and a leg.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I think Perry made more splash plays, but Neal consistently got pressure and played overall, I thought, better.

One thing I'm curious about: Are the Packers going to make Datone Jones into a Mike Neal-type? That is, play OLB for two downs and then put him inside on passing downs? And if so, is he quick enough to chase down running backs?

IF he has the potential to be a full-time OLB/inside pass rush guy, then that relieves the need for taking an OLB higher in the draft, especially if you re-sign Neal or Perry.

Wonder what the plans for Datone are...
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Wonder what the plans for Datone are...
    I don't recall them ever dropping him in coverage, so I can't imagine that his role would expand beyond an OLB with pass rush and run defense responsibilities, just like Perry, except with the ability to play in his end position or in the 2-4 with Neal or someone else. Neal is more versatile than Perry, but not as stout against the run. If the decision is between keeping Neal or Perry, that's a tough one. I'd be more inclined to keep Perry just because he's better versus the run.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...goes/79417808/

Pete Dougherty picks who stays and who leaves

Stays
    Crosby
    Raji
    Neal
    Starks

Leaves
    Guion
    Perry
    Kuhn
    Hayward
    Jones
    Barclay
    Tolzien
    Quarless
    Goode
    Richardson (retires)
    Raji ove Guion.....REALLY ! A Finger down my throat reactiom !!!

I like Kuhn.

I like what I saw late and Nick Perry but I think very likely that he's gone. Was Nick Perry ever comfortable and playing in Green Bay?

Two 1st Rounders - Count them....one and two. Perry and then Datone JonesWOW ! **Way to pick em' TT !

** Somewhere way down that hall I hear .....an almost silent echo:

"We trust you Ted".

I'm wondering, where they still sell Animal Crackers.

1st Guy: He's just terrific in his obvious ability to pock from the talent pool of NFL prospects

2nd Guy: Who's that your referring to?

1st Guy: What NFL team do you support?

2nd Guy: Well....I'm, (pause) I'm (pause) I'm a....I'm a a a a Green Bay Packer fan.

1st Guy: Then....if that's the case...... there's no need of you to know who that great NFL GM is.

2nd Guy;
    Uhh...why?

1st Guy:
    OK a HINT... In TWO words Packer fan....... 'A WASTE'.

Likely Hayward is gone........ $$$$
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-30-2016 at 11:33 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I like what I saw late and Nick Perry but I think very likely that he's gone. Was Nick Perry ever comfortable and playing in Green Bay?

Two 1st Rounders ....Count em....one and two......Perry and then Datone Jones... WOW ! **Way to pick em' TT !

** Somewhere way .....down........ that hall............. I hear .......an almost silent echo:

"We ...........trust.................... you............................................... ....... Ted".
    I'm wondering ...........................where they still sell...................................... Animal Crackers.
    This isn't an argument, or standard english for that matter. It would be nice if you could make a cohesive statement at some point, instead of displaying these whining tantrums too juvenile even for a typical five year old.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    This isn't an argument, or standard english for that matter. It would be nice if you could make a cohesive statement at some point, instead of displaying these whining tantrums too juvenile even for a typical five year old.
    Here's 2 bits...would you hire on as editor?

No ! Your not worth that much !
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Here's 2 bits...would you hire on as editor?

No ! Your not worth that much !
    Was this supposed to be a rebuttal? Try again.

Was this supposed to be a rebuttal? Try again.
    I edited my post and.........as per your style of criticism and general attitude and demeanour here ....your abusive.

I edited my post and.........as per your style of criticism and general attitude and demeanour here ....you're abusive.
    FIFY or you could use "you are"

Raji ove Guion.....REALLY ! A Finger down my throat reactiom !!!

I like Kuhn.

Two 1st Rounders - Count them....one and two. Perry and then Datone JonesWOW ! **Way to pick em' TT !

** Somewhere way down that hall I hear .....an almost silent echo:

"We trust you Ted".

I'm wondering, where they still sell Animal Crackers.
    This is 'edited?' So what? There's still no argument or point here.

This is 'edited?' So what? There's still no argument or point here.
    Ohh .....

As long as Peppers isn't back, the offseason will be a success. Not quite as big of a success as last year when they got rid of Brad Jones, but almost.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    As long as Peppers isn't back, the offseason will be a success. Not quite as big of a success as last year when they got rid of Brad Jones, but almost.
    That doesn't make sense to me. I thought Peppers was down a bit this year, and will be next, but he did have 10 sacks and play the run. If he could be retained and play 1/3 of the snaps and still get his 10 sacks next year, wouldn't that be a positive? For the record, I don't think that will happen, but it could.

That doesn't make sense to me. I thought Peppers was down a bit this year, and will be next, but he did have 10 sacks and play the run. If he could be retained and play 1/3 of the snaps and still get his 10 sacks next year, wouldn't that be a positive? For the record, I don't think that will happen, but it could.
    So if he is in for less plays does he still take the same amount of plays off? If so he will have 5.6789 productive plays all season.

A lot of writers thought Raji was having a better season than Guion. The only contrary point I have seen is that Guion might have been a bit more effective versus the run while on the field. But he gave up a lot of snaps to Pennell especially early in the season.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.