Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Head Coach Exit Watch - Five NFL head coaches who will be fired. Really?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-for-the-jets/

Tannenbaum hire in Miami creates awkward situation for the Jets

Posted by Mike Florio on January 6, 2015, 5:50 PM EST

The Miami Dolphins have announced that Mike Tannenbaum will become their executive V.P. of football operations.

Mike Tannenbaum presently represents the Seattle Seahawks DC Dan Quinn, with whom the Jets reportedly are smitten as their possible next HC. What if the Jets decide to hire Dan Quinn?

Read the rest of this story in the LINK above.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Mike Sherman led the Packers to five consecutive winning seasons 2000-2004.

Mike Sherman's chief achievement was as Green Bay Packer GM and HC from 2001-2004. The Green Bay Packers captured 3 NFC Division titles and had an impressive combined regular Season Record of 44-20. That period included 3 consecutive NFCN Titles (2002-04); a 2nd place finish (2001) in the NFC Central Division.

In 2005 as HC with the Packers (Mike Sherman's last season) and after Green Bay Packer GM Ted Thompson's arrival. The Green Bay Packers had a 4-12 record.
    What about 2000?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    What about 2000?
    In the 2000 Season the Green Bay Packers with Mike Sherman as HC had a 9-7 record were third in the NFC Central Division and failed to make the playoffs. The Packer GM at that time was Ron Wolf.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-with-browns/

Report: Kyle Shanahan may leave Cleveland over friction with Browns

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 6, 2015, 6:55 PM EST

Think how bad you have to be to get fired from your GM job after your coach just made the playoffs four times in a row.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Think how bad you have to be to get fired from your GM job after your coach just made the playoffs four times in a row.
    Not bad. Sometimes decision makers make stupid decisions. Jerry Jones fired Jimmy Johnson after 2 consecutive SB wins, for fuck's sake.

Sherman, as GM-Coach, managed the Packers the Belichick Way. Efficient cap management. Aggressive in free agency. Trade for bona-fida playas. Make wise use of the draft but don't put all the eggs in the draft.

Thompson prefers to put all his eggs in the draft, and "build a dynasty via the draft." In other words, an excuse for "I suck at luring elite free agents to GB, can't pull off trades, so fuck them, Ima use the draft as an excuse for my incompetence." I mean, Wolf lured Reggie White to Green Bay when Green Bay was still the Siberia of the NFL, for fuck's sake.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    KY - leave it alone!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Not bad. Sometimes decision makers make stupid decisions. Jerry Jones fired Jimmy Johnson after 2 consecutive SB wins, for fuck's sake.

Sherman, as GM-Coach, managed the Packers the Belichick Way. Efficient cap management. Aggressive in free agency. Trade for bona-fida playas. Make wise use of the draft but don't put all the eggs in the draft.

Thompson prefers to put all his eggs in the draft, and "build a dynasty via the draft." In other words, an excuse for "I suck at luring elite free agents to GB, can't pull off trades, so fuck them, Ima use the draft as an excuse for my incompetence." I mean, Wolf lured Reggie White to Green Bay when Green Bay was still the Siberia of the NFL, for fuck's sake.
    Your convicted and that takes integrity.

Integrity must travel with a First Aid Kit handy.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar

Sherman was just like Belichick, except for that pesky salary cap issue when GB couldn't keep the team together after the 2004 season, the horrible drafts, and that NE actually won SBs whereas Sherman didn't even get to the dance the two were just alike
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Your convicted and that takes integrity.

Integrity must travel with a First Aid Kit handy.
    lol

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Sherman was just like Belichick, except for that pesky salary cap issue when GB couldn't keep the team together after the 2004 season, the horrible drafts, and that NE actually won SBs whereas Sherman didn't even get to the dance the two were just alike
    First of all, the Cap wasn't in "great" shape when Wolf turned the throne over to Sherman. Remember, it was that Wolf of Lombardi Ave who handed out large contracts to Freeman and Levens, among others.

2ndly, alotta Wolf's core players' contracts were expiring. Sherman efficiently managed to cap to retain them.

Sherman wasn't stupid. He knew the cap was gonna be inflated once the NFL and the Networks struck a new deal. Therefore, Sherman was NOT "mortgaging" the future when he cleared up some short-term spaces to sign the likes of Joe Johnson. Sure, Johnson turned out to be a so-called "bust," but the Packers needed a DE at that time and Johnson was the best DE available in free agency.

When he has a need, you don't see Billechick hibernating in a closet and waiting for the draft.

Btw, Sherman's drafts produced the likes of J-Walk, Kampman, Corey Williams, Barnett, etc. His drafts were far from "horrible."

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    When he has a needs, you don't see Billechick hibernating in a closet and waiting for the draft.
    Ted was trapped in the closet. You should at least stay true to your own idiom.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Ted was trapped in the closet. You should at least stay true to your own idiom.
    He's still trapped in the closet. lol

Thompson is a significantly better GM than Sherman, when you look at the big picture. The best free agent acquisitions we've had in the past 10-15 years have been Woodson and Pickett. Were those a result of Thompson or Sherman?

Third best might be Peppers, too.

Rat Starter
    Come to think of it, if the Bears seriously want to dethrone the Packers as Kings of the North, they oughtta hire Sherman as their next GM-Coach.

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Thompson is a significantly better GM than Sherman, when you look at the big picture. The best free agent acquisitions we've had in the past 10-15 years have been Woodson and Pickett. Were those a result of Thompson or Sherman?

Third best might be Peppers, too.
    None of those guys were considered elite free agents. Wood, everybody thought he was washed up. Pickett, fat and married to a hot chick, was easy to lure b/c he didn't need the night life of the big cities. Pepper, past his prime.

The facts favor Belichick in the Belichick Way vs Thompson Way argument. Sherman ran the Packers the Belichick way. If given more time, I seriously believe Sherman woulda won more than a "fluke" SB with the Packers.

The reasons why you're wrong:

1. Sherman is not Belichick.
    2. Green Bay is not Boston.

Even if we have the salary cap space to do something, we still have to posses the actual liquid capital to do the mega-deals that you are proposing. Speaking of those deals, only Revis, a one-year rental, really qualifies.

Robert Kraft has outside revenue sources to dip into if he needs to back up a cash-laden truck somewhere. Green Bay has one trust account, and it has to remain stocked feasibly for a rainy day, else Green Bay either fall behind in the non-salary aspects of football, or worse.

Thompson's model is sustainable. What you are suggesting, which from what I gather is to fire Thompson and hire a GM who will take more risks with trades and free-agency, will not work because it will damage our team in the area of it's biggest strength - cheap young players. Thompson, while not perfect on draft day - far from it, really - keeps the team deep enough to sustain injuries and remain respectable. Ask Thomas Dimitroff about that depth thing sometime. I think he won two or three GM of the Year awards, and -SHOCKER- he is a much worse GM than Ted Thompson.

Unless Belichik 2.0 shows up at our door asking for a job, I'd suggest we stick with what's working.
    Last edited by smuggler; 01-06-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Sherman did generally manage in a Belichick way, if you're frame of comparison is BB in NE from 2005 until 2013.

2013 NFL New England Patriots* Lost Conf
    2012 NFL New England Patriots* Lost Conf
    2011 NFL New England Patriots* Lost SB
    2010 NFL New England Patriots* Lost Div
    2009 NFL New England Patriots* Lost WC
    2008 NFL New England Patriots Did Not Qualify
    2007 NFL New England Patriots* Lost SB
    2006 NFL New England Patriots* Lost Conf
    2005 NFL New England Patriots* Lost Div
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-06-2015 at 09:19 PM.

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    The reasons why you're wrong:

1. Sherman is not Belichick.
    2. Green Bay is not Boston.

Even if we have the salary cap space to do something, we still have to posses the actual liquid capital to do the mega-deals that you are proposing. Speaking of those deals, only Revis, a one-year rental really qualifies.
    And Green Bay is not SF. That didn't prevent the Packers of the 90's from copying the 49ers strategy for success.

With revenue sharing, Thompson has all the resources he needs to be a player in free agency and trades. Thompson simply lacks the kung-fu of Belichick. In short, incompetent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    KY - leave it alone!
    Hey Rand!

Blow me.

Enjoy his "funny funny" horseshit trolls while ya can.

Man, they are hilarious.

He's your buddy, remember?