Page 486 of 563 FirstFirst ... 386 436 476 484 485 486 487 488 496 536 ... LastLast
Results 9,701 to 9,720 of 11257

Thread: OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    But wasn't it M3 who said he'd have to compete for the job if he wanted to come back?
    Yes ..... that was my take.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    "... it was M3 who Favre had those marathon talks with that August, not TT. " Pugger

Pugger...can you support that with proof?

ie Please ... Simply post media published references to real events where there was ongong discussion between Mike McCarthy and Brett Favre in August.

Thanks.

PACKERS !
    Woodbuck;

When Favre came to GB in early August, he spent a good part of one day with McCarthy at MM's office. McCarthy even cancelled a team meeting later in the day to continue his discussions with Favre. That was reported extensively in the media at the time. McCarthy later said they broke for a few minutes a couple times, but then resumed. He described it as a 1 on 1 between coach and player during which they each aired all of their concerns and issues. Later in the evening, TT and Murphy met with Favre at his house. I think Favre left GB the next day (and I don't think has been back since).

Woodbuck;

I was mistaken about one thing. Favre's meeting with MM extended over two days.

Here is an article about MM's thinking before the meetings:
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...terstitialskip

and a timeline from the GBPG:

Sunday: Favre flies to Green Bay at the same time the Packers are having their Family Night scrimmage. He’s greeted at the airport by cheering fans.

Monday: NFL commissioner Roger Goodell reinstates Favre, and the Packers add him to the 80-man roster. McCarthy is scheduled to meet with Favre, then address the team, then address the media. However, his meeting with Favre extends to roughly 4 hours — Thompson also meets with Favre — and the team meeting and media conference are canceled. Goodell also rules the Vikings didn't tamper with Favre.

Tuesday: Favre and McCarthy meet again at Lambeau Field. Then, Favre, Thompson, Murphy and others meet at Favre’s home in Ashwaubenon. McCarthy indicates Favre’s mindset isn’t right for him to rejoin the team, but says he plans to speak to Favre again in the evening.

Low Profile Rat Starter
    Wow Patler, there you go spouting facts over emotion again. How shameless of you. I really thought you were above that.

Thanks for bringing the proof for me Patler. I thought I remembered their continued talks correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I just get the feeling we are headed for a Bradshaw/Steelers situation here. Where the specifics no longer matter as much as the continued animosity.

Bradshaw was mightily pissed at Chuck Noll, but even after Noll was gone he found others to be mad at. Perhaps in Favre's case, with no owner's family at the top it will be different, but it just seems like Favre is more interested in waiting this out than solving it at the current time.
    pbmax:

Please don't make this simple matter of when will the Favre HOF Ceremony get done. Into something far more soap boxey or intrinsically ugly. There's been far too much of that and the subsequent 'tit for tat' ramble here at Packerrats, and all over Packer Nation ... already. It's time to move positively forward. Get the bad karma behind us and the Green Bay Packers.

It's time for us to grow...grow up as Packer fans.

In light of your comments above and bringing up bad feelings and Terry Bradshaw against the Pittsburg Steelers Organization 'at the top'. That and the fact that Terry Bradshaw is so very high on Brett Favre in terms of Favre's greatness, came to mind. Terry Bradshaw gets full marks from me in that analysis.

Is Packerrats going to be a leader, or a ho hum follower/acceptor of whatever and Brett Favre. We've a chance here at Packerrats to demonstrate 'distinction', in terms of Green Bay Packer fan awareness.

As it's going now, Al Harris might get his 'special day' before Brett Favre.

Packer CEO Mark Murphy certainly compliments Brett Favre. To be inducted into the Packers HOF is a true honor indeed and that moreso means that Brett Favre has to be installed there PRONTO.

It seems to me that the likes of Aaron Rodgers and Packer CEO Mark Murphy see it my way. Not to heap too much praise on anyone seeing what's a dead on 'no brainer'.

Again....back to this significant statement by Packer CEO Mark Murphy on Brett Favre and the Packer HOF:

" It’s a pretty significant honor and he (Brett Favre) deserves it. He (Brett Favre) was one of the greatest players, if not the greatest player, in the history of the organization.” Green Bay Packers CEO Mark Murphy

Can we get focused as Packer fans on that specific fact of Favre and certainly deserving, and being one of if not the greatest Green Bay Packers. Now and 'finally retired' and 'now and finally being inducted into the Green Bay Packer Hall Of Fame'?

Can't we leave any hurt feelings and/or embarrassments to the principles. Bless their souls. Act above that as Packer fans? In actual TRUTH we the fans don't really know what transpired and I don't believe this matter is deserving of 'a TRIAL' or otherwise formal hearing.

When I made my initial post yesterday. The intent of that was to take the matter of 'any animosty' out of the picture.

In my view what was said in any meetings between Favre and Mike McCarthy going back to anytime in 2008 and before Brett Favre was dealt to the New York Jets is ancient history. It doesn't matter in respect to the importance 'NOW' of Packers CEO Mark Murphy et all; simply getting down to the brass tacks of 'THE CEREMONY'. A part of which will be retiring Brett Favre's number '4' and indicting Brett Favre into the Green Bay Packers Hall Of Fame.

End of story.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 05-15-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    We all know he'll be in the Packer HOF and have his number retired, it's just a matter of when.

My guess is that it will happen during the 2014 season. Enough time will have passed that the parties involved (and the fans) will just get over it, along with some small overtures both publicly and privately by both sides and this will all get put behind us.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    We all know he'll be in the Packer HOF and have his number retired, it's just a matter of when.

My guess is that it will happen during the 2014 season. Enough time will have passed that the parties involved (and the fans) will just get over it, along with some small overtures both publicly and privately by both sides and this will all get put behind us.
    I hope your correct Packer fan.

http://www.packersnews.com/article/2...yssey=obinsite

Packers President and CEO (Mark) Murphy: I could see (Brett) Favre taking part in Tailgate Tour

May 14, 2013

Please click Link for this story.

GO PACK GO !

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Woodbuck;

When Favre came to GB in early August, he spent a good part of one day with McCarthy at MM's office. McCarthy even cancelled a team meeting later in the day to continue his discussions with Favre. That was reported extensively in the media at the time. McCarthy later said they broke for a few minutes a couple times, but then resumed. He described it as a 1 on 1 between coach and player during which they each aired all of their concerns and issues. Later in the evening, TT and Murphy met with Favre at his house. I think Favre left GB the next day (and I don't think has been back since).
    As I'm reviewing it again now (and that rather reluctantly as I feel we must move way past that 'old news') I'm stoping right here for this day:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...e-update_N.htm

Packers make no promises as Favre lands back in Green Bay

Updated 8/4/2008 @ 3:21 PM ... Monday 4 Aug. 2008

" Until this potential end to the bitter stalemate, Favre had been pressing the Packers to allow him to compete for his old job or release him, while Thompson did all he could to convince Favre to remain retired because the Packers had committed to Rodgers as their quarterback.

Favre forced the issue by getting on a plane late Sunday afternoon with his wife, Deanna, and agent, Bus Cook, to travel to Green Bay to report for training camp. They landed in Green Bay shortly after 8 p.m. ET after a 2-hour, 18-minute flight from Hattiesburg.

Though Favre faxed his petition for reinstatement from the reserve/retired list last Monday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell didn't act on it all week because Favre and the Packers were negotiating a personal-services contract worth up to about $25 million over 10 years. But that deal would have included the expectation Favre stay retired, and after considering accepting the offer, Favre determined over the weekend he still wants to play.

Goodell reinstated Favre on Sunday and gave the Packers until 1 p.m. ET Monday to put him on their roster, release him or trade him.

"(Favre) wanted to play more than anything," the Favre insider said. "He couldn't do that deal. He'd been working this long to come back, and that was his goal."

In recent weeks, Thompson and McCarthy told Favre repeatedly he'd come in as a backup and wouldn't be allowed to compete for the starting job because the Packers had taken major steps over the offseason to move on to Rodgers as their new quarterback.

But after Favre rejected the personal-services offer and flew to Green Bay, Thompson and McCarthy reconsidered — even though Murphy's statement said Favre had put club officials "in a very difficult spot."

Assuming there are no changes after Favre meets with McCarthy on Monday, the Packers will spend much of the next few weeks evaluating Favre and Rodgers in their battle for the starting job.

The imbroglio with Favre has been a public-relations nightmare for the Packers, especially after Favre revealed about a week ago that Thompson and McCarthy rebuffed his request to compete for his old job.

So the team recently sought help by hiring former White House spokesman Ari Fleisher as a consultant for the next month, McCarthy confirmed Sunday night. McCarthy brought Fleisher in as a guest speaker for the team last week. "
    Fr. LINK

Comment woodbuck27:

Going over all that 'old news' and reflecting on it all again. Looking at Brett and Deanna Favre's arrival in Green Bay. They sure looked good and happy. Favre sure looked in awesome shape. He looked confident as I'm positive he should have been... being the runner up NFL MVP (2007). Leading his team to the NFC Championship game and losing in O.T. Favre was happy/confident looking. He was going to compete for the Packers starting QB job. No sweat !

All looked very very good for Brett Favre and remaining a Green Bay Packer. He was scheduled for conditioning tests for TC and MM wanted to have a chat.

Nothing appeared too ominous....Ehh!?

Aaron Rodgers got it unofficially that Favre was back and that he had to compete or sit on the pine again. Aaron Rodgers said he was fully prepared to compete and if need be back up Favre but reading between the lines....

and ......Somehow ...... it all blew up in Brett Favre's face.

After the message feeler outer...message carrier drama's...after the bribe....after the mess that was this whole fiasco and embarrassment to Packer Nation....an embarrassment that the TT/MM side were certain major players in.

Does anyone want to fully examine that can of worms that continued after Brett Favre and Deanna arrived in Green Bay (on Sunday evening Aug. 3, 2008) when all Brett Favre really imagined was his report for TC and another season leading the Green Bay Packers?

Do we even have the capascity too, in all TRUTH, examine the end of Brett Favre in Green Bay?

The exact events (happenings) of the next three days after his Sunday evening arrival in Green Bay .... the final hours leading up to the following headline:

Jets set for Brett: Packers legend headed to New York

Thurs. August 7, 2008, 3:46 AM ET

ESPN.com news services

" The Brett Favre era in Green Bay officially came to an end late Wednesday night (Aug. 6, 2008) as the legendary longtime Packers quarterback was traded to the New York Jets..."

PACKERS !

Woodbuck;

What do you think has to happen to put the "Favre thing" to bed so his # can be retired?
    Who has to do what?
    To me it seems to hinge on only one thing, Favre himself saying he is ready to forget the past and do it. If he were to come to GB tomorrow and say that he is ready to have the ceremony, I don't see anyway that Murphy, TT or MM could say, "No, not yet." On the other hand, I don't think they can say or do anything that will make Favre be ready.

Favre had a great opportunity when Holmgren was inducted into the Packer HOF. It was a built in excuse for Favre to show up in GB. Personally, I think he should have come and said that it was important to be there and honor the special time that he and Holmgren lived together in GB.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not sure who is crazier, Woody or Patler for trying to reason with him.

Oh look a SC sighting. Big kudos to Woody for luring him out.

woodbuck, Favre has been invited back and declined. Someone (Harlan? Starr?) tried to get him to comeback for Holmgren's HOF ceremony and he turned them down.

You don't want the matter of the Packer HOF complicated by drama? The Packers and Favre cannot even agree when to retire his jersey (which would happen first if tradition holds I believe).

There already is drama. And from public statements, it seems like Favre who is not committing. Murphy has said it can happen whenever the timing will be right. Favre says "it will happen eventually". Eventually can be a very long time.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

And as for reviewing the events of the Summer of Favre, there are 486 pages of that review in this thread. We don't all need to link to the same stories again.

Let's keep the drama fresh here at The Days of Our PackerRat Lives.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I do think woodbuck should get credit for one thing. I am not sure if we get to the truth here, but I am damn sure we get closer than most media outlets. And as long as we stay smarter than talk radio, we'll be worth tuning in.

Woodbuck;

I was mistaken about one thing. Favre's meeting with MM extended over two days.

Here is an article about MM's thinking before the meetings:
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...terstitialskip

and a timeline from the GBPG:

Sunday: Favre flies to Green Bay at the same time the Packers are having their Family Night scrimmage. He’s greeted at the airport by cheering fans.

Monday: NFL commissioner Roger Goodell reinstates Favre, and the Packers add him to the 80-man roster. McCarthy is scheduled to meet with Favre, then address the team, then address the media. However, his meeting with Favre extends to roughly 4 hours — Thompson also meets with Favre — and the team meeting and media conference are canceled. Goodell also rules the Vikings didn't tamper with Favre.

Tuesday: Favre and McCarthy meet again at Lambeau Field. Then, Favre, Thompson, Murphy and others meet at Favre’s home in Ashwaubenon. McCarthy indicates Favre’s mindset isn’t right for him to rejoin the team, but says he plans to speak to Favre again in the evening.
    Patler I have a file on all of this that covers alot of it and nothing I've read has it down in 'the almost log format' your posting. I'm not contending with your knowledge of it all. Maybe you put it together from newpaper reports. Otherwise you have source information and detail that's fascinating to me.

MM and Favre talks and breaks and resumption of talks..and more breaks and attempts successful or not to talk. That sort of detail. How did you come by such? The same with such talks and players Favre,TT,MM and Mark Murphy. When and where.

Is all that available to any Packer fan not living in the Green Bay Packer vicinity?

I've got something I wouldn't even post here because IMO it damns Ted Thompson as it finally went down or Favre was traded to the NY Jets. If in fact it's supported or THE TRUTH. That wouldn't matter to me as I'd be reluctant to release it anyway. So many here imagine that Ted Thompson is so very perfect.

Who am I to shatter such allusion.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Not sure who is crazier, Woody or Patler for trying to reason with him.

Oh look a SC sighting. Big kudos to Woody for luring him out.
    Mad....If I lured Lucifer out would I get 'the Packerrat bonus kudos?

Woodbuck;

What do you think has to happen to put the "Favre thing" to bed so his # can be retired?
    Who has to do what?
    To me it seems to hinge on only one thing, Favre himself saying he is ready to forget the past and do it. If he were to come to GB tomorrow and say that he is ready to have the ceremony, I don't see anyway that Murphy, TT or MM could say, "No, not yet." On the other hand, I don't think they can say or do anything that will make Favre be ready.

Favre had a great opportunity when Holmgren was inducted into the Packer HOF. It was a built in excuse for Favre to show up in GB. Personally, I think he should have come and said that it was important to be there and honor the special time that he and Holmgren lived together in GB.
    How about something really simple like this:

A simple telephone call following (maybe?) a 'formal letter of introducing the topic (s) of a) Brett Favre's number retirement ceremony. Some short time later (**maybe). Brett Favre's b) induction ceremony into the Green Bay Packers HOF. **If it really must be two ceremonies; as one should cover it all, as we do here in Canada.

The script for that telephone call doesn't even have to be memorized by Mark Murphy in order to close the deal. I can imagine him carrying it off, almost magically:

Mark Murphy: Hello Brett How's life? How's Deanna and the family? I'm calling you to follow up on the letter I sent you last week.

Brett Favre: Hi Mark.Nice to hear from you and Thanks for asking. Deana and all are just great and the rest of the family is fine. How are your loved one's Mark? ..... Nice Mark. What's up Mark!?

Mark Murphy: We all think that it's time to retire your number and I simply called to touch base on that as to when we might get that done Brett? I hope your as excited to get this done as we are Brett.

Brett Favre: That's good news Mark. Deanna and I are looking forward to that getting done. It's too long coming. I miss the fans in Green Bay, Mark. What were you fellas thinking.

The conversation continues and the groundwork layed to retire Brett Favre's number 4 and possibly in one swoop. Also induct Brett Favre into the Green Bay Packer HOF.

GO PACKERS !

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    woodbuck, Favre has been invited back and declined. Someone (Harlan? Starr?) tried to get him to comeback for Holmgren's HOF ceremony and he turned them down.

You don't want the matter of the Packer HOF complicated by drama? The Packers and Favre cannot even agree when to retire his jersey (which would happen first if tradition holds I believe).

There already is drama. And from public statements, it seems like Favre who is not committing. Murphy has said it can happen whenever the timing will be right. Favre says "it will happen eventually". Eventually can be a very long time.
    Do you fulfill every invitation you get?

I don't sometimes because of extenuating circumstances, higher priorities or any other good reason to have to decline.

Are you positive that with Brett Favre missing the Mike Holmgren ceremony that it wasn't just simply something like that pbmax?

PACKERS !