View Poll Results: 3 year extension with new salaries in Top 10 of coaches. What does he need to do to earn it?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make 500

0 0%
  • Beat 500

1 4.00%
  • Winning record, but one and done playoff.

3 12.00%
  • Deep playoff run

18 72.00%
  • Super Bowl

3 12.00%

Thread: What Does McCarthy Have to Do Next Year to Get A Contract Extension?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    MM improved his coaching staff in the offseason
    Sounds like he pushed for this GM over Cappie Guy

I don't get the vibe he's in trouble
    The changes that were made by Murphy, including extending McCarthy and Thompson one year, all seem to be designed to ease the way to sign Rodgers to an extension.

So McCarthy did have that leverage by proxy.

But coaches who are not in a precarious position do not sign one year deals. It could be that Murphy talked them both into this in order to ease the transition to a new GM, so they could attract good candidates with the promise of total authority. McCarthy might believe he is months away from a big extension himself.

But a one year extension is just one year. How many coaches do you remember doing a one year deal after a long tenure and surviving? He is far more likely to be pushed overboard now than before. The only thing he survived was the initial wave this year.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The changes that were made by Murphy, including extending McCarthy and Thompson one year, all seem to be designed to ease the way to sign Rodgers to an extension.

So McCarthy did have that leverage by proxy.

But coaches who are not in a precarious position do not sign one year deals. It could be that Murphy talked them both into this in order to ease the transition to a new GM, so they could attract good candidates with the promise of total authority. McCarthy might believe he is months away from a big extension himself.

But a one year extension is just one year. How many coaches do you remember doing a one year deal after a long tenure and surviving? He is far more likely to be pushed overboard now than before. The only thing he survived was the initial wave this year.
    A one-year extension means "prove it, and prove it now, buddy." Jim Caldwell got a one-year extension last year, with the expectation that he had to get the Lions in the playoffs AND win a game, or at least be super competitive against what would have been perceived as a better team. An 8-8 record thus did not cut it.

So I think Mikey-Mike IS on the hot seat, and in my estimation he should be. His firing of the DC (with which I agree), but especially the cleaning out and re-arranging of his offensive staff, plus his whining for better talent, amounts to throwing everyone else under the bus. So now that Baby Mikey has gotten all he wanted, he better not have another disappointing season. Do they need to get to the NFC Championship game? Depends. If the team's big guns stay relativelty healthy and the team health overall is decent, then yes. But if big names go down and some position group gets decimated, but Mike sneaks them into the playoffs with a 10-6 but gets beat right away, he might be able to keep his gig.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

A short version of that post is this:

Packer fans were plenty mad with playoff appearances and no visit to the Super Bowl in the last 7 years. But it took losing Rodgers and not making the playoffs until the front office was convinced changes had to be made.

If another year of playoff qualification and no advancement happens in 2018, will that be seen as return to normalcy or that the system is still broke?

I think the new FO will want to mark it as not acceptable and will lean toward dumping the coach to complete the house cleaning.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    A short version of that post is this:

Packer fans were plenty mad with playoff appearances and no visit to the Super Bowl in the last 7 years. But it took losing Rodgers and not making the playoffs until the front office was convinced changes had to be made.

If another year of playoff qualification and no advancement happens in 2018, will that be seen as return to normalcy or that the system is still broke?

I think the new FO will want to mark it as not acceptable and will lean toward dumping the coach to complete the house cleaning.
    Or they won't be able to agree on terms if M3 wants a big deal without big production and "mutually" part ways.

I think they are due for another dominant year -- 12-4/13-3 -- and a deep playoff run if Rodgers stays healthy and they can leverage their sudden riches at running back.

The defense will be a major wildcard but that puts more responsibility on M3 to make sure the offense returns to 30 ppg.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Or they won't be able to agree on terms if M3 wants a big deal without big production and "mutually" part ways.

I think they are due for another dominant year -- 12-4/13-3 -- and a deep playoff run if Rodgers stays healthy and they can leverage their sudden riches at running back.

The defense will be a major wildcard but that puts more responsibility on M3 to make sure the offense returns to 30 ppg.
    Entirely possible. If bad retreads can keep getting rehired, then I can't see McCarthy not getting a head coaching job.