Thread: running backs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    Sorry but this is ridiculous. I'm sure coaches adjust their gameplan and strategy based on the health of their players, even when they are cleared to play. Well the smart ones do. But I guess McCarthy is just expected to know who's active and who's not, as opposed to any nuance or detail involving his best players.
    Was there anything Lacy couldn't do? Not from the way he played. He ran as well as he has anytime the last two years. If he was limited in some way, of course the coach would adjust. If not, the you play your regular game.

If the injury was such that playing could be expected to make it worse, that's on the medical staff. Coaches don't, and shouldn't make medical decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Was there anything Lacy couldn't do? Not from the way he played. He ran as well as he has anytime the last two years. If he was limited in some way, of course the coach would adjust. If not, the you play your regular game.

If the injury was such that playing could be expected to make it worse, that's on the medical staff. Coaches don't, and shouldn't make medical decisions.
    +1

He was noticeably limping after the first couple carries. It was a pre-existing injury. Lacy has a history of foot and ankle issues. You continue to act like what happened to Lacy vs Dallas occurred in a vacuum. The staff rolled the dice, had their fingers crossed, held their breath.....and we know the rest. Agree to disagree

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    He was noticeably limping after the first couple carries. It was a pre-existing injury. Lacy has a history of foot and ankle issues. You continue to act like what happened to Lacy vs Dallas occurred in a vacuum. The staff rolled the dice, had their fingers crossed, held their breath.....and we know the rest. Agree to disagree
    I never said it occurred in a vacuum. Probably half the team is nursing an injury of some sort. You can't adjust and compensate for everything. If a RB is cleared to play, the coaches should assume he can be asked to carry the ball, be targeted for passes, and block when required. Lacy wasn't asked to do anything other than that. It's not up to the coach to second guess the medical staff.

Of course they took a chance, just like they did with Cobb, Adams, Bakhtiari and others last year. Just like Rodgers two years ago. Matthews countless times. Lacy other times, too. Lang now. Bulaga many times. Randall this year. Sitton for several years. There was nothing uniquely special about Lacy's situation. In fact, it was almost routine. They had a plan for how to proceed without him.

Of course they took a chance, just like they did with Cobb, Adams, Bakhtiari and others last year.
    Not the same thing. A running back, especially a biggin, trying to play on a bad ankle is a very bad bet.

I think yetisnowman thoroughly demolished you in this argument. But that is only because I thoroughly agreed with him to begin with. We call that confirmation bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Not the same thing. A running back, especially a biggin, trying to play on a bad ankle is a very bad bet.

I think yetisnowman thoroughly demolished you in this argument. But that is only because I thoroughly agreed with him to begin with. We call that confirmation bias.
    So TT and MM are now supposed to make the medical determinations, too? That's ridiculous. What were they supposed to do in your mind, not play Lacy even though he was cleared to play?

You guys are second guessing now based on what happened after the fact.