Thread: Official 2018 Other NFL News

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    ^ you have someone specific in mind you want to drop? Didn't see it or forgot...
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    ^ you have someone specific in mind you want to drop? Didn't see it or forgot...
    No idea. My prognostication skills are normally bad. My draft prognostication skills have proven over time to be unfathomably terrible.

I do not understand what translates from college to the pros at all. All height/weight/speed prospects seem like crapshoots. I make fun of Madison beat writers who still believe Kevin Stemke was wronged by Packer and NFL coaches who couldn't make him a pro punter, but I am at a loss to explain why this happened.

My suspicion is that part of the problem is coaching and then salary. NFL coaches refuse to adjust except in small increments, so college coaches lap them repeatedly with less practice time and that messes up the evaluation process. Like predicting which 23 year old computer engineer will build you a good six cylinder diesel.

QB salaries make a hash out of running your QB, though that has changed very slowly. Rather than build offenses for the QBs available, the NFL prefers to change its rules to make it possible to survive 16 games as a pocket passer. Part of this is TV money and production ruining everyone's brain.

I posted two articles yesterday somewhere that I said failed to actually grasp ANY of Belichick's advantages. Did you know he asks his coaches to evaluate the previous game with players on Monday and then start work on the next opponent Monday night? Stunning, I know.

I think his advantage is that he is not tied to any specific defense or offense and is willing to change them wholesale season to season. And the guy doing the drafting knows exactly what he wants. And he can hit the sweet spot between effective and value (tiny white WRs who are quick but not fast) with regularity.

TL;DR?

EDGE or nickel DT who can pass rush like he breathes. I was hoping the Packers would luck into DeCosta or McCloughan (as uber scout possibly) so they could find the next Suggs or Preston Smith (Wash) or Patrick Willis.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.