Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 LastLast

Thread: Official 2018 nfl draft thread

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...aft/563139002/

Starting with Browns' Baker Mayfield, most intriguing story lines out of the NFL draft

By: Mike Jones, USA TODAY Sports Published 11:32 p.m. ET April 29, 2018 | Updated 4:04 a.m. ET April 30, 2018
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    NFL Draft Scout gave the Packers an A, but this was a nice hint about why they were willing to drop from 14 to 18:

https://www.themaven.net/nfldraftsco...MnoGkg/?full=1

Bears = B-
    Lions = C+
    Vikings = B
    I found this quote interesting, because I think it's how other people look at the Packers.

That said, given that Green Bay's opponents often have no choice but to try to pass the ball aggressively in an effort to keep up with Aaron Rodgers and the Packers' explosive offense, reinforcing the secondary was a must.
    This board generally sees the offense as a bunch of low grade schlubs made great by Rodgers.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    This board generally sees the offense as a bunch of low grade schlubs made great by Rodgers.
    i don't get that impression. it's the D, the secondary generally, that's taken the brunt of the board's disdain...oh...and capers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...hing-decisions

2018 NFL Draft: 5 perfect landings; 3 head-scratching decisions

By Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks NFL.com

P2) Derwin James, S, Chargers (No. 17 overall):

I can't think of a better player/scheme fit than this one. I've referred to James as a faster version of Kam Chancellor. I've also compared him to Keanu Neal. Both players have thrived in the Pete Carroll/Gus Bradley/Dan Quinn defensive system. James will plug in right away and deliver impact plays for the Chargers' defense under Bradley.

Read also:

SAQUON BARKLEY MAKES GIANTS A CONTENDER

published: April 30, 2018 at 12:22 p.m. Updated: April 30, 2018 at 06:20 p.m.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Saquon Barkley making the Giants a contender is hysterical. When is the last time you saw a RB turn a bad team into a good one? I suppose you could argue that Zeke Elliot had a role in turning Dallas around in 2016, but if the Giants contend in 2018 it will be because the defense remedied what was ailing it last year and because Eli rose from the dead. RBs are complementary pieces in today's NFL, not straws that stir drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Saquon Barkley making the Giants a contender is hysterical. When is the last time you saw a RB turn a bad team into a good one? I suppose you could argue that Zeke Elliot had a role in turning Dallas around in 2016, but if the Giants contend in 2018 it will be because the defense remedied what was ailing it last year and because Eli rose from the dead. RBs are complementary pieces in today's NFL, not straws that stir drinks.
    I tend to agree, but some crazy analytics guy was on the radio here the other day talking about how the new helmet rules were going to make running backs even more effective. Also, the focus on stopping the passing game with nickel as base opens up more running plays for teams that scheme for it. So while I think that say the average team, with an average passing offense and an average QB might not be able to exploit these things, perhaps a good QB with good WRs and O-line, with a generational running back like Charles Barkley may be more effective... stay tuned....
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Nothing about this article makes me happy. McCarthy's involvement in the draft, targeting one measurable trait (speed last year, size this year). I am not even sure the article accurately coveys the point of the last two drafts.

I think there was a definite plan to get bigger, faster athletes on defense last year, but only one pick was a surefire size/speed bet. King was at his spot only because of injury concerns. Jones was the real size/speed/tweener target.

This year it was definitely taller WRs (though its not that uncommon for the Packers-Janis/Allison/Nelson/Jones) but not sure the other picks were because of height. The best or second best punter was 6' 5", did they only draft him to be tall?

Jackson was a value pick who the Packers believe is faster than the timed 40 at the combine.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...aft/583601002/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

It started in the second round, when the Packers selected 6-foot, 3/8-inch cornerback Josh Jackson despite suspect speed. Oren Burks, the third-round inside linebacker from Vanderbilt, also has good height for his position at 6-3 1/8.
    This isn't convincing at all

Had to get the dig in at TT too.

I have great respect for the program and Barry Alvarez and Paul (Chryst) and the whole bunch down there," McCarthy said. "I’m glad they’re here. Because I know for a long time (former Packers general manager) Ted (Thompson) was scared to death to bring one into the building. It’s great to have some Badgers in our program.

Had to get the dig in at TT too.
    Couldn't help himself, could he? Way to be classy.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Couldn't help himself, could he? Way to be classy.
    I think you may be leaping to a conclusion that isn’t warranted. Stubby’s comment needed a follow up question.

My first thought was that TT didn’t want the headache that goes with having to cut a hometown favorite. I could be projecting.

Maybe it’s a shot at TT. Reporter should have asked.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I think you may be leaping to a conclusion that isn’t warranted. Stubby’s comment needed a follow up question.

My first thought was that TT didn’t want the headache that goes with having to cut a hometown favorite. I could be projecting.

Maybe it’s a shot at TT. Reporter should have asked.
    Meh. He said what he said. Ask him a follow up question and he probably opts to walk it back. If it was a dig I doubt that any amount of questioning would get him to say it more explicitly. And even if it wasn't meant as a dig, I guess I don't put too much stock in what we think McCarthy thinks he meant. The hatred is there, written on Coach's forehead, even if McCarthy doesn't see it.

Hatred? Really think so? Why? (These are follow up questions about a POV that seems very extreme. I could be a reporter)

Hatred, you know, in contemporary parlance. Haters gonna hate, that kind of hatred. Not rip off your head and shit down your neck hatred, just glad you're gone hatred.

Hatred, you know, in contemporary parlance. Haters gonna hate, that kind of hatred. Not rip off your head and shit down your neck hatred, just glad you're gone hatred.

Shake it off

I'm going to call it here. The Packers will regret letting go experienced receivers. They will experience significant injuries as usual, Adams is largely unproven, and all the receiver draft picks will be injuries or flops. Special teams will also get worse without gunner extraordinaire Jeff janis.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    I'm going to call it here. The Packers will regret letting go experienced receivers. They will experience significant injuries as usual, Adams is largely unproven, and all the receiver draft picks will be ]injuries or flops. Special teams will also get worse without gunner extraordinaire Jeff janis.
    We'll see. Before Jeff Janis there was Jarrett Bush.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I'm not worried about injuries. We'll just get a guy who had a higher nfl.com draft grade than the person we had. Then we'll be all set!
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    I'm going to call it here. The Packers will regret letting go experienced receivers. They will experience significant injuries as usual, Adams is largely unproven, and all the receiver draft picks will be injuries or flops. Special teams will also get worse without gunner extraordinaire Jeff janis.

are you calling Janis an experienced WR ? He was Atrocious
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?