View Poll Results: FOR THE RECORD......HOW WOULD YOU JUDGE DOM CAPERS ??

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I subscribe to Wistology. Dom Capers is a moron and should be fired yesterday

9 27.27%
  • Dom is an Average DC and does a decent job utilizing the talent Ted gives

21 63.64%
  • He's the Dominator and excels as a DC.

3 9.09%

Thread: WHAT IS YOUR VIEW OF DOM CAPERS

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    And I really meant this you idiot - if you don't know anything about football, you should probably keep your commentary restricted to how much like the team colors.
    With authority!
    Packers Defense: What My Eyes Might Be Missing

Packers Yards Allowed

The Numbers: The Green Bay Packers defense ranks 26th in the NFL with 374.4 yards allowed per game. The Atlanta Falcons nearly came back on it Monday night. At first glance, the defense looks very vulnerable over the long haul.

The Truth: No one will mistake the Packers defense for the Seattle Seahawks defense. But there is an incredible amount of fluff in its yardage allowed totals, due to the fact that the Packers offense is so good that opponents rack up gobs of garbage yardage against a prevent defense.

Opponents have accumulated 1,126 passing yards and 359 rushing yards when trailing by 17 or more points (all stat splits come from the Football Outsiders internal database unless noted otherwise). Those 1,485 yards work out to an average of 114.2 yards per game, over 30 percent of the Packers total yardage allowed! It's safe to assume that the Packers defense can tighten up and cut down on that 114.2 yard figure if it has to. After all, those 17-point leads never happen if the defense does not make a few early stops.

Coming at it another way, Football Outsiders ranks defenses by quarter in its Premium Database. Here is how the Packers defense shakes out on a quarter-by-quarter basis:

Packers Defensive Rank by Quarter
    Quarter....Rank
    First.........10th
    Second.....14th
    Third........14th
    Fourth......28th

Football Outsiders' methodology adjusts for late-game blowouts, but it does not completely ignore them; scares like the Packers received on Monday night are a reminder that so-called "meaningless" drives can pile up and cause a problem. But the quarter-by-quarter analysis shows a better-than-average defense through three quarters with a habit of letting up when it enters the fourth leading 48-7. That's as good a defense as the Packers need to remain Super Bowl contenders. When the games are tighter, the Packers are less likely to let up.
    And now I see in another thread that PB once again beat me to the punch.

I love green.
    Last edited by vince; 12-11-2014 at 01:15 PM.