Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
The decline was significant because of the play of the QB. NO offense is gonna be any good if your trigger man stinks. What good would it have done if McCarthy threw his young QB under the bus to the media? When Rodgers went down there weren't a lot of options. Until Brett actually started in a regular season game did we learn he didn't have it. Preseason and practice doesn't really tell ya much. I suppose you can blame Ted for not investing in a veteran backup QB but until AR was lost nobody complained when we spent our cap on other positions. Hindsight is always convenient.

Losing Rodgers for basically the season might turn out to be a blessing in disguise and has forced folks at 1265 to make the changes that were needed. I for one am very excited for 2018.
But that's what he did last time Rodgers went down. They tried Tolzein (who had come from another team), then Seneca Wallace, and had even dipped their toes in the Vince Young experiment in the offseason. Then Matt Bloody Flynn comes in and wins a couple of games (finally). All of fandom was screaming for a talented college QB to be groomed instead of a late round flyer. So TT drafted a guy pundits were expecting in rounds 2-3.

So which is it? A veteran QB? A mid round QB? Or a high draft pick that won't help the team immediately?

Honestly, I could see taking a 2nd round flyer on a guy. But definitely not the first. Unless Gute establishes he's a guru at drafting 2nd round WRs or 4th round lineman, we wouldn't be giving up the next Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, or Davante Adams.

As an aside, I would keep TT on board just for his ability to pull the trigger on the right WR in round 2. That's an impressive list considering.