Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 1314

Thread: 2014 Free Agency Rumors and or Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Alex Mack (Center) has the offer sheet from the Jaguars matched by the Browns.

$46M contract with $26M guaranteed, the highest guarantee of any free agent signed this season! What are we paying Tretter, $500k? This seems unbelievable for a Center.
    It's crazy. But that's why the Jaguars are the Jaguars, and the Browns are the Browns.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

How true that is.

They're running those organizations like a fan would.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    How true that is.

They're running those organizations like a fan would.
    Most fans are a lot smarter than that. For that matter, if fans were running the Packers, would we have paid Brad Jones like that? Or paid Raji anything at all?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Most fans are a lot smarter than that. For that matter, if fans were running the Packers, would we have paid Brad Jones like that? Or paid Raji anything at all?
    I think you overestimate your fellow fans. Most of them, anyway.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

you just don't pay a center that much,i don't care if he's the greatest center to ever play the game. the fact is, he's the 5th most important guy on the o-line

Agreed on that, Red. Well, at least that you don't pay a center that much.

KYPack

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Patler woulda given Scott Wells more!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I feel sad for newts now.
    Got better!

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Patler woulda given Scott Wells more!
    Who was the alternative that year in the debate, Wells versus ... ?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    you just don't pay a center that much,i don't care if he's the greatest center to ever play the game. the fact is, he's the 5th most important guy on the o-line
    Ummm...actually 3rd, arguably 2nd.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Maybe, but many left tackles aren't even paid that. Mack's good, but he's not worth that money IMO. Is there a C in the game worth $8M/yr? I'm not sure there is.

He'll probably be in the Pro Bowl just on the recognition from this contract.

I think with the hybrid defenses being thrown out there right now, centers become more valuable as line calls become more important.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I think with the hybrid defenses being thrown out there right now, centers become more valuable as line calls become more important.
    Exactly, but not 46M valuable.

This would seem to mean that Centers have to be smarter, not necessarily better physically. Maybe that's why it looks like they want to go with a guy from Cornell who scored 30+ on the Wonderlic.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

i don't buy it, its rare when a center has to go 1v1 on a guy, both tackles are definitely more important, and i would say the guards do more work in both the running and passing games

yes, a center does call out blocking assignments at the line, but you don't need to be a rocket scientist to do that. they snap the ball,but how hard is that, really? the QB has his hands cupped around your balls, you're job is to pretty much try and hit yourself in the nuts with the football. then after the snap you help a guard block 1 guy. i just don't see it being that important

and i think proof of that comes in the draft when its pretty rare to see centers going in the first 2 rounds (1 maybe 2 a year)

if i'm a GM, i pay my tackles before i pay my guards, and i pay my guards before my center

and on a side note. the browns now have one of the best LT's, and best centers in the game, yet have jack shit at QB or RB for those guys to block for. whats the point?

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Maybe, but many left tackles aren't even paid that. Mack's good, but he's not worth that money IMO. Is there a C in the game worth $8M/yr? I'm not sure there is.

He'll probably be in the Pro Bowl just on the recognition from this contract.
    He has been to the Pro Bowl twice already, in 2011 as a substitute and in 2013 as an original selection. In 2013 he was also voted 2nd team All-pro, behind only Kalil. He has the recognition without the new contract.

Centers are drafted earlier, in part, because the physical type isn't as rare. Size isn't the same premium it is at Tackle. I don't think that minimizes their role though.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

well, when you look at the way things work a lot of times. if you're a tackle in college, and you can't cut it as a tackle in the pro's, then you move to guard

if you then can't cut it as a guard, or if you were a guard in college but can't cut it there in the pro's, you move to center

CJ3.9YPC remains available. A little surprised by this, I can't see him getting signed before the draft now. I wonder how long before he realizes his salary is going to be a fraction of what he was scheduled to make?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

CJ3.9YPC remains available. A little surprised by this, I can't see him getting signed before the draft now. I wonder how long before he realizes his salary is going to be a fraction of what he was scheduled to make?
    why would anyone want him? he's a giant head case and a distraction for his team. he's a horrible teammate, he's blamed almost every single member of his team over the last couple years for him sucking, and he gets less then 4 yards per carry

you can get that our of a mid round rookie for like 350,000 a year

someone might take a flyer on him for cheap, but my guess is his career is very close to being over