Thread: ARE WE GIVING AROD A FREE PASS ??????????????????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I think he's talking about the coach who was in charge of playcalling during "The Big Choke" a few weeks ago in Seattle.
    I would like you or anyone else to explain what was so terrible about the playcalling. Because we ran the ball late in the game up by 12? Thats just logical. It's the weirdest paradox to me. the same section of fans seem to say aaron was sloppy and innaccurate and not himself because of his injury, yet claim McCarthy is a buffoon for not throwing the ball all over the field with 5 mins left up by 12. Can anyone explain that to me?

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    I would like you or anyone else to explain what was so terrible about the playcalling. Because we ran the ball late in the game up by 12? Thats just logical. It's the weirdest paradox to me. the same section of fans seem to say aaron was sloppy and innaccurate and not himself because of his injury, yet claim McCarthy is a buffoon for not throwing the ball all over the field with 5 mins left up by 12. Can anyone explain that to me?
    The subject has been talked to death in another thread(s). The gist of it is if you have to get over a brick wall to win a game, sometimes it makes sense to jump over the wall rather than keep butting your head against it.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    The subject has been talked to death in another thread(s). The gist of it is if you have to get over a brick wall to win a game, sometimes it makes sense to jump over the wall rather than keep butting your head against it.
    I get what you are saying, but at that point we were up 12 and the only points Seattle had mustered were on a trick play. Therefore it is inaccurate to say we needed to jump over the wall to win. The clock and the scoreboard were our friend. In hindsight a first down would have been great, however incompletions and especially a turnover were much worse outcomes than us running for no gain.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    I get what you are saying, but at that point we were up 12 and the only points Seattle had mustered were on a trick play. Therefore it is inaccurate to say we needed to jump over the wall to win. The clock and the scoreboard were our friend. In hindsight a first down would have been great, however incompletions and especially a turnover were much worse outcomes than us running for no gain.
    Seattle was moving the ball in the second half, just not scoring:
    With 10:53 to go in the 3rd quarter, Seattle had a 6 minute drive, moving the ball from their own 22 yard line to the Packers' 19. Moreover, Wilson and Lynch were beginning to come to life (Wilson had a 29 yard completion to Baldwin, and Lynch had solid runs of 11 and 12 yards.

In the 4th quarter, in the Seattle series just before Burnett's interception, Seattle moved the ball from their own 13 yard line to the 50 yard line, with Lynch having two more solid runs of 13 and 11 yards.
    The conversation starts here if you're interested in the details.

You say the clock was our friend. I don't understand how that can be if you don't run the clock down. The only way you run it down is to get a first down. And I don't understand how you get a first down with one hand tied behind your back, namely half your offense...your passing game.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers